PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Pony Sizes?

abrownhorse
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:26 PM
I would love to hear some thoughts on rider age vs pony size. Granted, children grow at different rates...but in general, at what age does a child "outgrow" a small pony? What about a medium pony?

There aren't any age limits on each division, right? (other than NOT an adult, right)

Thanks!

Ben and Me
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:46 PM
12 for regular smalls, 14 for regular mediums. No age limit (other than a junior) for larges or greens.

HU6 © USEF 2010
HU110 Pony Hunter.
1. No junior over 12 years of age may ride in a Regular Small Pony Hunter Section.
2. No junior over 14 years of age may ride in a Regular Medium Pony Hunter Section.
(Exception: Green Pony Hunters)
3. Riders under 18 years of age may ride for other exhibitors who have more than one
entry in the Under Saddle class and/or exhibit the pony in the model class.
4. Ponies must be handled by junior exhibitors in all phases of a class, except in breeding
classes in-hand.
5. Ponies shown in any rated Pony Hunter, Green Pony Hunter, Children’s Hunter Pony,
or Pony Jumper sections may not be shown by an exhibitor 18 years of age or older at the
same competition, except in breeding classes in-hand.
6. No animal may be shown in a performance class in this division unless the owner pos-
sesses a current measurement card or valid measurement form issued by the Federation
(see Rules GR502 and HU170).
a. Small ponies are not to exceed 12.2 hands;
b. Medium ponies are over 12.2 and do not exceed 13.2 hands;
c. Large ponies are over 13.2 and do not exceed 14.2 hands.
7. Regular classes are open to all ponies not exceeding 14.2 hands. Qualifications must
follow as nearly as possible those outlined for Hunters.
8. No rider may show more than three ponies in any one height section.
9. Junior riders showing ponies cannot compete in any class where fences may be set
higher than 3’6” at the same competition (Exception Children’s Jumpers, Green Pony
Hunters and Pony Jumpers)
10. Ponies shown by adults at a Licensed Competition cannot compete in any rated Pony
Hunter sections at the same competition with a junior rider.

hellerkm
Nov. 29, 2009, 03:09 PM
We currently have two small ponies, my DD is 6 and tiny. One small has a perm card at 12.2 she is BIG, built like a tank takes up a ton of leg and Dd might get to ride her until she is 9 or 10 depending on how fast she grows.
The other small is an 11.3 narrow more refined pony Dd will probably fit her for the next 2 years but after that she will need to be passed onto her little sister.
I really dislike seeing kids on ponies that have outgrown their pony, it bugs me. I do understand that this happens and that the kids continue to show them until they can sell them or find another pony. I like it when kids fit what they ride and the ponies still do their jobs, I have no issues with bigger kids showing green ponies to put miles on them, that is how them become made ponies and then go on to kids that fit them!:cool:

goeslikestink
Nov. 29, 2009, 03:24 PM
my grandson rides my daughter 1st pony of which is 26 shes 11.2hh sec A
hes 4yrs old - i expect eh will be on her til about 8, but he will also have the opportunity to ride a 12.3h show pony a welsh sec b
and also a welsh sec c shes 13.2h - as he progesses with growth age and expeince

indygirl2560
Nov. 29, 2009, 04:17 PM
12 for regular smalls, 14 for regular mediums. No age limit (other than a junior) for larges or greens.
yep
I'm 17 and 5'6 and I still show larges(occasionally school mediums). Most of the ponies I show are green beans so I don't worry about perfect suitability. I had the chance to talk to one of the judges at the show I took some ponies to, and she said that because I carried myself well and let the pony do it's job the best it could, she didn't mark me down for being slightly too tall(I'm thin but I have pretty long legs in proportion to the rest of my body). Obviously I wouldn't show A circuit eq on a pony.

It really depends on a child's height and build. My old trainer's daughter was 11 and too tall for her medium pony. And a little girl at my barn is 11 and still fits well on a small.

abrownhorse
Nov. 29, 2009, 04:48 PM
Interesting! For some reason I had it in my mind that my daughter would need to move up from a small by the time she was 7 or 8.

I am looking at 2 ponies right now. One is full grown 12.2 (or slightly less) thicker, stockier build. The other is 13.1h and only 2 years old.. more horse-like with a slender build. Not sure how big he will get.

Yes I know a 2 year old is too young, but she is only a leadliner right now and this pony is very, very quiet. I am small enough that I can get some mileage on him for her while she grows.

I'm not sure if I should go with the large Small, or the Medium that will likely be a Large.

Any experience with pony growth rate? i.e. Any guesses how bit the 2 year old might get?

Ben and Me
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:42 PM
the Medium that will likely be a Large.

If he does end up a large, he'll likely end up in no-man's land and might be a tough re-sale.

You may want to ask over in the breeder's forum re: pony growth rates. Overall, it's a crap shoot, but there are some guesstimates (string test, I think) that might give you an idea.

Kid growth rates are equally variable ;) My pony was sold when I was 12 because I was already 5'5...and was supposed to be pretty tall. Instead, I stopped growing. Wish I'd had a few more years on ponies...

hellerkm
Nov. 29, 2009, 06:43 PM
Interesting! For some reason I had it in my mind that my daughter would need to move up from a small by the time she was 7 or 8.

I am looking at 2 ponies right now. One is full grown 12.2 (or slightly less) thicker, stockier build. The other is 13.1h and only 2 years old.. more horse-like with a slender build. Not sure how big he will get.

Yes I know a 2 year old is too young, but she is only a leadliner right now and this pony is very, very quiet. I am small enough that I can get some mileage on him for her while she grows.

I'm not sure if I should go with the large Small, or the Medium that will likely be a Large.

Any experience with pony growth rate? i.e. Any guesses how bit the 2 year old might get?

I can tell you this, having a pony that your child FITS is HUGE, if the pony is TOO big for the kid they are can't ride properly, they are overfaced and can't control an animal that they can't get their legs around. Our 12.2 hand pony is a SAINT and DD loves her she rides her well and they get along BUT we brought home the smaller pony this week and there is a HUGE difference, she feels IN CONTROL of this pony and the pony is younger and not as "made" as the bigger pony. Smaller pony is much more likely to try to pull some tricks but DD is much more comfortable fighting back, she is not as far from the ground and she is better balanced with more leg on the side of the PONY and not on the side of her saddle. DD will grow into the bigger pony and she loves her and rides her everyday she will probably be able to show her this summer , but she will EXCEL on the smaller pony, its just a size ratio issue!
Buying bigger to grow into just does not work for little kids , get your Dd something she will FIT even if you only lease something as she gets older, our 11.2 hand small is a free lease for a year or 2 she is going to be an awesome confidence builder and hopefully all it will cost is the price of shoes and vet for a few years.

poltroon
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:05 AM

You really want a pony that has mileage with another child, that's proven it can take a kid-sized joke. A 6 year old pony will still be too young for a first pony. It may be quiet now, but it takes a lot of mileage to put up with a small child's inevitable mistakes and inadvertent cruelty (wiggly hands, floppy body, inadvertent kicks, etc).

My daughter is 9 and just perfect on an 11.1 pony right now.

hellerkm
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:17 AM
You really want a pony that has mileage with another child, that's proven it can take a kid-sized joke. A 6 year old pony will still be too young for a first pony. It may be quiet now, but it takes a lot of mileage to put up with a small child's inevitable mistakes and inadvertent cruelty (wiggly hands, floppy body, inadvertent kicks, etc).

My daughter is 9 and just perfect on an 11.1 pony right now.

when we were looking for our first small pony some one said to me that the child's age and the ponies age should add up to 20 yrs old, this is a an awesome formula to keep in mind!! Our first small is 16 and is a been there done that type of pony who has taught Dd so much this summer. the second small who is 6 has a TON of show miles and worked in a lesson program so is very safe and sane but again DD is a much better rider NOW so can handle a pony without as many miles, however I am a HUGE believer in the formula stated above and it kept us out of trouble when looking for a FIRST pony for Dd!

LaraNSpeedy
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:11 AM
If showing is important, stick to the regulations. I know as a kid I was very small and even though I am not sure the same rules applied then, I competed on a section A when I was in 7th grade - I was so little as I said I looked good on him. But I did FEEL WEIRD because 1. everyone else I was competing against were 2-5 years younger at least and 2. I won most of the time and because I was stronger and more experienced.

To be honest, I moved straight up to a large and I fit him BETTER because he was more NARROW. I was much happier - I was competing against kids my own age and I fit my horse.....

watcher
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:24 PM
Wow! I'm finding it fascinating how long some of the kids can stay on their smalls...My DD is 6 and just fits her 11.3 small - she's in the taller third of her class at school, but not by more than an inch. The pony is not what I'd call narrow ...but she won't fit her next year.

I second the comment that they feel safer on something their size though. She went from being a timid rider to being almost TOO brave just because she thinks she's big enough to be "tough" with this pony. So I don't mind the fact that I'll be replacing her after just a year - something to consider when you're looking to buy.

llsc
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:43 PM
I really depends on how tall your child is and how long legged they are.

Here are pictures of my two smalls undersaddle.

The first is my 12.1 5/8" green small with a 14 year old, 5 foot tall rider.

http://www.gallopprints.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=260324

The second is my 12.1 small with my 8 year old, 4' 2" daughter on him. She's all legs.

http://www.gallopprints.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=260362

I will probably only get another year out of my smalls, but I'm hoping for two, and then we'll have to start looking for a medium.

As for buying a young green pony for your child, I did it and wound up using him only for the leadline years and then sold him when they were ready to really ride. They started riding off lead on an 18 year old medium who is fabulous and broke to death. I'd second, third and fouth, the fact that a green pony isn't the way to go for a little kid. You want something much older and very, very kind.