PDA

View Full Version : What are you paying for pallets of pellets? :)

GoForAGallop
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:39 PM
Not particularly interested in what everyone is paying for individual bags, just those buying pallets at a time.

My local supermarket has stove pellets for $249 a pallet. Tractor Supply and my local farmer's co-op both have both the horse pellets and the stove pellets at $300 a pallet.

I'm looking for a place that sells the pellets in those huge bags, but when I found one last year the savings (maybe all of $20) wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with the giant bags/scooping pellets into buckets to transport/etc.

So...I'm in MA....what sort of deals has everyone found?

Calvincrowe
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:08 PM
I paid $200 for a ton of wood pellets about a month ago. Those are 40 lb. bags, $4/bag.

MistyBlue
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:22 PM
Whoa, that's not a bad price Calvin.
Last time I bought a pallet of Woody Pet it was $265 a pallet IIRC. That was about 4-5 years ago I think though. 65 bags at 30# per bag. Just under a ton. That averaged about $4 per bag then and that was $0.50 off per bag for the pallet price.
With the riding costs of everything wood related (especially anything for use with horses) I buy by the bag now and it's $7 per bag. :eek: :no: :eek: But the feed store is 6 minutes or so from my house and I go through one bag per stall per week so just buy as I need it. I pick up an extra bag here and there if we're going to have a few days of really crappy keep-them-in weather.

*sigh* Everything's gone up. When I moved my horses home just under 6 years ago I was paying $4 per bale of hay, $11 50# bag of grain, $9 for dengi and $9 for cubes. Hay's now $5 per bale (not too bad there) but that grain is now $18 per bag and the cubes and dengi are both $17 per bag. Seriously don't know how the companies justify a cost hike like that in about 5 years. :no:

threedogpack
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:45 PM
$250 a ton wood pellets

something less than that for cherry pits.

Cherry pits are new to me this year, they burn MUCH hotter than the pellets.

has anyone else used them?

MistyBlue
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:48 PM
Never even heard of using cherry pits. For a woodstove only I'm guessing? (and not for stalls?)
Huh, learn something new every day. I would never have thought of burning cherry pits. Do they burn as long as wood pellets too? Or just hotter?

GoForAGallop
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:31 PM
$250 a ton wood pellets

something less than that for cherry pits.

Cherry pits are new to me this year, they burn MUCH hotter than the pellets.

has anyone else used them?

:lol: Here I was thinking that cherry pits must be some sort of weird regional bedding before I read farther and saw that you burn them....sometimes I forget that people associate wood pellets with things apart from horse bedding!

Vivace
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:56 PM
We have them at my TSC for $4.39/bag, or $209.50/ton.

GoForAGallop
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:59 PM
We have them at my TSC for $4.39/bag, or $209.50/ton.

Wow, that's much much cheaper than mine. Location?

tuppysmom
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:54 AM
$140 a ton plus delivery. We usually get 2 to 4 pallets at a time to spread the
delivery charge. I try to stock up in the spring/summer when they are on sale.

shea'smom
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:01 AM
Dang. A pallet is $280 plus tax here. I have 22 stalls, but I do like having DRY bedding instead of whatever the sawdust guy can get.

threedogpack
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:26 PM
Never even heard of using cherry pits. For a woodstove only I'm guessing? (and not for stalls?)
Huh, learn something new every day. I would never have thought of burning cherry pits. Do they burn as long as wood pellets too? Or just hotter?

well color me embarassed.

yes, I thought we were talking pellet STOVES. Sorry folks. They do burn as long but there is a bit more ash.

tuppysmom
Dec. 1, 2009, 09:05 PM
Well, they make the pellets about 15 miles from here. Just last spring I found that I could by from the plant for this price.

If I bought them by the ton from the local Home Depot, or such, the price would be closer to $250.

Don't know why I would "that" again though!!!!

We have only 19 stalls to bed and most of our own horses live outside 24/7. In the dead of winter we go thru about 2 - 3 pallets per month.

Calvincrowe
Dec. 1, 2009, 10:07 PM
I've noticed lots of feed stores advertising wood stove pellets and animal bedding pellets (essentially the same thing) for $200/ton this fall. Significant savings over last year. Seems no big shortage locally. I bought wood stove pellets, as I know where they came from (Montana) so I'm pretty confident no black walnut is in there. Darker in color than our local Doug Fir variety, but cheaper. Doing a good job in the stalls.

However, I did buy some bagged "pine" shavings at the same time, and it seems that they are actually made from chipped pallet boards:eek:. Not exactly what is advertised on the outside. I went on their website (brand name) and saw that they are buying pallets and used lumber for their "shavings production line". Great. Glad I forked out $9/bag for that.

chicamuxen1
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:59 AM
Stove pellets should be made of hardwood, most are.

Bedding pellets should be made of pine, most are.

In some areas of the country where lumbar is primarily pine or fir the stove pellets may not be true hardwood. Not so good for the stove and stove pipe but will work for bedding.

In some areas of the country the bedding pellet bag doesn't say pine because it's not pine. It may say "Softwood" which isn't the same as pine and doesn't begin to absorb urine like pine pellets will. I found that out first hand.

If you live where you can purchase bulk sawdust you may find that you get oak or poplar sawdust which is from green wood and wet. Even when dry its not as good as pine. But mixing some pine pellets into the damp sawdust will swell the pellets from the moisture and make a pretty good combo bedding that is drier than the straight sawdust and cheaper than straight pellets. This is the method that I use here in Maryland where it's been hard to get pine sawdust this year.

chicamuxen

Vivace
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:00 PM
Wow, that's much much cheaper than mine. Location?

Ludington, MI

sunridge1
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:12 PM
I just paid $223 for a ton of premium soft-wood pellets. However, I have a contract and am a premium customer. Northern WI.

Helpful hint- softwood burns hotter and is WAY cleaner.

Chardavej
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:59 PM
I just paid $223 for a ton of premium soft-wood pellets. However, I have a contract and am a premium customer. Northern WI.

Helpful hint- softwood burns hotter and is WAY cleaner.

But if pine clogs the chimney or flue with cresote, or however you spell. : )

Ozone
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:09 PM
:lol: Here I was thinking that cherry pits must be some sort of weird regional bedding before I read farther and saw that you burn them....sometimes I forget that people associate wood pellets with things apart from horse bedding!

$249.00 a ton, 50 bags, 40lbs. but I also thought we were talking pellet stove - pellets :D

People around here are using pellet stove pellets for their horses stalls... :confused:

My stove burns cherry pits, corn, grass and wood! Great invention!

Ozone
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:10 PM
But if pine clogs the chimney or flue with cresote, or however you spell. : )

It won't ... pellet stoves don't, or do not have to run through a chiminey - they insert right out the wall of the house.

It is not code to run a pellet stove up the same chiminey that oil burns out of...

GoForAGallop
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:18 PM
People around here are using pellet stove pellets for their horses stalls... :confused:

I don't see an issue with that, that's exactly what I do. The stove pellets are usually hardwoods, but that's not an issue for me as long as they don't contain black walnut. Most of the pellets come from areas where black walnut doesn't grow--a quick call to any company will get a company rep who'll tell you that. I, personally, find the hardwood pellets just as absorbant as the pine pellets. And, of course, since there's no horse head on the label, they're much cheaper!