PDA

View Full Version : Is this a warning to the eventing world?

His Greyness
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:12 AM
Horse and Hound is reporting that (http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/292321.html) the Australian state of Victoria has banned jump racing (steeple chasing and hurdling). 20 horses have died in such races in the last two years.

Gayla
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:33 AM
20! :eek:

Eventer55
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:18 AM
I'm wondering how many race horses die every year in this country???

Racing will never be banned as it's a huge money sport. We also work hard to make it safer.

deltawave
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:05 AM
I'm wondering how many race horses die every year in this country?

I believe the figure is 1 catastrophic breakdown for approximately every 1000-1200 horses to start. This is for flat racing, and doesn't (I don't think) get down to the specifics re: bowed tendons or slab fractures leading to a horse being euthanized or sent to a slaughterhouse, etc. etc. nor does it account for accidents in the barn or during training. But it's a ballpark figure.

Eventer55
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:13 AM
So then you have to figure out how many horses race every day in this country, then every year and divide it by. . . to get the number of break downs per year.

I would think more than 20 horses are destroyed every year (as opposed to 10) through racing. It sounds like grim figures, but you have to take into account the number of horses going out of a starting gate every day. If you go by percentages it may not be as catastrophic.

further, how many horses jump race in that state and get the percentage of deaths.

I'm just saying this becasue the above poster was shocked at 20 horses, but that may be low for our racing.

foxhavenfarm
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:48 AM
I'm wondering how many race horses die every year in this country???

Racing will never be banned as it's a huge money sport. We also work hard to make it safer.

A whole lot more than 20...

Tiki
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:09 PM
Steeplechasing, hurdling and eventing are NOT big money sports. Only flat racing is - with lots of thumbs in the pie.

JER
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:16 PM
Drvmb1ggl3 explained it well in the thread on the Racing forum (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4526353#post4526353):

No, the attrition rate in Aus jump racing was alarming. There are a couple of reasons for this. First off, jumps racing in Aus is tiny, even smaller than in the US. there is no real proper tradition of NH racing there. They also were notorious for jumping on firm ground, most jump racing eslewhere takes place in fall/winter/spring on softer ground. They also jump these silly portable jumps made of yellow nylon brush that for all intents looks like an up turned broom you'd buy at Home Depot. They horses would just crash through them and not jump them. As you can imagine this could have disastarous results as the horses didn't really respect the fences. They also run really fast. They go out at a flat racing pace, balls out. Then many of their courses are tight circuits, not like the big galloping circuits you see in Europe or the hunt meet courses in the eastern US. All this combines to a recipe for disaster.
All told, it's probably just as well they banned it, as they were clueless as to how to do jump racing properly.

If your interested in death rates in proper NH racing in the UK and Ireland, Animal Aid has put up this (admittedly biased) website: Race Horse Death Watch (http://www.horsedeathwatch.com/)

NH racing -- racing over fences -- doesn't have huge purses (like flat racing) but in the UK and Ireland, NH racing is very popular with the punters. An enormous amount of money is bet on the sport, with the single biggest weekend (in all of sport) being the Grand National.

retreadeventer
Dec. 19, 2009, 01:01 PM
Ah, the beauty of a snow day...time to check out these, "ahem", 'interesting' (I could think of another more descriptive word, but I am not in the mood to hear that train whistle blowing) comments....the blind leading the lame so to speak...in 1999-2002, I kept a record of all the horses who died worldwide in accidents, including racing and sport. From my yearly records an equal number died being hit by automobiles while loose on highways, shot by hunters, etc., as in competition. I don't think eventing has anything to fear anytime soon, OP.