PDA

View Full Version : Light Critique

PhysicalForce
Nov. 29, 2009, 03:13 AM
So this is from a few years ago. But I do not think much has changed due to my lack of riding. I know that lately when I ride I have been trying to focus on pulling my shoulders back and stretching down into my heel. The only problem is that I have always had a tendency to ride with my hands more in front of me and up the horses neck, and when i try to pull my shoulders back I feel like I am pulling my hands into my lap. Any tips?

Also I have been trying to ride without stirrups and do a lot of two point stretching down into my heel, any other things I could work on?

Thanks a bunch! And sorry they are pictures of a video. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/Eventer0227/Tess-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/Eventer0227/HPIM0100-1.jpg

LaraNSpeedy
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:43 AM
The photos are not great. The flat picture - you are way too forward. You might need to take some dressage lessons to sort of counter your tendancy. If you rode like this habitually for a while....

You might also lift your chest up and ride with your hands over the withers, sit into your heels and think of the front of the horse's body being ahead of you not under you.

I cant tell anything from the jumping picture!

KateKat
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:35 AM
agree with your self assessment. Just practice riding really focusing on trying to get vertical. Have someone on the ground tell you when you get there. You just need to build that muscle memory.

For the jumping pic, looked like you were jumping ahead. Try shortening your stirrups a hole or so and focus on closing your hip angle, not opening and standing in your stirrups.

kateh
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:30 PM
Something that someone posted on here a few weeks ago has helped me with my slouching. Instead of thinking "shoulders back" think "lift your diaphragm." It automatically straightens your back and rolls your shoulders back.

sptraining
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:39 PM
Something that someone posted on here a few weeks ago has helped me with my slouching. Instead of thinking "shoulders back" think "lift your diaphragm." It automatically straightens your back and rolls your shoulders back.

Or look up! If you're looking up, you can't drop your shoulders and slouch.

For upper body position, take a deep breath and feel where your body is...that's where your position should be. (Now start breathing again) :)

PhysicalForce
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks a bunch! Yeah looking down has been a reoccurring bad habit for a long time, but once I look up, I can feel everything align and come together much nicer. I will really work on that!

Hopefully I can have my friends help me some more just by letting me know what they see. I have a tendency to duck and perch and I don't realize I am doing it until I see videos/pics or someone tells me. But your suggestions are great and I will keep them circulating through my consciousness as I ride.