PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Hunter/Jumper Barn in Maine

slscmm
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hello, I am looking for a Hunter/Jumper barn in Maine for boarding and training in the summer. A barn that competes in the A circuit in New England, and that has really high level training would be ideal. I'm starting my search from scratch so any recommendations and information would be so helpful. Thank you!!!

oldenburger with fries and a cold beer
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:40 AM
Happy Holidays!

Here are some of the barns that I am aware of:

Moon run farm
Meadow view eq center
Goodrich farm and Stables
Brookfieldcorner Farm
New Boston Farm

I don't know these trainers and have not ridden at these barns, I am just providing some info to help your search. Good luck! You may also want to check the Maine Horse Association which holds the medal finals.

blackcat95
Nov. 29, 2009, 12:01 PM
Moon run farm
Meadow view eq center
Goodrich farm and Stables
Brookfieldcorner Farm
New Boston Farm

I ride the Maine circuit during the summer, and from the criteria the OP posted, I don't know of a barn that would fit their needs. I've ridden against/ at all but one of those barns, and none of them are "A" circuit. (The one I don't have experience with is Meadow View). All the barns here that I know of do the local Maine/ NH circuit, which isn't anywhere near "A" level. NH would be a better choice if you are looking for "A" circuit training.

New Boston would be the most "high level" barn, but they don't do "A" shows as far as I know. The trainer is good and they have a nice facility though. They have school horses and you can board. Moon Run is basically a breeding/ riding facility- low level, lessons and boarding. Not spectacular facilities. They used to go down to Aiken for the winter circuit, but I think that was only to sell ponies. Goodrich is a lesson barn with some shows. Brookfield is a boarding facility with a trainer, but they are more of a combined training facility than hunter jumper.

Another possibility would be Avalon Meadows Equestrian Center. They're a fairly new facility, but they seem to have good riders and horses (I've competed against them). I don't think they do "A" stuff, but I heard they might be working up to that because they are fairly new. http://www.avalonmeadowsequestriancenter.com/ website

Good luck with your trainer search, hope to see you around in the great state of Maine this summer! :)

Hound Dog Diaries
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:03 PM
I second the opinion of going to a NH barn if you are looking to do the 'A' shows. In my experience, most of the barns in Maine generally stay in Maine for their horse shows, which are nowhere near 'A' quality. As far as I know, there isn't a single USEF-rated (hunter or jumper) horse show in the state all year.

Meadow View is another one of those barns that stays in the state.

I had the same question last year and pretty much discovered that if you want an 'A' barn, you'll have to leave the state.

Darden
Nov. 29, 2009, 06:21 PM
Isn't Rachel Clawson up in Maine? And what about Virginia Shaw, who grew up riding with Jay Sargent and who rode for Fieldstone. They would both be excellent I would think.

toomanyponies
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:11 PM
look up Kate Thompson - she's great and comes down to New England A shows

meupatdoes
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:15 PM
Meg Black is a rated judge who is now based in Maine.

I don't think she has the type of show program you are looking for but I am sure she would be happy to help you out with recommendations.

Her email is
islewoodfarm@yahoo.com

slscmm
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies and those who pm'd as well. I can't tell you how helpful all your responses are. I will definitely contact your recommendations.

anthem35
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:03 AM
Would certainly be my choice for what you're looking for!!!
Great trainer, VERY nice girl, and very fair.....
Can def get you around the 'A' circuit!!!!
:)

www.stonewallstables.com