View Full Version : Question...

Nov. 29, 2009, 04:50 PM
so you know how on the stirrup bar of a saddle there is that safety latch? What does everyone here think about saddles that don't have that? I am talking about the saddle that have a curved bar without the latch.

What are the pros and cons to this and please vote on the poll whether or not you would buy a saddle that doesn't have the latch...

Nov. 29, 2009, 05:10 PM
How curved are you talking? Would it prevent the leather from sliding off the way the safety bar does when in the upward position? If that's the case, no, I would not buy the saddle as that is dangerous.

If you're talking about a slight curve but a bar that is generally the same as when the bar is open, so that the leather could slide off, (Wintecs have this type of bar, or at least my older Wintec does) then, I'd consider the saddle.

Incidentally, if the bar does have the flip up end, it should be used in the open position, allowing a leather to come off in an emergency.

Nov. 29, 2009, 05:10 PM
Does the curved bar still allow the leather to slide free, or is it completely self contained?

I always ride with the latch down anyway because they tend to get stiff as they get old, so I wouldn't trust it up... so if it's a curve that the leather can still slide off in the event of a fall, that would be fine with me.

Of course, I'm paranoid about getting caught in the stirrup after a fall, and even ride in peacock safety stirrups because of it. (:

Nov. 29, 2009, 06:38 PM
My saddle doesn't have a latch. Actually, I don't think any of the saddles I've had did. Never seemed to be an issue for me.

Nov. 29, 2009, 06:57 PM
I think it all depends on where you're riding. Not sure I'd be as happy with the "safety latch" if I were regularly riding cross-country or places where losing a stirrup (leather) might be a real pain...

OTOH, the whole point to those was so that if you came off with your foot still in the stirrup, you wouldn't get dragged (as far). I don't myself recall ever having ridden with one of those engaged (locked up).

My current saddle doesn't have this option, and that wasn't a show-stopper for me.

Nov. 29, 2009, 07:14 PM
The latches are dangerous. Even if your saddle has one you shouldn't be using it with it engaged.

Hunter Mom
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:20 PM
I was always told that having the latch up was dangerous - you want your stirrup to come off if you fall and need it to break free.

That said...

My current saddle has a hook style bar w/o the latch. Yes, it will come off when you need it too. It will also break a habit of flipping your leg way too far back over a fence, because the stirrup will come off then, too. Unfortunately, this can happen in muddy conditions :yes:. I don't honestly see any functional difference between the two.

Dec. 2, 2009, 02:51 PM
the safety latch should ALWAYS be down.
In the case that you are dragged, your stirrup leather will slide out provided enough force is used to pull it.
The risk of your stirrup leather spontaneously leaping off of your saddle is very slight. Think about trying to get your leather on the saddle in the first place. It's not all that easy sometimes. They don't usually just slide out either.
So it shouldn't matter whether it has a latch or not because the latch should never be up.

my source is years of pony club and the pony club manuel knows all.

Dec. 2, 2009, 02:57 PM
Another vote for stirrup latch always down...between the risk of losing a stirrup and the risk of being dragged because the stirrup can't slide off... much rather the loss of the stirrup. As far as the curve, as long as it is a gradual curve and the leather is still pulled off easily I would be fine with that too.

Dec. 2, 2009, 02:59 PM
Latch should always be down so it should really matter if the stirrup bar is designed with a latch or not.

The risk of your stirrup leather spontaneously leaping off of your saddle is very slight. Think about trying to get your leather on the saddle in the first place. It's not all that easy sometimes. They don't usually just slide out either.

I've always wondered if the leather would actually come off if need be because it's so dang difficult to get the leathers on. I can't imagine that dragging my weight in a downward and rearward fashion would be enough force to make it come off...and I'm not an unheavy person.

Dec. 2, 2009, 05:03 PM
When my newer saddle showed up without a latch, I assumed it was because the manufacturer finally figured out that no-one rides in a close-contact saddle with the latch up ;)

Dec. 2, 2009, 05:13 PM
All my saddles have latches but I never put them up.

You should never be riding so your stirrup is likely to come off and if you do have a fall and your foot is stuck in the stirrup the last thing you want is for the stirrup to stay attached.

I'd rather it come off any day of the week!

Dec. 3, 2009, 06:55 AM
If it has a latch, it should be down. Personally, I've never understood why they made saddles with stirrup latches since they should never be 'up' when in use.

IME, it's the cheaper saddles that have stirrup latches, more expensive and higher quality brands tend to employ a straight or curved bar so that the leather can slide off in case of emergency. As a personal example, my old Dover Circuit saddle has a latch; my newer Devoucoux and Passier saddles do not.