PDA

View Full Version : A Champion goes out like one!

shawneeAcres
Nov. 28, 2009, 06:12 PM
Many of you NC peeps will know the pony of whom I speak today. "Lost My Sock" is a (reputed to be) 23 year old pony, welsh/QH cross. Today was his last Short Stirrup show. He has shown throughout the years in rated pony divisions, and shown many kids the ropes. Over the past few years that my student as had him, so many people have come up to us at shows to say how this pony taught them SO much! He is truly a saint of a pony, will pack the little walk/trotters, but when they get old enough he steps it up a bit and MAKES them ride right! His hocks have fused now, and even with joint injections and adequan he has some difficulty with his changes, and when he misses one he KNOWS it and get kinda mad about it! He has taken this kid from walk/trot thru SS and now is being passed down to her 5 yr old sister. He will teach her walk/trot, she is already showing him walk/trot and doing great, and probably young entry, but no more SS for him. I don't think he much liked the idea, as he looked as spry as ever today as he won the year end SS Hunter champion for the Bennett Bunn NCHJA "C" series! He pulled a 4th out in the warmup for ALL the warmups for the day! THis year he has accomplished so much with his young rider, even at his advanced age, WINNING the inhand pony class at 4-H division and champion SS there as well. Then at 4-H state show he placed 4th again in hand and was 3rd overall in the SS division at the end of the show, only because his rider made a slight error in the EQ class. She won the showmanship here with him, and as you NC people know that is no small feat! He is a once in a lifetime pony, still LOVES to show, he cannot stand to be left at home! Several years ago he had to step down from the divisions to the SS and now another step down, but he will still be out there packing his little 5 yr old around and making sure to nip us when we get cocky! What a CHAMP!

A few pics from the Octoer Bennett Bunn show:

Walk/Trot with his "new" kid:

http://www.bbp1009.photoherald.com/index.php/view_enlarged_photo/index/04249022.JPG

His "old" kid doing SS:

http://www.bbp1009.photoherald.com/index.php/view_enlarged_photo/index/04249055.JPG

In the Costume class:

http://www.bbp1009.photoherald.com/index.php/view_enlarged_photo/index/04248989.JPG

kfildes
Nov. 28, 2009, 06:23 PM
Awwwww ... congrats! Ponies like that are worth their weight in gold :-)

Noctis
Nov. 28, 2009, 07:28 PM
What a true gentleman! All kids should be so lucky :)

shawneeAcres
Nov. 28, 2009, 07:46 PM
Sorry it appears the photo links above don't work properly

mep0726
Nov. 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
I am from NC and have seen him go numerous times. I actually watched his SS rounds at 4H States this year and hat pony is definitely worth his weight in gold!

hellerkm
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:23 AM
What more can you say? you tribute posted above is wonderful, ponies like this are WHY kids love to ride, we own one and let me tell you she will NEVER leave us even after the last kid learns to ride she will spend her days munching grass and being loved on! Lucky you for enjoying this pony for so many years!!

shawneeAcres
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:28 AM
Yes this guy has a LIFETIME home! If my student's parents for some reason can no longer keep him when he retires he will come here and live at my farm!

scrbear11
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:39 AM
We've seen him at many horse shows. Me and the BO always comment "what a saint." Good luck to him! I hope we still see him doing the young entry division at the shows. It'll be sad when we don't see him anymore.