View Full Version : Finding adult hens this time of year? or... 'Hen/s Wanted'!

Nov. 29, 2009, 11:02 AM
Had a hen die last week.. probably egg bound, that broke. I'm killing myself trying to find 1 - 3 hens now. We bought 6 chicks from Tractor Supply in the spring. 4 were Roos, one of which went to a great adoptive home, leaving 3 remaining. Needless to say my one poor hen is outnumbered.

Can I complicate matters by asking that the hens be Old English Bantams?

Nov. 29, 2009, 10:51 PM
Craigslist would be a good place to start.

Nov. 29, 2009, 11:31 PM
Sansena, I know somebody who might be getting rid of some adult hens. I'll ask at the feed store this week, the feed store owner will know if this person is or isn't cutting down on her chickens. And if not that person, the feed store owner knows pretty much everyone with chickens in a 15 mile radius since I think everyone gets their chicks and feed from her anyways.
I'll let you know since we're in the same state.
Poor hen though...losing one and leaving one with all those roos.
Or maybe I'll catch the rogue chicken that leaves the rare egg in my barn. None of my close neighbors have hens so I have no idea where this rogue invisible chicken that hides eggs in my barn is coming from. :confused: And I'm highly doubting either of my geldings learned how to lay eggs. :winkgrin:

Nov. 30, 2009, 08:20 AM
Craigslist had nothing. However, there's a publication in our area called The Bargain News that has everything from household appliances to cars, to horse trailers and farm animals & equipment. They had an ad for bantams in the Sandy Hook area.. think I'll be giving them a call today.

But any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nov. 30, 2009, 11:34 AM
I see you are in CT but don't say where. I know Salem Feed and Grain in Salem Ct has hens for sale year round, they are more pricey than Craigslist but have adult laying hens for sale. You could try Craigslist or put up a flyer at your local feed and tack store too.

Nov. 30, 2009, 01:26 PM
You can buy pullets from McMurray and Stromberg's, I think.

Dec. 1, 2009, 12:50 PM
....and a 25 count minimum! Just called Salem Feed.. they're sold out.

Any more suggestions?

Dec. 1, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'd also try the Backyardchickens.com website and I'd suggest trying to hunt down your local 4H chicken leader. They may know someone local.

Here in California we also have a yahoo list for chicken keepers.

Dec. 1, 2009, 09:27 PM
how about track down the nearest 4H poultry club? They might have some leads

Dec. 2, 2009, 06:13 PM
Checked with the loca feed store Sansena, no luck. Nobody getting rid of hens.
There's a small livestock auction in Middlefield CT (next to Durham) that often has chickens though.

Dec. 3, 2009, 02:09 PM
Had a lovely visit from the zoning lady today (NOT).. who says we've had neighbors complain about our roosters. I'm especially miffed since we're obviously not the only ones in the area to have roosters, tho' admittedly having THREE wasn't exactly part of the plan.

Located in SW CT near the NY border. Plz. spread the word.. this is breaking my heart.

About 7 months old; the Old English is quite affectionate. The other two are just a bit skittish.. pics to follow.

Above cross posted in the Giveaways.. pending approval. This is killing me, after losing my wonderful dog less than a month ago, I was seriously bonding with these damned birds.

The older I get, the more it seems that things pile on in cycles, and I guess it's my turn... I'm not looking forward to what comes next.

Dec. 3, 2009, 03:24 PM
did you take her word on violation or did you look up the zoning regulations yourself?

Dec. 3, 2009, 03:29 PM
did you take her word on violation or did you look up the zoning regulations yourself?

Local and big government loves their paperwork, MAKE them show YOU the zoning. I wouldn't put it past people to just try to appease cranky town folk but lying to you about zoning rather than having to TELL your neighbors that you are within your legal rights and they can just deal :lol:

Dec. 3, 2009, 04:45 PM
googling now. never occurred to me this might be bogus. typing one-handed due to hugging the favorite roo... found a home who'll take 'em all...

Dec. 3, 2009, 05:38 PM
Don't trust the online info to be up to date and accurate.
Go to your town hall, go to the Town Clerk's office and ask to see the livestock zoning regulations for your actual address. For $1 they'll give you a copy. And yes, you can get zoning regs in the town clerk's office. The zoning office (also in town hall) is for applying and changing regs and compaining about them. But the actual rulea and regulations are kept in every town clerk's office in every town in CT. :winkgrin:
FWIW, it's not unusual for zoning folks to show up and try to "scare" people who actually are in compliance into giving up their animals. And only because it makes the neighbors shut up. Many times town employees take the path of least resistance and your neighbors squawked first.
Good luck and I hope like hell she was yanking your chain. Keep us updated?

Dec. 3, 2009, 06:00 PM
The bad news is, my husband is also in non-compliance, (supposedly) b/c of his 2 'hoop/tent' garages. So he's facing $100/day fines per building, and possible jail time. Since we *had* gotten permission from our neighbours, we're hoping the town will back off.

Having said that, DH feels that by getting rid of all the roos, it'll keep the neighbour who complained quiet, thereby keeping the heat off HIM for the garages.

As I said before, I found a home for them.. an old equine acquaintance said she'd take 'em. I just hate parting with my snarky little 'Chicken Hawk' type Old English. He puffs up when he sees me, then purrs and squats down asking to be picked up and put in my jacket.

((Chicken Hawk, as in the little one from the old Bugs Bunny/ Rhode Island Red cartoons-- same temperament. I'm damned near welling-up as I type this!))

Dec. 3, 2009, 08:03 PM
Aw that stinks. :no: I'd check on the regs for the coop tents too though eventually.
That was Foghorn Leghorn cartoons, he was my favorite Loony Tune character. With the tiny chicken hawk trying to eat him all the time and the nasty tricks he played on the farm dog.