PDA

View Full Version : Who else has gotten a horse/pony for Christmas?

BlueBobRadar
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:32 PM
So, has anyone else gotten a horse for Christmas? Back in '02 I got my first horse as a Christmas present. It was a complete suprise and I was so excited! It was snowing and everything. :)

Anyone else have a story to share?

Hunter Mom
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:35 PM
I got Mare two years ago, a combo birthday/Christmas gift. Now that I'm a grown-up, i'm not sure it really counts, but I thought it did :)

hellerkm
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:46 PM
DD just got a pony for Thanksgiving, I am awful and there was NO way I could wait until Christmas :eek::eek:, my secrete keeping skills are NOT that good!!!

danceronice
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:48 PM
My neighbor gave us a pony for Christmas when I was seven.

Bonus points: He didn't ask my parents before he did this. He just put a bow on her halter, walked her over, and tied her to the hitching post in our corral. She was just a grade pony (half Appy, half POA, solid bay without a speck of white, striped hooves or a visible sclera on her) but she was the best Christmas present ever.

*andi*
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:56 PM
I got my first horse in 2001 as my Christmas present. A little "gift certificate" was hidden in the pocket of a hoodie I got... I bawled my eyes out! Best gift ever!

Noctis
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:01 PM
I'm getting one this year! Courtesy of my WONDERFUL husband (for saying yes) and our amazing Reynard Ridge. Took a lot of years, but I get my wish of a Pony for Christmas!

Puddin Pie
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:01 PM
Christmas 1985, one half arabian 2 year old gelding (what were we thinking?!). I wish that I still had the card from my dad for him. While Dad is gone now, I still have Dandy, now aged 26!

shawneeAcres
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:19 PM
Yes, my first horse I got in 1971 (boy am I old!) at Christmas. of course I was PRAYING for a horse, but Christmas morning came and went and we opened presents and alas no horse. But after breakfast, my mother says "Hey there is a present left behind the tree" and told me to climb under there and see who it was for. It was for me (of course!) I opened it and it as a halter, and on it was a tag that said"

"I am a halter, a halter for a horse, a horse named Star, Star is a fine horse, he lives at White Oaks, Mommy and Daddy are going to take you to see Star today because...."

and on the back:

"He is your horse!"

Oh my GOD I just cried and cried and then bugged the h*ll out of my parents to get in the car and go see him NOW! of course I had to wait til after Christmas dinner etc! I kept that little tag for many years and somewhere in the box of a million slides are photos of me on that day with him, in my minds eye I can still see them! Star lived with me all his life, finally having a cerebral hemmorage, well into his 20's in the late 80's. I put that poor horse thru HELL with all the things I made him do! LOL

showmom858
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:38 PM
DD got her curren horse last Christmas. Our trainer had made a trip to Florida last December and found him for us and we were in the process of vet checking and buying him. DD had already picked out a barn name for him, but she didn't know that the vet check came back good, so on Christmas morning when she looked in her stocking she found a tiny chestnut horse with a tag that said his name and that he would be coming from Florida soon!

SOTB
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:43 PM
I got my first horse for my 10th birthday (totally thought I had taken my last 3 lessons on the new lesson horse so I was VERY surprised). My parents gave my sister a pony for Christmas one year. We took pictures of the pony with a HUGE red velvet ribbon on his halter. We had the picture blown up and she opened the picture on Xmas day. I had tried the pony so she had never even seen him - she was super surprised. It was awesome.

SkipChange
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:56 PM
I got a 15.1 Appendix for christmas when I was in 5th grade. My first horse and I couldn't have been happier :D

One of my friends got a horse for christmas oh about 7th or 8th grade. It was a horse she had been riding for a while after her fancy A circuit hunter went "crazy" and got sold. Well this christmas horse was an absolute nutcase. Not much scope and hot like a firecracker. He fractured his skull somehow and I didn't think he was 'right in the head. I guess it worked out for her but I wish she had gotten something nicer...but she seemed happy enough with him although she never showed again and ended up switching to western.

Valeureux
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
I got my boy as a xmas present 3 years ago. We had been horse shopping and found a couple we liked. I had really liked Roo though, great jumper, awesome to ride. Stuck between him and another horse, but I though my parents would shoot him down b/c of the price tag. The day before xmas my parents said we were going to a dog friendy restraunt. Went driving and I noticed we were heading to the barn. Pulled into the barn parking lot and I still had no clue. Thought it was a barn party or something, and when I went to go give my favorite lesson horse an apple, I saw Roo's stall with a big red bow on it. I was estatic :)

dghunter
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:18 PM
I got my first horse 8 years ago. He was at the barn I was riding at and my parents told me he sold :eek::no: I cried and cried and cried. My parents didn't know I was so upset or else they would have told me sooner. But then a couple weeks later I overheard my Mom on the phone talking about him :D When we got to the barn he had a bow on his stall and a saddle outside it with a horse angel on top of it. Super cute.

Bogie
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:19 PM
I got this one. Does it count?

A pony under the tree. (http://equineink.wordpress.com/2008/12/25/a-pony-under-the-tree/)

buck22
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:19 AM
oh my bogie, thats adorable!!!

I don't know if mine counts, I got a pony for Christmas when I was 9 or 10, but I never actually met the pony!!

I was a horse crazy kid taking lessons at a nearby stable. My non-horsey parents decided to buy me a pony for Christmas, not knowing anything they hired a broker and ended up finding a palomino arabx mare from way up north (I had a fascination with buckskins as a kid and they got as close as they could!), like Maine or something, and had her shipped down. They moved her into a stable, had a brass plaque made with her name and "owned by: xxx" underneath.

The gameplan was to bring me to the stable Christmas Day after brunch and I'd wander down with my carrots and see the pony mare and my name on the stall. Meanwhile, waiting under the tree for me were buckets and brushes and halters and blankets, and well everything.

WELL, Christmas Eve (and I remember this night vividly) my Mother sits me down and starts asking me some questions.... "Darling, would you like a pony?" well YEAH! "Do you realize that if you had a pony, your normal life would be over? Every day you'd have to go ride and groom and care for your pony after school, you couldn't ever go out with your friends or be involved in any school activities. Every Saturday and Sunday while your friends are going to the parks or beach, you'd be with your pony all day, bathing and brushing and exercising...." well, my Mom gave me this huge 5 minute speech on how I'd never be a normal kid again, I'd have no friends, no life, just me and the pony day in and day out for decades, how I'd get blisters on my hands from the grueling work, winters would be freezing.... etc, etc, she basically scared the dickens out of me! lol!

At the end of the speech she says "Now darling, are you *sure* you want a pony?" I was totally terrified at this point and mumbled "uhm, I don't know if I'm ready for a pony...."

GASP! My mom shuffled me to bed, my parents ran around getting all of the horsey stuff out from under the tree, my Dad rang up the original owner of the pony and told him to come get his horse, and my parents ran to Bradlee's all night sale and picked up some random toys and clothes to stick under the tree.

My mom never told me the story. Turns out it was the best thing because 2 years later my parents divorced and I would've had to have given up my beloved pony anyhow.

13 years ago, I start riding again as an adult. I fall in love with a buckskin mustang, and bought him the day after Christmas.

I take pictures of my new horse, bring them to my Mom, and thats when she tells me the Christmas Pony story, my whole life I never knew!

NeverEnd
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for taking me back to memory lane!

When I was nine, a new pony had come to the barn where I was taking lessons. I was chosen to "train" her - I felt very special. I had been riding her for about two months when my trainer told me she had been sold and that I had to say goodbye to her. I sadly gave her carrots and hugs and secretly wished she was mine.

A few days later, I saw my aunt's horse trailer coming down our long driveway. I couldn't understand why my aunt would be bringing her horses to our house. I ran outside to see what this was all about. Down goes the back ramp, and there she was: MY pony with a big red Christmas bow attached to her halter. I looked at my mom and asked, "Is she for me?" Mom said, "Merry Christmas!"

'Jolly' instantly became a member of our family whom we treasured until 2005 when she passed at 27 yrs old. There will never be another one like her!

myalter1
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:20 AM
OK shawnee - that made me cry. really. i am sitting at my desk with tears running down my cheeks.

LSM1212
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:45 AM
Yep... my current horse! Though he wasn't a surprise (since I picked him out)... the fact that he was delivered right before Christmas was the surprise. Figured I'd have to wait until after the holidays since we did the PPE on Dec 22nd and was told he couldn't be shipped until after the holiday. But when I went to the barn on Christmas day, there he was! :D

And thanks to my hubby for paying for 1/2 of him as a gift. He says he bought the back half. LOL

And almost 4 years later, he's still mine. :winkgrin:

Mango7
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:06 PM
I got my first horse for christmas in 2004. My parents bought the gelding I had leased for 2 years about a month before because his owner needed to sell him and kept it a secret until christmas. I kind of knew because we were moving about 9 hours away and I had told them didn't want to leave him, but still the best present ever.

Rikerkv6
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:51 PM
I got my first horse for Christmas when I was 11. I think it was actually a few days before Christmas. We always used to decorate the stalls of our favorite horses for Christmas. Everyone told me to go take a look at the decorations on his stall. I was pissed at first because I thought someone else decorated the stall of my favorite horse! HAHA. Then I noticed the card on his stall said he was to me from Santa. He was 3 and bucked me off every chance he got :D I still have the horse at 16 and he is still a riot. He taught me a LOT.

heatherny2
Nov. 30, 2009, 01:05 PM
:yes: When I was 9, I already had a pony that we kept at my mom's friend's barn. One of the other horses there had a foal earlier that year and I was lucky enough to be present for the birth - my Dad took pictures of the birth and the adorable palomino foal. Of course we worked with and saw the foal on a daily basis, but I just assumed it would be sold. That Christmas we opened presents as usual and low and behold I open a box with a framed picture of the foal. I didn't quite understand why my parents gave me a picture, but said thank you. My Mom then said, that is your horse. I just about died I was so excited!! My own horse!! and I saw her born!! We named her Taxi (Brass Tax) and I literally grew up with her and we were best friends.
(She sadly had to be put down when she was around 25, but I will definitely never forget her, my first HORSE and best friend)

JinxyFish313
Nov. 30, 2009, 01:19 PM
When I was 7 or so my brother decided to give me his pony, even though we had been sharing him for years anyway. He and my mom got the husband of the barn accountant to dress up as santa, put Spike in green and red polos with a red cooler and a santa hat and everything. I think he might have had all new tack on too. "Santa" led Spike into the indoor in the middle of the barn's Christmas party, which was in the lounge/viewing area so eeeeeeeveryone who boarded or took lessons saw santa bringing my gift in. I remember being incredibly excited even though to me he had been my pony or 5 years already. The oooh's, ahhh's, and awww's from the crowd were a little embarassing, but I don't think I've ever liked my brother more than I did that night :)

Dooner
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:39 PM
As a kid who rode lease horses from 11 - 21, that was always my dream.

This year I'd love to find a buyer under the tree, they seem to be harder to come by! ;)

Show_hunters
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:11 PM
I am and I'm soo excited!!!!!! Just bought a horse that is set to arrive from Germany in about 2 weeks! My first import. Can't wait to see him.

Thomas_1
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:17 PM
I got the first pony of my own that I didn't have to share with siblings as a joint Christmas and Birthday present. (birthday 3rd January)

Had a further 2 horses during my life just the same.

Got my granddaughter a pony for Christmas a couple of years ago. She rode it in her pyjamas!!!

Roxy SM
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:00 PM
What great topic! I love all these stories and hope more are posted. I think we all wished as kids that we'd get a horse/pony for Christmas. I got my first horse when I was 12, and he was amazing. Had the scope for 1.30 and we won all over in the Children's and Modified Junior Jumpers on the A circuit before I even really knew what I was doing. The funny thing is all those years as a little kid wishing I'd find a pony in my backyard one Christmas, I would've been happy with anything with four legs and hair!

Prima Donna
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:09 PM
I also got a "pony" for Christmas. My Dad got an old carousel horse, repainted it, and mounted it on a wood platform. I would put my saddle on and practice posting without stirrups. It took up most of my room but I kept it there for years. Now I just need to live somewhere with an extra room for the carousel horse :)

I got this one. Does it count?

A pony under the tree. (http://equineink.wordpress.com/2008/12/25/a-pony-under-the-tree/)

gettingbettereveryday
Dec. 1, 2009, 03:02 PM
I did! He came home last Wednesday, but he's my Christmas/birthday/Christmas present for the 2009-2010 gift-giving season. :)

I was totally privy to the purchasing process, but when my husband asked what I wanted for Christmas (I think he was hoping I'd say sexy lingerie), I said "a new horse that doesn't spook all the time and make me feel like giving up riding." So that's what we found and what made its way into my Christmas stocking, er, stall!

I did get a little Shetland pony for my fifth birthday. My grandmother bought it an auction, and my parents gave it to me. My mother made a big deal about me getting to name her. This pony was literally as wide as she was tall and dapple grey, so I said "Snowball!!!" and without missing a beat, my mother said "How about Dapple?" I must have given her a deafening look because we ended up agreeing on "Dapple Snowball Lee" as that poor pony's final name. My mother insisted on calling her Dapple, and I never stopped calling her Snowball, which pretty much sums up my relationship with my mother some 35 years later. Ha ha.

Anyway, this thread has got me all choked up. These stories are so great.

WorthTheWait95
Dec. 1, 2009, 05:24 PM
My dad wrapped up my first horses papers in a GIGANTIC box the christmas I was six years old. He made me wait to open it until last (which was torture since it was the biggest box I had ever seen). He had wrapped up boxes within boxes and by the time I got down to the very small envelope at the center I was really confused. I remember screaming and forcing dad to drive me to the barn in my PJ's and slippers :lol:.

I've been given 4 or 5 other horses for christmas but I'll never forget that first horse.

samanthamay
Dec. 1, 2009, 09:24 PM
Ah memories - In 1964, I was 12 years old and I got a pony for Christmas. It was a total surprise and I named him Noel. I was your typical horse crazy kid but I am not even sure I ever dreamed of actually owning a pony. On Christmas Eve, my sisters and I came home from riding lessons and were sent around back. My Christmas present was in the garage- a cute welsh cross pony. He was delivered in an open U Haul trailer. He spent the night in our garage in a residential neighborhood and managed to escape. Our neighbors laughed for years about seeing the pony on their lawn and thinking they were seeing things from a few too many drinks the night before.
My family wasn’t a horse family and a family friend helped Dad pick the pony out. We kept him at their farm and I had a blast combing the countryside with him. To this day I don’t know why Santa gave me the pony.
Life does go full circle. I took a long break from horses. After my daughters took riding lessons for a few years, we moved from suburbia to the country so they could keep ponies at home. I am riding again too and we have a paddock filled with ponies and horses. Life is good! May the magic of Christmas be with you all!

HARROLDhasmyheart
Dec. 1, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have never gotten a horse or pony for Christmas (is it wrong that I still hold out hope and I'm 20?) but once I did get a horse-show for Christmas! I had been asking my mom forever and ever and ever if I could show at Pebble Beach--I wanted to SO badly. She just kept saying "we'll see" or "not right now." On christmas day, there was a note pinned to the fireplace that said "To Sara from Santa: One Pebble Beach Horse Show." Best Christmas present ever!!

jackandlily
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:25 PM
I have never gotten a horse or pony for Christmas (is it wrong that I still hold out hope and I'm 20?) but once I did get a horse-show for Christmas! I had been asking my mom forever and ever and ever if I could show at Pebble Beach--I wanted to SO badly. She just kept saying "we'll see" or "not right now." On christmas day, there was a note pinned to the fireplace that said "To Sara from Santa: One Pebble Beach Horse Show." Best Christmas present ever!!

That's not wrong! I still hold out too, hoping my 21st Christmas this year is the one. I just never understood why my mom always said I was so hard to shop for; I always thought it was pretty obvious! ;)

edited because I said birthday, not Christmas. Though I'll take a horse for a birthday present, too!

Mamy
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:52 AM
My DH and I are going on Sunday to pick up our kids first pony. This will be part of their Christmas present. I am now wishing I did not tell them we were doing it!! It would be so cool to surprise them with a pony!! And I have to say I am SO SO SO stinking excited!!!! I have a horse, but for some reason a pony is just SO exciting!!!!

Tiffany01
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:57 PM
my mom and grandma bought my horse Dec 1st 2006. I had her on a trial Nov 26th 2006 for 4 days then we bought her and 3 yrs later she won me 2 rev championships and 3rd overall highpoint.

JWB
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:31 PM
When I was 12 and in Pony Club, a retired lady at our church offered me a summer loan of her appy while she went north for the summer (snow bird). Domino came to our barn and I had a blast with him. It was a great fit. In the fall, I was dreading having to send him back home. I knew she loved him but I loved him too. She kept on pushing back the pick-up date - first to let me go to a rally, then because she was out of town, then for another show.... It was mid-December when she called and told me that Domino would be staying at my barn. I was THRILLED. I'd been leasing him for half a year but he was my Christmas present that year (along with LOTS of new tack)

I rode him until college and countless other pony club kids rode him after me. Domino did one B rating, two C-3 ratings, two C-2 ratings, six C-1 ratings and LOTS of D-1 through D-3 ratings. He was a very special, very honest horse who would jump whatever was in front of him, turn it on for a strong rider, and baby sit a beginner.

mypaintwattie
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:42 PM
Growing up I always wanted the pony under the tree, but Santa never was able to bring it until I was an adult. Two years ago (today actually is the anniversary) I got my Christmas Horse a few weeks early. I found her when I wasn't even looking to buy a horse, fell in love and ended up buying her on the spot. She wasn't gift wrapped under the tree, but to me it's close enough!

TheOrangeOne
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:11 AM
I got my pony for christmas. I had been riding her in my lessons for a couple months and adored the pony. My parents and trainer had this whole elaborate story about how she was being sent to the barn for a few months over the winter because they had to sell her and wanted to make sure she would be good for little girls. I was a smart kid, so they had to make it plausible. However, the night before Christmas, my parents told me that someone had bought Patches for their daughter for christmas and I wouldn't see her again. :eek::cry: I was still quite upset Chistmas morning when they told me there was a little present left for me under the tree. I started crying when I opened it! It was a picture of Patches with a bow around her neck! They couldn't even take me a seperate picture, they just got doubles printed up. Rude. So then I burst into tears, parents were really confused, it required some explanation and convincing that yes, I really did get a pony for Christmas. And that day I got to go out to the barn just so that I could smell her. Because I could. :yes:

I'm asking for a big horse this year! However, mother told me she would get me a photo collage with all the pictures of my newly retired show horse that I never bought. I think I'll cry just as much as I did when I got the pony.

llsc
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:00 PM
I got the first pony of my own that I didn't have to share with siblings as a joint Christmas and Birthday present. (birthday 3rd January)

Had a further 2 horses during my life just the same.

Got my granddaughter a pony for Christmas a couple of years ago. She rode it in her pyjamas!!!

And where are the pictures Thomas???

I got my girls a pony on Christmas Eve a few years ago. There isn't a better Nanny pony on earth.

Here are some pictures of him with my older daughter on the day we bought him, almost 3 years ago and some other assorted pics through the years.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556586868uRWOjK

And here he is with my litle one winning the leadline at Upperville in 2008.

http://www.teresaramsay.com/details.php?gid=1247&sgid=&pid=59037

Hot Soup
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:06 PM
I asked (more like begged and pleaded) for a horse for Christmas every year as a kid. I'm 25 now and still throw it on the top of the wish list.

I remember when I was about 13, I asked for one of the life-size plastic model horses that were for sale at State Line Tack that they used to model saddles and blankets. I thought this was much more reasonable to ask for as a Christmas gift (no feed, mucking, boarding required!) and that I would get it for sure! I figured it would be good enough to pretend I was riding. I didn't get that either.

Looks like I'll have to treat myself to a Christmas horse and I have been working on getting there full-tilt my whole life. All the catchriding on everyone else's horses over the years has definitely kept me on my game for riding.

And to contribute a good Christmas story: My mother (also a horselover) as a kid woke up one Christmas morning to fresh snow and a horse in her backyard. She thought right away this was her new horse - a Christmas gift from her parents. She was out in the yard trying to catch it when the neighbor from the farm down the road came looking for his loose horse :eek:

nuts4cowboybutts
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:17 PM
When I was about 10, I got a colt for Christmas that was a real surprise.

We already had a few horses in the family, but we had never raised a foal.

On this Christmas morning, I went to church with my parents. On the way back from church, we stopped at the barn where we kept a couple of the horses. My Papa went in the barn. A little later he came out and told me to come in the barn and that he had something to show me. I was all dressed in my best clothes and I protested that I'd get my good clothes dirty. He and mother both said it was okay if I got a bit of dust on me.

It was a bright Christmas morning, and going into the dark barn, it took a while for my eyes to focus. Believe me, I was surprised when I saw a colt with a big red ribbon and bow tied around his neck. There was also a little china bell tied to the bow which had a Christmas message. I couldn't believe my eyes!

The little sorrel colt was from the King Ranch. This was in the early days of the AQHA and this colt was really a big deal. Back in those days, the AQHA sent out an official to evaluate a horse before it could be registered. That was a long time ago.

The colt and I grew up together. As a gelding, he became a wonderful Western Pleasure horse - yes, a peanut roller. He was sired by Hired Hand II. In those days, the horses were bred to have smooth, slow gaits and a low head carriage. None of that was any bit artificial. They came by their easy movements naturally. You could ride all day long on that slow trot and never bounce once. Never had any real contact with the bit - all was done by neck reining or body cues. Had so much fun.

I'll never forget that Christmas if I live to be 100 (and now 100 doesn't seem that far off as it used to be).

Czar
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:47 PM
These are so fun!

My parents got me a pony for Christmas when I was about 6. My mom ran a boarding stable and I would tag along with when she would do chores and sing "Yankee Doodle".

Christmas Day we were all done presents when my mom looked under the couch and announced there was one present that was missed.

She pulled out a cowboy hat with a feather in it that she had cut ear holes out of and told me that it was for "Macaroni" (you have to know the song to get the meaning here).

I must have known immediately what she meant b/c I demanded to go down to the barn and sure enough, there was a very small white pony waiting for me :)

He turned out to be a child-hater and bit me every time I looked at him but he was still mine! :lol:

carrie_girl
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:10 PM
I got my girls a pony on Christmas Eve a few years ago. There isn't a better Nanny pony on earth.

Here are some pictures of him with my older daughter on the day we bought him, almost 3 years ago and some other assorted pics through the years.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556586868uRWOjK

And here he is with my litle one winning the leadline at Upperville in 2008.

http://www.teresaramsay.com/details.php?gid=1247&sgid=&pid=59037

I think I am in love with your pony!!!! As the mom of a two year old who seems to love horses already, I can't wait until I can surprise her with a pony someday! Luckily I think I have a few Christmases to work on her non-horsey daddy before that happens. Until then she will have to continue enjoying pony rides on my 16.3 "pony".

hopefarmnj
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:58 PM
My lovely BO is buying me a jumper prospect for christmas this year. Now only we could find the right one! : D

nelson
Dec. 4, 2009, 03:03 PM
I got my first pony as a Christmas present on 1980, when I was 10 years old (wow, I am old!). She was a bay Connemara large pony named Mrs. Murphy - she was awesome, and I loved her to death. I had been riding her in lessons for a while, and my parents decided to buy her for me. I am sure the decision was influenced, in no small part, by my years of incessant begging.

Anyway, I received a beautifully wrapped box on Christmas morning that contained a framed photograph of her. It was such a surprise - I can still remember how excited and happy I was! What a great memory!

Thanks for posting this thread so I could relive that moment! I hope alot of kids have that same kind of feeling on Christmas this year.

BelladonnaLily
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:05 AM
My sister and I got ponies for Christmas when I was 6 and she was 9. They were really for her, as she was taking lessons and I didn't know much. It was a mare and her 2yo halfbroke filly (yeah I know, great Dad...). They had lived in the town of Charlottesville and were VERY traffic safe :lol: Dad brought them home in the back of his '71 Dodge pickup with sides on. :eek: They were $350 for both, including western tack for both, halters, etc.

They lived in a field behind a kind neighbor of my grandmothers. Within a year, my sister had lost interest and it became apparent that I was the horsey one. I spent every bit of free time at my grandmothers riding. Unfortunately, the filly could only be ridden by my crazy teenage cousin, so she wound up being sold within a year or 2, but I had "Patsy" until my dad put her down when I was 19 and she was somewhere over 20 but under 40. I have fond memories of riding for hours on her, and especially remember how she could spot just the right height branch from 100 yards and manage to rub me off on it if I wasn't paying attention, usually at breakneck speed. Or how she'd dump me in an alfalfa field across the road, gallop across a busy highway and put her head in the grain barrel until I limped home to get her.

On the other hand, I taught Patsy to jump (my jumps were 2X4s on cinder blocks) and eventually was able to take her to a few county fair shows. Once I got a horse, she taught a younger neighbor to ride.

I still have a picture of her and I on my fridge standing in my grandmothers yard...she had been grazing and you can see the chain hook to her halter...we used a dog chain to tie her out to a couple of cinder blocks so she could graze the grass in my grandmother's front yard. She NEVER got tangled or in trouble with this awful setup :eek:. Amazing pony...I miss her!

gottagrey
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:05 AM
I did. It was back in 1967. I would always wake up before dawn on Christmas morning, sneak downstairs to see what Santa had brought us. Low and behold that Christmas morning there was a saddled under the tree? Huh? Rubbed my eyes - thinking it couldn't be a saddle must be a weird doll house. back to bed. Finally my sister woke up and we went out - she read the tag - Waco is yours Merrry Christmas. HUH? Waco - only the coolest most magnificent horse in the world - was OURS! My sister and didn't know it at the time, but the following Spring my father was shipped off to Viet Nam... Waco, that magnificent QH took care us. He was much more than a horse for Christmas

OneGrayPony
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:18 AM
I had been a horse crazy kid from the beginning, and got my first horse at 12. She was a wonderful beginner mare, but she was limited as far as furthering my riding skills. So, when I was 15, we had decided to look at horses. I tried so many of them, and was feeling rather discouraged as my trainer didn't feel that any of them were "right" for me.

On Christmas morning, I didn't feel like doing my barn chores, so my Dad offered to go down to the barn for me. A few minutes later, he called up on the intercom "Hey OneGrayPony, you need to come down here, something is wrong with your horse". And sure enough, when I looked out the window, my mare looked terrible, swishing her tail and whinnying. So I rushed down to the barn, in my pjs and muck boots, threw open the barn door to get her halter and saw in the first stall on the right...

My Christmas Horse, a big bay quarterhorse gelding, one of the many that I had tried, with a big red bow on the door, and a nice fluffy bed of shavings in his stall. I still get teary thinking of it. My Dad was so proud of himself, not being a horseperson, that he had made such a nice stall for the horse.

When I was 18, I had to sell him due to some circumstances in my life, and the new owner never transferred his ownership. I never saw him again (though I still am looking, just in case), and I'm sure he's long gone by now.

He was the best horse I've ever owned, and I have spent my entire riding life since trying to find one just like him. He literally saved me through my teenage years, and I am forever grateful to have had my Christmas horse.

sparky6
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm still waiting and this will be my 24th Christmas. Santa just hasn't found the one for me, I guess. But if no Christmas horse comes into my life then I can always hope that someday I have a horse-crazy child so that I can be the giver of the Christmas horse because I think that would be just as fun.

Sunset Ponies
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:54 PM
I got my first pony for Christmas when I was 9. Daisy Mae had been my lesson pony for two years. My parents put a really big box under the christmas tree about a week before christmas. I wanted to know what was inside sooooo bad. They made me open all of my other presents first on Christmas morning, because they knew once I opened that one nothing else would matter. When I opened the box there was a little framed picture inside of me and Daisy. I didn't really understand until my dad said "She's Yours". We went out to the barn and she was in her stall with a big red bow on her head and a sign on her still that said "I Love You Mary, Daisy Mae".

The lesson barn that I rode for was owned by my great aunt and uncle and apparently my parents had been trying to buy Daisy for over a year and they wouldn't sell her because she was such a great lesson pony. Then one day my uncle walked into the barn and I had my arms wrapped around Daisy's neck, gave her a kiss and said "I love you, Daisy Mae". I never even saw my uncle, he walked out of the barn and went and told my aunt that they had to sell me the pony.

That pony packed me around for years and when I finally gave in and admitted I had outgrown her I free leased her out to a line of little kids that also learned how to ride on her. Her last charge was a 5 year old little boy who learned to hilltop on her.

I can't believe it has now been 10 years since I had to have her put down. I have so many stories of that pony and so much of my childhood is attached to memories of her.

Thanks for bringing this topic up!

judybigredpony
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:58 PM
When my husband bought our farm he was deployed in Iraq we did the whole thing cyber wise.

When he came home around Thanksgiving and got actually walk on our new place he commented all the horses were mine and he would love to have either a Scillian Donkey or a Clydesdale, not a draft horse something but a Big Bay Budweiser Clydesdale. He kept this up for 3 years.

Well after month of searching someone on this board mentioned a Draft Rescue where they had a bay w/ 4 whites a big ole white face mostly Clydesdale for adoption.
I showed him to our adult kids who agreed, I rang the rescue filled out the paper work and made a visit.
So between Christmas and New Years I asked my DH to take me for a long lunch drive.
And causully steered him down the road to rescue w/ tales of a great lunch.
Lucas has the paddock right behind our house and every evening when DH comes home he stands to chat and share an apple w/ his big buddy, and in the morning Lucas stands in corner where can see right into the breakfast area and DH opens the window to chat w/ him. While mowing the horse follows the tractor up and down the mowed rows keeping up w/ his friend.:)