PDA

View Full Version : Best "Farm Cart"

monalisa
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:21 AM
In the market for a good serviceable "Farm Cart" - something I would use to haul hay inside the barn, not to clean stalls. Someone mentioned one from Target (Agri-Fab Garden and Farm Cart, 14 cu.) but the reviews on this product are less than favorable.

Any suggestions????? Don't want to spend $400 either!

Zu Zu
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:13 AM
My best farm cart is a two wheel wooden cart from LL Bean - it holds two bales - two more can go on top - and is also easy dumping as the back wall slides out ~ this is literally 40 years old and has been passed down through the family. I realize it is probably expensive - price ? but well worth the $ IMHO.

Sonesta
Nov. 29, 2009, 06:36 PM
I love the Vermont carts. http://www.cartsvermont.com/

In almost 20 years of farm life, I finally had to replace the first one about 2 years ago. They are light weight and strong and easy to maneuver.

monalisa
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:16 AM
Not sure they make the LL Bean carts any longer - cannot find them on their Web site or though Google. Does anyone know otherwise?

ChocoMare
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:29 AM
The Rubbermaid Big Wheel Farm ToughCart (http://www.cleaningstuff.net/cleaningsupplies/All/11523/Rubbermaid-Big-Wheel-Cart-5642,.htm). Five years on and mine is still going strong. Got it at Home Depot and it has more than paid for itself over and over and over again.

Zu Zu
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:32 AM
Try calling LL Bean - as they have a garden catalog also - I'll try to find out for you be back in a few!

Zu Zu
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:40 AM
Not sure they make the LL Bean carts any longer - cannot find them on their Web site or though Google. Does anyone know otherwise?
Sorry monalisa ~ I called LL Bean and they no longer carry any carts like the wooden ones - just one for logs and one for kyaks?sp ~ you might try to google Brookstone as I thought they carried some type of cart similiar to the old LLBean carts for gardening. Again sorry !

SLW
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:39 AM
In the market for a good serviceable "Farm Cart" - something I would use to haul hay inside the barn, not to clean stalls. Someone mentioned one from Target (Agri-Fab Garden and Farm Cart, 14 cu.) but the reviews on this product are less than favorable.

Any suggestions????? Don't want to spend $400 either!

How many bales do you need to move at one time? How many horses are you feeding?? A dedicated haybarrow like the one Chocomare offered could work.

ChocoMare
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
How many bales do you need to move at one time? How many horses are you feeding?? A dedicated haybarrow like the one Chocomare offered could work.

I can move three to four 40 pound bales at a time with the Rubbermaid Cart.

I've also used it as a giant hand truck to move a Tack Closet, hauled water in it out to a pasture tub when the hydrant broke, carted gravel & dirt from a pile to the driveway to fill holes, moved jump standards and hauled lots of poop/bad hay out to the pile.

It turns on a dime and can be pushed or pulled with one hand.

blueboo
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:09 AM
I can move three to four 40 pound bales at a time with the Rubbermaid Cart.

I've also used it as a giant hand truck to move a Tack Closet, hauled water in it out to a pasture tub when the hydrant broke, carted gravel & dirt from a pile to the driveway to fill holes, moved jump standards and hauled lots of poop/bad hay out to the pile.

It turns on a dime and can be pushed or pulled with one hand.

It also works wonderfully to haul a car load of groceries from the outside of the yard fence to the back door, and wood from the woodshed to the house :lol:

SLW
Nov. 30, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'm of the thought that you can never have too many types of utility carts/wagons. I have my big 2 wheel, wheelbarrow for stall cleaning and anything else. I have a cart that attaches to the riding lawn mower and my favorite is my little green metal wagon with drop down sides. I am the Lunch Lady to my horses when the buckets of feed and beet pulp are loaded on it and I make the trek across down the barn aisle. :)