PDA

View Full Version : How does the Prestige Hunter Classic D compared to the Nona Garson Elite: fit/feel?

flyracing
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:25 AM
Background info: So I previously had a Nona Garson Elite that fit my horse great and fit me great, but after an illness (8 weeks in horsey icu and going from a body score of 5+ to a 1) and more than a year recovery the saddle no longer fit. So we went back to the saddle that fit him as a youngster. Now another 2 years after that, the "young horse" saddle doesn't fit again.

To the real question: So now I hope to put him back in a prestige saddle, but I don't plan of doing jumping/eventing again. Instead, I hope to focus on equitation and hunters (hopefully derbies next year!) So how does the Hunter D compare fit and feel wise with the Nona Garson? Normally I would do the whole trial thing, but I have an opportunity to purchase the saddle used at a good price, but with out trial option. Of course, resale is the plan if it doesn't work, but I'd rather know ahead of time if the saddles are not as comparable as my "what it all now" brain want it to be ;).

As a side note, I am aware of the "prestige saddles wear out quickly" argument, so no need to present it. I have owned a prestige from demo condition through 4 years of heavy use with great care (cleaned daily, no jeans, ect.) and it looked beautiful and resold for $2600. My only question is for those with experience with the two specific saddles. Thanks to everyone!

tBHj
Nov. 30, 2009, 01:45 PM
IME (I worked at a tack shop that sold Prestige)...

Both saddles are pretty much the same fit for horse & rider. One has white on it while the other doesn't.

shoponee70
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:50 AM
another thought would be .. if you like the nona.. imo it has a more forward flap than the hunter and a slightly deeper seat..a more jumper design. However both are equally popular in the hunter and eq arenas.

If you like the nona you have why not get the tree adjusted? its about 350 and they can adjust it up or down usually 1 or 2 sizes.
itd be alot cheaper then a new saddle, and i think the turn around time is about 3 weeks. shrug.. just a thought.. The farm house sends them out all the time. 864-457-3557

myvanya
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:10 AM
You can actually get the trees adjusted for less than $350- I got the tree adjusted on my Eventer for $100 plus what it cost me to ship it to the place that did it which was about $50. It took about 2 weeks total but I gather it usually takes less time as mine had originally been adjusted narrower than it had been stamped.

Edited to add- I would ride in what you find comfortable and fits your horse rather than being too concerned with what others might think...to a certain extent I think people don't look that closely...I could be wrong but if you like the Nona and can get one affordably why not go with it since you know you like it?

Mimi La Rue
Dec. 3, 2009, 01:33 PM
I briefly sat in both saddles at my local tack shop and preferred the Nona Garson Elite over the Hunter D. I did not like the Hunter at all, but I prefer a deeper seat with front and rear blocks. The Hunter does not have rear blocks. I ended up buying a Red Fox Royal which priced way less than the NGE and Hunter. I find it very comfortable and it fits my horse well.

flyracing
Dec. 4, 2009, 02:07 AM
I would definitely have the tree adjusted to fit him, but three years ago even that would not have worked, so I sold the saddle. Now we are in a Devoucoux that fits me poorly, but fits him OK if padded up. He doesn't have enough wither width to fill out the regular devoucoux tree. The only saddle that has ever fit him really really well was a pessoa a/o made in the 80's, but my friend will never part from that saddle. The newer pessoa's fit him fine, but it did nothing for me. I'm considering the XP3 with the changeable gullet, but they are rare used at this point (or abused looking) and the new saddle will loose a lot of value after a little use. For that reason I'm shopping in the "well cared for" used saddle market.