PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes farm life ain't so fun.

bird4416
Nov. 28, 2009, 03:23 PM
This morning I was bringing in a horse for a trail ride and noticed my neighbors cows standing at the fence line. I looked closer and there was a deer hanging by its hind leg. It had somehow gotten hung up in the fencing. It was still alive and struggling. We had no choice but to kill it as its leg looked broken and it was a big buck. It took myself and 2 strong men to free the leg and get him down. I felt bad for it as it appeared to have been there for a while. If anyone is interested, I took a pic after it was shot but before we got it down. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2955308550034166832pUNJjD (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2955308550034166832pUNJjD)
Its not gross, just sad. All that torn up ground is from it struggling. Poor boy.

NoDQhere
Nov. 28, 2009, 03:51 PM
Poor deer. What a shame. Sometimes they just misjudge and get hung up. Usually it is the youngsters, though. I found a yearling with a hind leg caught and hanging like that. There was no board on top of the fence so it's leg wasn't broken. It was a heck of a job trying to hold the deer and cut the wire at the same time. Of course I was alone:lol:. But I got him out, made sure the leg wasn't broken and sent him on his way. He was really lame but I think he recovered fine.

Finding injured or sick animals and hitting fawns with the swather are the few things I HATE about farm life :no:

MistyBlue
Nov. 28, 2009, 03:56 PM
Ahh poor guy. They sometimes do that, although that's a low fence for a deer. But then they can misjudge heights too.
If he didn't break the leg, with that amount of pawed up ground and the angle he was hanging from there definitely would have been some ligament/tendon damage at least. Either way kinder to end his life. Just a crappy way to end life for the poor fellow.
Are you going to process him for the freezer?

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 28, 2009, 04:13 PM
Deer here get hung up on the iron fence spikes of Wormsloe, an old plantation now owned by the state. They try to jump the fence by the road and get speared on the top.

They are great jumpers though.

HighFlyinBey++
Nov. 28, 2009, 04:15 PM
Back in the late 80s, a boyfriend & I were out riding on papermill lands when we came across the long-dried out skeleton & hide of a nubbin buck. He didn't make it over the wire fence and hung by his stifles until he died. Poor thing.

Bird, I'm glad you found your buck and could end his suffering.

kookicat
Nov. 28, 2009, 04:21 PM
Poor boy.

You did the right thing though- he wouldn't have lasted long in the wild with a damaged leg.

JSwan
Nov. 28, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm glad you were there to end his suffering. Hope you were able to utilize the meat.

bird4416
Nov. 28, 2009, 05:06 PM
The meat was kept as was the head. I'm debating having it mounted.

thatmoody
Nov. 28, 2009, 05:09 PM
At least you found him in time to end it quickly and to eat him! Better that than him dying after a prolonged period and you finding him a long time later.

MistyBlue
Nov. 28, 2009, 05:18 PM
I'd consider mounting the head too. It's a nice balanced 8 pointer. Not easy to get on purpose at all.
Although taxidermy isn't inexpensive, for a nice specimen it can be worth it if you like that look. :yes:

Daydream Believer
Nov. 28, 2009, 06:00 PM
Sorry for the deer and having to deal with something that grim. My neighbors put up that cattle wire stuff and they were always having deer tangled in that.

Bluey
Nov. 28, 2009, 06:14 PM
We have five wire barbwire fence and one day a big buck was hung there, dying by the time we found it.
His legs looked fine, he was just exhausted.
We got him loose, dragged him into the trailer and took him to a stall in the barn.
The vet was out and we gave the buck IV fluids, being careful, in case he gained strenght and cleaned the stall of people.
I was holding his head for the vet by the horns and one came off in my hand and I felt terrible.

We left the stall door into the run and the gate out into the brush open, in case he rallied, but he didn't make it, passed on some time in the night.

Guess that we should have just shot him, save him any more stress, although I think he didn't really know any more that we were around.

That is the only time in all those many years we found one hung on a fence, but once we found two antilope bucks tied together by their horns, one dead, the other dragging the dead one around and almost dead too, that we shot.
We could not get the horns untangled, with them both dead.

Yours sure looks like he had some severe injuries, hanging like that.
At least you made his suffering shorter.

Touchstone Farm
Nov. 28, 2009, 07:32 PM
I remember my high school music teacher telling about a trail ride that he and his wife were on and came across a fawn caught in a fence with the doe frantic. Because they had the horses, they could put the horses between the doe and the fawn, and the doe didn't seem nearly as panicked because she didn't see them as "people." They freed the fawn and off the ran together. A happier story.

KPF
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:29 PM
I was trail riding one day around the perimeter of the farm I used to board at that had field fence. My normally quiet QH started sort of looking at something up ahead and when we got closer, I realized it was a deer leg caught in the wire part of the fence :eek:. Still had the fur on it, it had been ripped out at the socket-- guess there was a 3 legged deer out there somewhere. It was seriously freaky, neither my horse nor I was happy with the discovery!

Glad you at least get to eat your poor buck.

WaningMoon
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:58 AM
Deer here get hung up on the iron fence spikes of Wormsloe, an old plantation now owned by the state. They try to jump the fence by the road and get speared on the top.

They are great jumpers though.

Those fences are horrid. I think they should have something added to the tips so they are sharp. Around here many of them have been torn down. We had a horrid accident here. My friend Tammys boy was climbing a tree near the cemetary and he fell from the tree and was impaled on the fence, and died, only 5 yrs old. It shook the community up for a while and the fences have been coming down.

bird4416
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:58 AM
That's awful.

Pelican Bay
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:35 PM
Poor guy! He was lucky you found him and ended his suffering quickly. Good for you.