PDA

View Full Version : Supplement Help

barndad
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:12 PM
We have a couple of ponies we would like to do daily supplements with and wanted to see some of the favorites out there. We have a bay pony whose coat has gotten dull and also seems to struggle with scratches. We have a gray who is a bit nervous and needs something to keep him calm. We would also like to keep his dapples nice and dark too. Also, if there is a daily wormer that eliminates the need for monthly oral doses that would be great. Last but not least, is there something to replace rice bran with? We were going to try and do these with a Smart Pak...Thanks

hellerkm
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:32 PM
We have a couple of ponies we would like to do daily supplements with and wanted to see some of the favorites out there. We have a bay pony whose coat has gotten dull and also seems to struggle with scratches. We have a gray who is a bit nervous and needs something to keep him calm. We would also like to keep his dapples nice and dark too. Also, if there is a daily wormer that eliminates the need for monthly oral doses that would be great. Last but not least, is there something to replace rice bran with? We were going to try and do these with a Smart Pak...Thanks

CAll SmartPak, they can walk you through the whole process, they give you suggestions ( make sure to ask if they come in pellets or powder whichever you prefer to feed) and then decide on the best program for each pony. I have two ponies on Smartpaks and they have been working out GREAT!!
I also just read in another thread that the supplements used to keep dark horses Dark are testing as illegal substances if the pony is drug tested so you might want to keep that in mind if you will be showing them.

Eeq
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:54 PM
SmartPak would be perfect for your situation :) They have everything you will need.

barndad
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for your help!

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:08 PM
I suggest you re-evaluate your nutrition plan for your horses as well. The symptoms you are trying to solve are evidence they are not getting their basic nutritional needs met. You should find it more cost effective to switch feeds or hay rather than throw supplements at it.

this is coming from an ex supplementer who was making baggies with up to 9 different supplements! i now feed... um.. electrolytes when he sweats and he looks BETTER

barndad
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:18 PM
We are feeding a Safe Perform pellet by Seminole and adding rice bran to it...using high quality Canadian Timothy hay so I thought we were probably doing a pretty good job with feed/hay. What specific symptoms make you think the feed is off?

Void
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:23 PM

You could call SmartPak, see their recommendations and then compare the ingredients of their recommendations against the other supplements they offer. Thats what I did!

Bogie
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:31 PM
I second the recommendation to contact a nutritionist. I'd do that before calling a company that sells supplements :D even though I love shopping at SmartPak.

Seriously, when I first called in a nutritionist he saved me money by helping to eliminate supplements that were unnecessary (or maybe harmful because they might have been in more than one that I was feeding) and helping me build a nutrition plan based on what I fed. It was an eye opener for me.

For example, I now feed flax seed because it helps with coat/hoof/joints (omega 3s), which I buy in bulk from my feed store. I feed a ration balancer to make sure that my horse's nutritional needs are met and I add alfalfa pellets because my horse is prone to ulcers and because he needs a tad more protein in his diet.

My boy needed to be calmer too. I tried all the different feed supplements and they made little to no difference. Instead, I eliminated as much starch from his diet as possible (no grain, just the ration balancer) and added oil (helps keep weight on him and has a calming effect). The dietary change made a huge difference in his "rideability".

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:33 AM
scratches and dull coat are both symptoms that nutrients aren't being given or absorbed. In your case, since I too feed seminole, I'm going to vote that this is an absorption issue.
You may also find that it's cheaper to feed Seminole Show and Sport instead of adding the bran. S&S already has it included... saves you a feed bin, and ultra bloom isnt cheap!
When was the last time you did a strong solid 3 weeks of probiotics? How is there water intake? Have you done a fecal?

Valentina_32926
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:59 AM
I use Mare Plus for a GREAT overall vitamin, hops herbs for the nervous/ADD horse and give a tea tree (Excalibar sheath cleaner) bath for scratches.

Burgie
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:46 PM
Flax seed is also known to calm nervous horses.
Made a heck of a difference in my mare.

lizajane09
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:53 PM
Also, if there is a daily wormer that eliminates the need for monthly oral doses that would be great.

This you won't find. Well, you don't need to be doing monthly deworming with paste (whether or not your ponies are on daily dewormer) - it's too often. However, there is no daily dewormer that does not require supplementation with regular paste deworming, and parasite resistance to daily dewormers (i.e. pyrantel pamoate) is rapidly increasing. To keep your guys as parasite free as possible, consider doing a fecal count, then talking to your vet and working out a worming plan that takes into account each horse's parasite load and the part of the country that you are in.

JA
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:16 PM
Call Platinum Performance! They have a wide range of supplements which would cover most of your needs except for the daily dewormer. They can put each horses' supplements into
Platinum Paks which are their version of SmartPaks!

EquineRacers
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:45 PM
For a dull coat, Biotin works best. For calming, I like Calm and Cool pellets

barndad
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:04 PM
There have been lots of great ideas thrown our way ...now to distill them and get to work. Thanks for the help!