PDA

View Full Version : Hay and vets in Aiken

Laddy Boy
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hi - I will be in Aiken for the winter and was hoping to have some recommendations on vets to use. I guess I should make contact with a practice before I get down there just to be sure that I have someone to call "in case"! I'm renting stalls at a barn so I'm sure I could use that barn's vet, but I'd still like some recommendations.

Also, how much should I expect to pay for hay and can anyone recommend a supplier or a feed store that sells hay?

Thanks!

RiverBendPol
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:28 PM
Lisa Handy Lisa Handy Lisa Handy. She is fabulous. Carolina Equine Clinic.
Aiken Saddlery has lovely hay. Plan to pay dearly for it. We're taking our own from home.
Where's your barn?

KG1
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:50 PM
Completely agree! Dr. Handy is fantastic, very knowledgable, friendly, up front and always available!

I get my hay from a guy outside of Aiken...his name is Danny 803-480-5482...I get the pure alfalfa and a mix but he has all kinds...very reasonably priced and the most beautiful hay we have found here!

Iris
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:41 PM
We settled on Linda Hickey with Aiken Equine. 803-648-0430. Very knowledgable, friendly, easy to reach. She's in practice with John Haddon and one of them is always available promptly for emergencies. They have a very friendly and efficient office manager which I also find to be quite helpful in keeping the medical needs of our herd met in a timely and organized fashion. We use Aiken Saddlery as our source for beet pulp, flax seed and alfalfa hay. We buy our coastal hay from a local grower. Weeks carries the Triple Crown line of formulated feeds and Aiken Saddlery has started to carry it as well along with other premium brands such as Pennfields. Tractor Supply has the best price on alfalfa cubes. Boots, Bridles and Britches often has the best prices on horsey sundries. Good luck!