PDA

View Full Version : Rushing Corners

Jack16
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:47 AM
My horse is charging through corners. Do I need more bit. He wears a crank noseband and a really soft bit (3 jointed snaffle). I tried a snaffle pellum to see if the chain would back him off at all to no avail. A gag did nothing..... He is 12 years old and has always been a sensitive horse.

Any suggestions?

Alterrain
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:12 PM
I think you should try halting before each corner, pet him, wait for a deep breath, then continue. If you need more bit to get the halt without using the rail to stop you, then so be it. The idea is you want him to land, and wait for you to tell him the next step, not just run through the commands.

meupatdoes
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:16 PM
I would also recommend really schooling him to yield to the inside leg.

Up the quarterline and out and out out out. Halt before the corner as the person above suggested, pet him, and carry on.

They can not blow through the corners if they are engaing the inside hind and bending around the inside leg rather than falling through it.

goeslikestink
Nov. 29, 2009, 03:14 PM
My horse is charging through corners. Do I need more bit. He wears a crank noseband and a really soft bit (3 jointed snaffle). I tried a snaffle pellum to see if the chain would back him off at all to no avail. A gag did nothing..... He is 12 years old and has always been a sensitive horse.

Any suggestions?

you need to have aplan -- ie learn to ride the horse and sit into him to slow him up
this is about balance

you need to work on your flat work,, then build up into ground poles then small grids then small courses
none however can be done if you dont know the baisc flat work and getting the horse balanced by using the half halt stride
if you using a trinaer and they can tell you how to perform or show you how then chnage the trianer
look at my helpful links pages and read all of page one be sure to read all links
its all relevent

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178116
asand while you at it read this thread to

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=223453

let give you a little tip- a horse that has a sensitive mouth doesnt need loads of gags or crank nose bands etc
what it needs is a rider that sits quietly with quiet hands and legs

sptraining
Nov. 29, 2009, 04:42 PM
Sometimes stopping a hotter horse will make him crazier. Try circling whenever he speeds up and give him a job to do in the corners. By job, I mean that he takes the outside rein contact and steps up under himself with the inside hind.

Have you schooled your changes hard in the corners or does he have a hard time with his changes? If so, trot the corners and teach him to come back to you. Always encourage him with your voice and make sure you breathe. Sensitive horses can tell when you're holding your breath and they wonder why you're worried and whether they should be worried too!

I start all of my jumping sessions with a smallish cross rail followed by a halt on a straight line. It's a great exercise to get the horses paying attention. You can do this around a course of fences as well. I'd definitely take a couple steps back and focus on the flat work and poles on the ground. If you take a couple months to get him listening, balanced and calm, then you'll be able to put the fences back up and he'll know to listen to you.

Slow and steady. Just take your time.

Jack16
Nov. 29, 2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks so much for the help. I knew he didn't need a different bit! My current trainer who is my new trainer doesn't think he needs a different bit either but the old trainer was so convinced he needed a pelham....needless to say that's why I am no longer with her. I just stopped trusting everything she had to say because I felt like she was wrong. Unfortunately I think what has happened is he is more worried, etc. after being trained with my old trainer for 6 months.

I had a bad injury that put me out for 3 months and so now I have some confidence and strength issues which are making things worse for him. He is a saint to put up with me. I'm going to keep working on the flat. I have a great trainer now but unfortunately due to indoors and schedules, we have only had 3 lessons so I thought I would request advice here too.

Thank you! Back to the gym and lots of flat work for me!

Come Shine
Nov. 29, 2009, 06:55 PM
A couple of things about rushing in the corner.

Build up his strength and rideability.

Don't discount a bit change. I use a Rubber Mullen mouth perham on my girl and it made a world of difference.

Make sure you have a nice pace coming into the fence, with a good supporting leg over the fence, so he lands balanced and not a heap on his front end.

Good luck!

shawneeAcres
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:02 PM
My two cents worth. Make sure you aren't leaning into your corners with your upper body. This will throw the horse off balance and cause them to rush. Sit over your outside seatbone thru the corners don't LEAN to outside, just sit deep into your outside seatbone and use your inside leg to support and bend. Make sure also that you aren't pulling on the outside rein thru the corner. Outside rein should SUPPORT but inside leg and rein should reate the bend.

Come Shine
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:40 PM
Sit over your outside seatbone thru the corners don't LEAN to outside, just sit deep into your outside seatbone and use your inside leg to support and bend.

My coach uses looking to the outside to help with not leaning to the outside. Good luck with it!