PDA

View Full Version : Homely rescue pony needs new name

jen-s
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:50 AM
Last Tues night, we had a pony arrive from NYHR and frankly, her name just doesn't work. She's ~14h, branded, formerly of somewhere in the Dakotas, black/white paint with a delicate body and the head of a holstein cow. Seriously. Here are pics: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/album.php?aid=41494&id=1069845939 (the album should be public but if you can't see it, just let me know and I can email you individual pictures). She came with the name "Classy," but frankly, that just doesn't suit her. She reminds me of someone who's a bit homely but has a wonderful personality. Her name is still very much up in the air, but her owner is leaning towards "Bessie" since it's cow-ish. Frankly, when I suggested that, I was joking and never thought it might stick. BO is definitely still up for different options, so please help me out with ideas so that the poor sweetie has something a bit snazzier.

Here are some ideas we've bounced around so far:
Holstein Holly
Clara
Annabelle
Ghost (or some iteration thereof)
Jo

COTHers to the rescue for this sweet rescue--TIA!

xitmom
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
I vote for Holly Cow. She looks sweet and is lucky to have someone take her in.

eventerchick517
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:02 AM
I kind of like Bessie.........lol She'll grow into the head. My guy had a similar problem, except he has a roman nose to go with the large size! When she muscles up it'll look just fine. :)

Milk Moustache(because of the markings on her nose. Too cute!)

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:15 AM
I would call her Preppy, because it looks like she is wearing a black turtleneck.

I don't think she is at all homely.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:38 AM
I can't see the pix but do keep in mind, names ARE important and if she has a humiliating name, she'll know it. She deserves some dignity after what she's been through, give her a name to reflect that. Bess is a nice name but not if people are going to snicker and say "OMG, she really DOES look like a cow."

HelloAgain
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:09 PM
I love me a cow head. :) I think she might grow into it with more correct muscling. Anyhoo, I also don't think you should apply a cowish name. It *is* insulting in the minds of most people. And she's medicine hat so she should have a good-luck name.

I vote
-Black-Eyed Pea (they=good luck in the new year!)
-Ace of Spades
-Four Leaf Clover

Bobthehorse
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:38 PM
Oh she is not so homely! What a cute face. I would call her Spot. I love dog names for horses.

My friend has a black and white tobi simply named Cow. And she sure can be one when she feel like it too. Mooooooody mare.

lwk
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:40 PM
Wow - she has really neat markings. Looks like she is wearing goggles.
Her head will be fine once her neck and body fill out.

SevenDogs
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:53 PM
She kind of reminds me of a Native American horse (in war paint?). How about something like Cheyenne or something else related to Native American tribes in the Dakotas?

Voldemare
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:02 PM
"Stoney" is a dialect of Sioux language (Dakota). Saba Skan means "Black White" in that language, but it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. You could look up other words, though.

I agree, give the horse a dignified name. We had to rename a new horse because he had a pony-type name and it was just wrong for him.

Mach Two
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:15 PM
Give her a good name, giving a horse a bad, or mean spirited name is like dressing a little boy in knickers and sending him to school with a name like Fauntleroy.
I like Black Eyed Pea. Or Black Eyed Sweetpea.
or Black Eyed Susie.

That brand is a Rocking S...Rockin' Sweetpea, Rockin' Susie, the possibilities are endless!
She does look very much like one of the ancient strains of Indian ponies.
Here are some Northern Plains/Indian inspired names names:

North Dakota
Rosebud (for the Rosebud creek area of one of the Custer battles)
Sioux Nation
Lakota Nation
Medora ( a town in North Dakota that Teddy Roosevelt liked)

I think she is adorable, and if she is young (like under 4) her jawline will tidy up as her teeth come in. I'd ride her!

citydog
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:33 PM
I think she's lovely!

I'd go for Rockin' Siouxsie Sioux. She's got a similar aesthetic to the singer. :cool::)

TampaBayEquine
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:36 PM
Oh, she is darling!

How about "Rorschach" ....That patch over her right eye looks like Asia!

Maybe "Flight of Fancy"

Or "Caution Wet Paint"

"Pippy Longstocking"

I also like "Rosebud" and "Chocolate Milk Mustache" as someone noted above

So many good names, you 'll find a great one. Good on you for taking her in! Good Luck!

Wee Dee Trrr
Nov. 29, 2009, 04:41 PM
Camouflage, and call her "Cammy"

jen-s
Nov. 29, 2009, 04:52 PM
COTHers, you rock! I love the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.

We dealt with her mane this afternoon and it's amazing how much of a difference that made. Saddled her up too and went for a short ride in the paddock (she was perfect!) and then took a bareback meander down to the meadow so she could graze in the lush grass. She's got a ton of potential to be a lovely girl and was a surprisingly nice mover, even with those looonnnggg toes.

Luckydonkey
Nov. 29, 2009, 04:57 PM
She is CUTE! And she looks like a cow we had named Mabel!:D

Cruise Control
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:02 PM
Sweet Souix
Indian Summer

dyonder
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:20 PM
This is the owner weighing in. I am so excited about this little mare! I never thought she was homely, and I do know that she will grow into her head as my gelding, "Gus" did. He had a pencil neck and his head looked 3 sizes too large when we got him.

I did not think of Bessie as a cow name but more as a Border Collie name, as I've known and loved some dogs named Bessie. The cow name is spelled with a "y" I'd think.

But I do appreciate all of you who've weighed in for a "dignified" name. I won't all her Bessie if I can't disassociate it from the cow image.

Among my favorites mentioned are Sioux, Saba, Summer and, for the person who said she looks like she's wearing goggles..."Aviator."

Since my name is Susan, the rocking "S" brand is wonderful. Keep those names coming! She is a wonderful little horse and I am so thankful to have her. Look for us in the dressage ring and XC before too long (always in the division with the little fences). Thanks!

littletuna
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:31 PM
Really glad to hear she's doing well, definitely let me know with the details of the ride!

As for names...

India Ink? Bona Dea (greek goddess of women's protection and liberty)? Pandora or Pandora's Box(Panda for short, what with those black eyes!)? Gaia (mother earth, again greek)? or Pandia (goddess of brightness)?

OR to go with the cow theme... IO! (pronounced Eye-Oh). If you don't know the story..basically she was one of Zeus' many affairs, Hera wanted to destroy her so he turned her into a heifer so as to save her from the Goddess' wrath.

Sorry for all the greek, but i love mythology!

Mach Two
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:37 PM
Oh yes, the goggles!
female aviators of note:

Amelia Earhart (Air-Heart!)
Pancho Barnes
Sally Ride
Beryl Markham

She is cute as she can be, bet she's in heaven at her new home.

Toadie's mom
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:37 PM
I agree with most of the above. I think of Bessie as a "cow name". I don't think her head is ugly, just that the markings are SO defined that it draws your attention to head 1st off! I would go with something more feminine for her barn name. You can have mine-Bella (italian for beautiful) or sticking with something indian would be good. Of course all I can think of after a few glasses of wine tonight is Pocahontas. I like Mya, Aja , Pearl. I like 'em short and sweet for barn names, but if you're talking show names I always go for songs, or bands.

SevenDogs
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:01 PM
A couple of Lakota words:

Chante ("heart")

Ishta ("female/She")

Anapo ("Dawn")

kcrubin
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:10 PM
She reminds me of someone who's a bit homely but has a wonderful personality.

Remember Susan Boyle, the dowdy woman who blew them away on the English version of American Idol?

She has the S on her hip . .. .

VicariousRider
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:25 PM
She is so cute!

I knew a black and white paint mare pony named Dairy Queen. Her barn name was "Queenie." I think it is a great mix of humor and positive jujus. I agree that giving a horse a name with a really negative connotation seems to yield poor performance. They just seem to know. This one looks like a doll, though!

HealingHeart
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:40 PM
How about Cassey, close to Classy.

Painted Wings
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:44 PM
She reminds me of Phantom of the Opera.

You could call her Phantom.

ace**
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:00 PM
She reminds me of a black and white paint I rode in lessons as a kid -we called her "Panda"

What about calling her "Panda Bear"?

Her black eye spots are just like Pandas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Panda

eponacowgirl
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:27 PM
I think Panda/Pandora is unbelievably perfect...

OR... Masquerade! (Ala Phantom of the Opera!)

SuperSTB
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:50 PM
She is *FUNKY* I love her markings and I'm not a paint person. It's like her pattern is trying to tell you something...

I'd go with "Rorschach" too... barn name Rory

Maryalden
Nov. 30, 2009, 01:45 AM
If she's homely with a great personality, call her Maryalden. ;-)

jen-s
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:02 AM
Apparently I'm the only one who thinks she's homely. I won't deny her pony-cuteness, but I will say that her homeliness was mitigated a bit when I saw her trot yesterday! Go pony!

dyonder
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:19 AM
In the horse world, pretty-is as pretty-does. She got quite pretty yesterday by happily going through her paces under saddle and then being calm enough for a bareback ride up the driveway to the lush field. I haven't seen her lay her ears back yet, though today she calmly moved the other paint mare away from her feed.

Naming her is going to be tough! Thanks to all for all the great suggestions. I have a long list to mull over as I get to know this cutie better.

SuperSTB
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'm the last person you'd want to ask an opinion on homely-ness :P

I was in the paddock at the track- come across the ugliest gelding with a roman nose so pronounced a banana is straighter. I thought he was awesome!

RacetrackReject
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:07 PM
Ugly Betty? And no, I don't think she's ugly at all.

mswillie
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:21 PM
I liked "Black eyed Susan" but I think whoever came up with Masquerade just got it dead on. To me it's a perfect fit.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:25 PM
I vote for Holly Cow. She looks sweet and is lucky to have someone take her in.

AGREED :D

private-tender
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:29 PM
My vote goes in for Masquerade or Rorschach (barn name Rory) :)

shea'smom
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:14 PM
Another vote for Masquerade.

cllane1
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:01 PM
Another twist on the theme of Aviator/Amelia Earhart: Aviatrix. That's the feminine version of the noun "aviator."

Her pattern is so striking! I don't think she's homely at all!

RegentLion
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:12 PM
I like Aviator (or Aviatrix). Call her "Ava" for short.

I like that it isn't predictable, and is memorable. It has a nice meaning and is easy to pronounce. Would be a great show name.

MunchingonHay
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:19 PM
what about Dakota? you stated she was from the Dakotas. But I love Holly Cow, and here comes so and so riding HOLLY COW ! and HOLLY COW is double clean ! I like it.

stoicfish
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:38 PM
A vote for Panda. Too perfect!
http://www.animaltrial.com/animals/bearpicturesfolder/pandabearpictures/pandabearholdingtree.html

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=41494&id=1069845939#/photo.php?pid=849516&id=1069845939

eventingismylife
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:17 PM
How about Black-eyed Susan?

Precious Lendon
Dec. 3, 2009, 04:49 PM
but how about a play on words and call her Pandamonium?

Also, being silly and drawing from the news of the day...you could call her Tiger Woods because she has two black eyes!

jen-s
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:36 PM
Or "Pandamonium" and use "Mona" for her barn name--in honor of Mona who runs NYHR and sent her to us....

Good call Precious Lendon!

Precious Lendon
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:18 AM
I like it! Mona is a perfect nickname.

By the way, I think she is beautiful even if she does resemble a cow.

Koniucha
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:04 AM
Another vote for Holly Cow. That is such a cute name and you can call her Holly.

tullio
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:21 AM
I think she looks like a white pony someone poured ink on... Inkwell? Inkheart?

But looking just at her face, i love "Panda"... "Rorschach" fits but reminds me of the character in the Watchmen, and he was kinda creepy. But "Rory" is an adorable barn name.

I think she's super cute!

ace**
Dec. 16, 2009, 04:58 PM
Being nosy and curious what name you decided on for the pony....:)

dyonder
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:23 PM
Ah, not nosy from all the helpful people! You're part of the process.

I thought Jennifer, who started this thread, would have replied.

It was a tough decision and even now I am a bit ambivalent. I had to travel a lot right after we got the pony and so hadn't been able to spend time with her to really know what to call her.

And I am very superstitious about names, but decided that "Pandemonium" was too cute. In order to bypass its definition (Milton's name for Hell in Paradise Lost" or "wild uproar" when not capitalized), the name will be "Panda-monium." We seem to be calling her Panda, though Mona is another option (her former owner).

I still like the idea of a name that refers to her goggles, but seeing a picture of a Panda seemed to seal it.

She is super quiet, so not a wild uproar at all. Let's hope she doesn't become one!

Thanks to all!

jen-s
Dec. 16, 2009, 10:55 PM
I was waiting for dyonder to post. Because I have this insane need to give every four-legged creature I encounter a nickname, I have been calling Mona Mo-pony or Mopo or even Moped. I think I've used Panda once or twice, but she's in my heart very affectionately as Mo-pony. Dyonder's gonna kill me.....

littleYELLOWhorse
Dec. 17, 2009, 07:43 AM
I know thsi is kinda in the opposite way of everyone else but...

Call Me Ringo

In reference to her black eyes like a Raccoon, you know the rings on a raccoons tail, and call her Ringo at the barn

Or, how about Shiner, like she got in a fight hehe

dyonder
Dec. 17, 2009, 08:11 AM
Well, she sort of moves like a moped..really quiet.