PDA

View Full Version : What to use instead of Black as Knight?

3 is the limit
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:18 PM
I have my TB dark bay gelding on Black as Knight and he looks great. Dark and Shiny. Love the way the product works.

However, there is a problem. I was told that I can't use it when showing my horse due to the active ingredient causing a positive during drug tests.

Any suggestions of what to use instead?

SaturdayNightLive
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately, every darkening supplement that I have come across will test as illegal. I used Blackenall on my hunter, but had to stop using it two weeks before every show.

PNWjumper
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:27 PM
Just pull him off of it 10 days before each show (and then during, of course). Unless you're heavily campaigning it shouldn't make much of a difference to have him on it part time.

I did have Horsetech make me a paprika-free DAK substitute (Blackenall is their version) one summer, but it definitely didn't do as good of a job as the normal Blackenall. The paprika seemed to be the only really important ingredient for my dark (almost black) grey mare.

neigh.neigh
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:06 PM
I use Black as Knight Show Horse Formula. If you go to their website you can order it directly from them. It probably doesn't work as well as the regular one but it made a difference with my horse and when I am showing every weekend it doesn't make sense to get the regular formula

from their websitehttp://www.chevalinternational.com/page2.html

ATTENTION ALL SHOW HORSE OWNERS. DRUG TESTING IS GETTING STRICTER BY THE MINUTE, SO BE SURE YOU CHECK ALL INGREDIENTS WITH YOUR GOVERNING AGENCY TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN FULL COMPLIANCE WHEN YOU SHOW. USEF NOW INDICATES CELERY SEED (NOT IN ANY OF OUR FORMULAS) AND PAPRIKA ARE "FORBIDDEN" SO WE OFFER A SHOW HORSE FORMULA OF ALL OUT COAT ENHANCERS WITHOUT PAPRIKA OR CELERY SEED - AT THE SAME GREAT PRICE. JUST INDICATE SHOW HORSE FORMULA WHEN ORDERING.

Sabovee
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:10 PM
BOSS, flax seed and a UV fly sheet keep my blacks black during the summer, even with 24/7 turnout. Keeping them inside during peek UV times helps a lot too!

birdsong
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:25 PM
BOSS, flax seed and a UV fly sheet keep my blacks black during the summer, even with 24/7 turnout. Keeping them inside during peek UV times helps a lot too!

Just EXACTLY what I was thinking!!!

Flax, Boss and a Kensington...and all totally legal:winkgrin:

spmoonie
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:32 PM
How much Flax do you feed each day? Is it the oil or the actual seed?

hellerkm
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:36 PM
How much Flax do you feed each day? Is it the oil or the actual seed?

and can I ask what is Boss???:eek: the UV sheet part I understood LOL!
We now have a nice dark seal bay and I want her to stay that way but I had NO idea the supplements available thru Smartpak could cause them to test positive for an illegal substance , thanks for the info!

Trixie
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:43 PM
BOSS are Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - available at nearly all feed stores.

hellerkm
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:47 PM
BOSS are Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - available at nearly all feed stores.
Thank YOU!!!

Invite
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:49 PM
My near black mare stayed dark year round with Triple Crown Complete and Glanzen. I used fly spray with sunscreen, but no fly sheet. She did lighten up a little in the summer, but it wasn't sunbleaching. She just got covered in dapples and looked even more striking.

Savoy 8
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:40 PM
Paprika will enhance their coat... I feed it to my bay filly, 2 black geldings and my dappled grey (yes it darkens their dapples)... One of the geldings says outside and he doesn't get sun bleached..

Just feed a table spoon once a day and it will darken them right up! I haven't had any issues with them eating it either... Give it a try it is a lot cheaper and IT WORKS...

2 horses I know of that use Paprika

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/Phantasia_Frank/black.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/Phantasia_Frank/black2.jpg

HenryisBlaisin'
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:48 PM
Paprika is the ingredient that causes the positive drug test in the first place-so if you show, it's not an option.

Atypical
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:06 PM
My question.... Why in hell is Paprika illegal????

Seriously, does it have some performance enhancing properties I've missed out on?

Void
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:21 PM
Paprika tests positive as Capsaicin

3 is the limit
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:09 PM
Capsaicin is a natural anti-inflaminatory agent. I've heard of people with arthurits rubbing cut open spicy hot chili peppers on their joints to ease the pain.

sorry about the spelling...

flyracing
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:00 AM
My dark bay has a gorgeous dappled coat during the summer even in texas sun and heat. My system: Night time turnout with a rambo dustbuster (mostly for the bugs, but it keeps his coat shined up like I curry him for 3 hours every day). Stalled from 7am to 9pm and flyspray with sunscreen is used before each ride. Then, and most importantly, I use quikblack shampoo before a show and his coat become darker than is natural and it is stunning! For shine make sure your horse is getting enough vit A and E and may need to think about vit D when keeping them out of the sun. Also, this may sound cruel, but I don't give my horse massive amounts of electrolytes. Sweating out excess salt damages the coat, drying it out and I've seen it bleach out horses that never see sunlight! Instead I worked with my vet to find a optimal electrolyte level using blood tests. Turns out that's healthier for them all the way around. After about a year I could really tell pretty well how much electrolytes my horse needed by the saltiness of the sweat, drink and pee volumes, and by the pinch skin hydration test.

I haven't gone somewhere in a couple of years where someone has not commented on my horse's coat!:D

LaraNSpeedy
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:14 AM
When showing, if you can protect the coat with keeping out of the sun as much as possible - put on a sun screen spray - there used to be one I used... the container was orange but I cant remember its name....

But an alternative natural supplement I gave rehab horses with sad coats - it will not make the coat darker but it helps coats look deep and rich - ground flax seed in their diet. Every time I got a horse with sun bleaching, I would add that and their coat would come back - soft and true to color.

monalisa
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:05 AM
Paprika will act a a good and inexpensive coat enhancer for any color horse. But yes, it does test. But I would use the spice on its own, much much cheaper.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:42 AM
Monalisa...how much paprika would you use by itself?

Perchancetodream
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:52 AM
My black boy wouldn't eat any BaK, or any other supplement. he was super finicky....and brown :(

Any suggestions or experience with picky eaters?

feetofclay1678
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:16 PM
I use Black as Knight Show Horse Formula. If you go to their website you can order it directly from them. It probably doesn't work as well as the regular one but it made a difference with my horse and when I am showing every weekend it doesn't make sense to get the regular formula

from their websitehttp://www.chevalinternational.com/page2.html

Just what I was going to say.... that they do have a show horse formula. use the normal formula up to 10 days before show, and then put horse on the show formula, and as soon as show is over, back on regular formula.