PDA

View Full Version : Moneighs on eBay, including one by Animal Kingdom

grits
Nov. 30, 2009, 02:02 AM
ReRun has 40 Moneighs®, on eBay for their annual holiday auction, including ones by Rags to Riches, Cigar, Medaglia d'Oro, Empire Maker, Lawyer Ron, Kona Gold, and The Green Monkey. :lol:

Moneighs® are original, abstract paintings created by horses, using their muzzles, whiskers, hooves, and tails. A brass plate with the artist's name is attached to the mat, and a lock of mane or tail is attached to the painting as a souvenir. Proceeds from the auction benefit former racehorses in the ReRun program. For more information on ReRun and Moneighs®, visit www.rerun.org.

Check out the paintings (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=moneigh&_sacat=See-All-Categories#item2c51f9cad1). The money goes to a good cause, and the art is fun to critique. (The influence of French Impressionism is apparent in a couple of the paintings, and I even noted an aspiring Gustav Klimt.)

JER
Nov. 30, 2009, 02:02 PM
Cigar (http://cgi.ebay.com/Moneigh-Painting-by-Cigar_W0QQitemZ310185432472QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_S M_Fan_Shop?hash=item48387e1598) has a Cy Twombly thing going. But then he always knew where the money was.

And I see that The Green Monkey's signature color is green. :)

Elly Mae II
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:18 PM
Looks like Rags to Riches has the beginnings of a western saddle on the upper right.
They are sorta like ink blot tests. I think I can see some carousel horses in Funny Cide's picture

Glimmerglass
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:23 AM
Considering Lawyer Ron, rest his soul, died July 10, 2009 I wonder when he painted this work?

Moneigh® Painting by Lawyer Ron (http://cgi.ebay.com/Moneigh-Painting-by-Lawyer-Ron_W0QQitemZ310185433202QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_ Fan_Shop?hash=item48387e1872)

I must say that this speedy work is what I expected of Presious Passion (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310185425747) :)

ETA: LR did works before in 2008 so this was possibly an "early" work

JER
Dec. 1, 2009, 02:08 AM
Considering Lawyer Ron, rest his sole, died July 10, 2009 I wonder when he painted this work?

You might be onto something big. A forged Moneigh...

kookicat
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:40 AM
I quite like those. Wonder what my two could come up with. :)

Glimmerglass
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:09 PM
You might be onto something big. A forged Moneigh...

You mean a tail [sic] in the art world of a Gay Future horse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83hC0TFxHhg) pulling off an art scam? This time not the bookies getting the shaft but Sotheby's ... brilliant :D

danceronice
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:43 PM
I see a certain influence of Chinese brush paintint in Cowtown Cat's art...

ETA--as a regular ebay user, I confess...I'm VERY annoyed by sellers who set opening bids substantially (ie more than $20) below the reserve price. Especially when I'm seeing bids of $300+, on auctions with opening bids of $100, that still haven't met their reserve. It's for charity, sure, but if the minium is $400, for example, it's really not helpful to set the opening bid so low.

grits
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:56 AM
I cannot stop admiring the shape of Presious Passion's foot!

If anybody has ever wanted to own a Moneigh, it looks like these might go as big bargains, compared to past prices. I'm not sure what ReRun will do about the reserves, but they have horses to feed and might be flexible. It's also possible that prices will shoot up at the last minute. For their sake, I hope so.

Jade Hunter (Azeri's dam), Distorted Humor, Zensational, and Leroidesanimaux have very low bids at the moment, considering the artists.

RedMare01
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:00 PM
If you look at the bottom of each item's page, there are pics of the horses creating them...looks like Lawyer Ron to me.

I agree that the prices are low...what do they usually go for? I like the Rags to Riches and MDO ones.

Caitlin

Glimmerglass
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:25 PM
If you look at the bottom of each item's page, there are pics of the horses creating them...looks like Lawyer Ron to me.

That's what they said about Irish runner Gay Future (http://www.rte.ie/tv/scannal/GayFuture.html) too :D

grits
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:49 PM

I know y'all are just horsing around ( :lol: ), but rest assured that LR made the painting before his very untimely death.

I agree that the prices are low...what do they usually go for? I like the Rags to Riches and MDO ones.

Caitlin

The bids on paintings by star horses (especially posthumous work by John Henry, for example) have approached and maybe even exceeded $5K in the past. Cigar's paintings have also brought big bids (over $1,000) in the past, and the current example of his work is the nicest I've ever seen.

And the R2R and MDO paintings are currently bargains!

Glimmerglass
Dec. 4, 2009, 03:24 PM
I know y'all are just horsing around ( :lol: ), but rest assured that LR made the painting before his very untimely death.

We are indeed as I was big fan of LR.

I believe the Smarty Jones works, and those of Funny Cide too, fetched lofty prices as well. No word if Zenyatta or Rachel Alexandra have been ask as well. I could easily see the Mosses agreeing to this charity effort with Z.

grits
Dec. 4, 2009, 04:57 PM
We are indeed as I was big fan of LR.

I believe the Smarty Jones works, and those of Funny Cide too, fetched lofty prices as well. No word if Zenyatta or Rachel Alexandra have been ask as well. I could easily see the Mosses agreeing to this charity effort with Z.

It's worth noting that the paintings by Ruhlmann (not offered by ReRun) and Kona Gold are also posthumous works.

Also, Zenyatta had a painting in the previous ReRun eBay auction, last spring. My advice at the time was that she shouldn't quit her day job. I don't recall the winning bid, but I bet they wish they had another they could put in the current auction. Or maybe they do have another and they are saving it for better times? (Hard to imagine what time could be better than this - at least in terms of fame, if not economy.)

grits
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:19 PM
The paintings sell today, starting at 4:00 pm (EDT). There are still some surprising bargains and also some surprising bigtime bids. It's fun to see which horses have enduring fan bases.

iloverocky
Dec. 6, 2009, 05:47 PM
I won the Cowtown Cat!! It isn't the prettiest, but I love that boy! Did anyone see what the Presious Passion went for- I didn't realize these auctions were ending today and really wanted the PP painting, but by the time I got to ebay it was already ended.

grits
Dec. 6, 2009, 06:13 PM
I won the Cowtown Cat!! It isn't the prettiest, but I love that boy! Did anyone see what the Presious Passion went for- I didn't realize these auctions were ending today and really wanted the PP painting, but by the time I got to ebay it was already ended.

Congrats! PP went for $480.00. Highest bid was for the Midnight Lute - $960.00.

And I had the winning bid on the Funny Cide!

iloverocky
Dec. 6, 2009, 06:18 PM
Grits, congrats to you on the Funny Cide. Thanks for the info on the Presious Passion.

I am happy that the prices went up some late, but it seems it was a year for relative bargains.

midnightride
Dec. 6, 2009, 09:55 PM
i have PP!!!!! love it!!!! he is such a cool horse!!!!!:):)

grits
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:39 PM

Oh, you got that mindboggling hoofprint, then! Nifty.

Okay, everybody partner up with a banker. ReRun does have another Zenyatta Moneigh, and they will be auctioning it just before the Eclipse Awards in January. :D

midnightride
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:53 PM
Oh, you got that mindboggling hoofprint, then! Nifty.

Okay, everybody partner up with a banker. ReRun does have another Zenyatta Moneigh, and they will be auctioning it just before the Eclipse Awards in January. :D

your ass is mine!!!!:D:D

let the war begin!!!

Rachel anyone????? would make a nice set!!!!!;);)

midnightride
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:59 PM
just got email that package is being sent!

very fast!!:)

wonder if they do commissions????

would love to have Moneighs of my kids studs!!!!!
:D

grits
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:29 AM
just got email that package is being sent!

very fast!!:)

wonder if they do commissions????

would love to have Moneighs of my kids studs!!!!!
:D

Mine's in the mail, too. ReRun does a fabulous job of service and presentation. In the past, they have included photos of the horse painting the Moneigh along with the painting, itself. First class folks!

And yes, they will send a crew to your barn and do paintings with your own horses - at least they used to do that. I think they charge per horse and require a minimum number of horses, but my information is several years old. They are wonderful folks to deal with, though. Give them a call or send an email.

iloverocky
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:57 AM

I'm jealous;)

Does anyone have a list of the complete results? I would love to know where a number of them ended in bidding (Bwana Charlie, Zensational, Serena Song, Kona Gold, Lawyer Ron, Medaglia D'Oro, Deweycheatumnhowe, Riley Tucker, Cigar, The Green Monkey).

grits
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:03 AM
I'm jealous;)

Does anyone have a list of the complete results? I would love to know where a number of them ended in bidding (Bwana Charlie, Zensational, Serena Song, Kona Gold, Lawyer Ron, Medaglia D'Oro, Deweycheatumnhowe, Riley Tucker, Cigar, The Green Monkey).

I kept track. :lol:

The final bids shown on eBay might have been eclipsed by additional bidding that didn't show, but I noted the bids with 1" remaining on each painting.

Bwana Charlie, $150.00
Zensational, $207.50
Serena's Song, $350.00
Kona Gold, $415.00
Lawyer Ron, $514.00
Medaglia d'Oro, $405.00
Deweycheatumnhowe, painting disappeared from list before selling date (?)
Riley Tucker, $163.49
Cigar, $610.00
The Green Monkey, $255.00

iloverocky
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks, Grits. There really were some big bargains to be had this year.

dbtoo
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:01 PM
Congratulations on getting Presious Passion's Moneigh. I bid but I guess I lost out to you.

I was able to get Zensational's instead :)

I'm really surprised at Midnight Lute getting the highest bids this year. Does anyone know why?

midnightride
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:07 PM
Sorry ;) I chased Rags to Riches up a long way and gave up... personally i thought Presious Passion was a better painter anyway:lol:

Zen's was nice (I have a Posse filly so a bit of a Kodak Kowboy fan myself;) )

grits
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:24 PM
Zenyatta the munificent is hard at work on her Moneighs and other charitable contributions (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/54386/zenyatta-helping-fellow-horses).

caffeinated
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:57 PM
Zenyatta the munificent is hard at work on her Moneighs and other charitable contributions (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/54386/zenyatta-helping-fellow-horses).

what a class act! I can't wait to see her moneigh!

Hopefully next year I'll actually be able to get one, they're just great :)

midnightride
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:47 PM
i think the true debt of gratitude should go to the fans.... after all they are the ones buying these items- the shirts, mugs, stickers etc..... and the limited items like halters and Moneighs are expensive!!!!! and you must, must, MUST be a loyal TB follower to pay that kind of money- even knowing it goes to a good cause..... Zenyatta has made great strides in her pursuit of greatness but her fans have made greater in their pursuit of benefiting the TB!!!!!:D

grits
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:25 AM
According to "Moneigh Mary":

" . . . the Zenyatta ones will be on our webstore and not on ebay. Bidders should go to our website, www.rerun.org and click on the brownish box on the right that says, The ReRun Shop. There will be a painting on for her retirement party on Dec 26 and another on there the week before Eclipse awards, ending Jan 18."

So, that's two opportunities to bid on paintings by Zenyatta. I'll update the thread when I hear anything further about when the paintings will be available for viewing.

grits
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:53 PM
Here's ReRun's press release, hot off the presses:

RERUN ANNOUNCES SALE OF ZENYATTA MONEIGH®

ReRun, the nonprofit Thoroughbred adoption program, announced today that two Moneighs created by Zenyatta will be available for sale on its online ebay store on December 26, 2009. On that day Zenyatta, the Breeders’ Cup Classic winner with an unbroken 14 for 14 win record, will make her final appearance at Santa Anita Racetrack’s Opening Day in a parade before fans.

There will also be a special Winners Circle ceremony to honor the spectacular career of Zenyatta who will retire to be one of the world’s most sought after broodmares.

The special online sale will also feature two Moneighs® by Zenyatta’s stablemate, Life is Sweet, winner of the Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic. The horses create the paintings by using their muzzles, whiskers, hoof, and tail.

“Moneigh Mary Simons,” who heads up ReRun’s Moneigh fundraising program, said the “Zenyatta Moneighs commemorate her brilliance and exit from the racing stage and that she and Life is Sweet are raising needed funds to help less famous Thoroughbreds get good homes.” The ebay store is on ReRun’s website, http://www.facebook.com/l/58531;www.rerun.org, which is also the site of ReRun’s annual fundraising campaign.
--------------------

iloverocky
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:29 AM
Don't forget today is the day that a Zenyatta Moneigh (as well as a Life is Sweet one) will go on sale at the Re-run ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/The-ReRun-Shop

Hopefully the girls can bring in big bids.

grits
Dec. 26, 2009, 12:32 PM
I think ReRun plans to sell 2 Zenyatta Moneighs along with 2 by Life is Sweet, but I sure wish I knew what time the paintings will be displayed. I've been fatiguing my mouse since 7am this morning.

grits
Apr. 25, 2010, 06:26 PM
30 new paintings just posted by ReRun on eBay for their KD week celebration. One is by Zenyatta.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-ReRun-Shop__W0QQ_fsubZ16275011

grits
May. 2, 2010, 12:24 PM
Moneighs sell today in about 4 hours from now. There are some real bargains - although you might have to mortgage everything you own to afford Zenyatta's painting. Life is Sweet's artwork is getting a good price, too! And I'm pleased to see that Evening Attire's artistic talent is attracting some good bids.

iloverocky
May. 2, 2010, 12:31 PM
And I'm pleased to see that Evening Attire's artistic talent is attracting some good bids.

I love Evening, and I think he has a lot of artistic talent; I love his painting.

Joanne
Nov. 4, 2010, 10:15 PM
Resurrecting this old post:

Anyone know what Zenyatta's Moneigh went for?

COinNJ
Nov. 11, 2010, 02:40 PM
$2,000.

grits
May. 27, 2013, 12:52 PM
ReRun has 19 items up for bids on eBay this week, including paintings by Animal Kingdom, Shackleford, Groupie Doll, Go for Gin, Cigar, Rapid Redux and a host of others.

Moneighs® are original, abstract paintings created by horses, using their muzzles, whiskers, hooves, and tails. A brass plate with the artist's name is attached to the mat, and a lock of mane or tail is attached to the painting as a souvenir. Proceeds from the auction benefit former racehorses in the ReRun program. For more information on ReRun and Moneighs®, visit www.rerun.org.

Check out the paintings. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/rerunthoroughbred/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p2047675) The money goes to a good cause, and the art is fun to critique.