PDA

View Full Version : Stinky barn dog -- any shampooing secrets that would work?

TKR
Nov. 28, 2009, 03:13 PM
My barn dog companion also likes to come into the house. Unfortunately he really stinks! Anyone have a good tip about what to use to bathe him to get rid of the unpleasant smelly dog odor? He's a GSD.
Thanks,
PennyG

threedogpack
Nov. 28, 2009, 04:12 PM
Frequent bathing, once a week is good and make sure you use high quality dog food.

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 28, 2009, 04:33 PM
Apply one of the "waterless" shampoos or get a big bottle of original formula Listerine and use it on him when he smells "doggie."

Bathing once a week removes dead skin and bacteria and the like. Make sure his bedding in the barn is clean, sometimes a stinky dog is a dog whose bedding is dirty.

MistyBlue
Nov. 28, 2009, 05:14 PM
If you bathe him, make sure to scrub right down to the skin to remove excess oils and old skin and whatever else he's rolled in to save for aroma purposes.
However...the best way to destink a dog is to make an appointment with the groomers and drop him off with strict instructions not to add any foofy bows or bandanas.
Then pick him up later silky and smelling lovely. :winkgrin:

Invite
Nov. 28, 2009, 06:23 PM
I had a great shampoo made by Lambert Kay called Fresh'nClean with baking soda. It was great stuff.
My old Lab gets extremely oily/greasy and smelly. I can no longer lift him into the tub, so he goes to the groomer in chilly weather when my waterless shampoo doesn't do they trick. The groomer is great. She trims the fur between his paw pads, clips his nails, cleans his ears, and brushes him out after he gets blown dry. I do let Duncan get the fancy bandana. I think he feels special and a little cocky, so I let him feel like a cool dude!

In the summer, he gets bathed via hose (i have a coupler thingy so he has warm water for his baths!) I always make sure to wash his paws and the fur between the paw pads. He walks through manure, so paws are a smelly area.

He is now eating EVO dog food and has been on it for a while. His coat does seem to be less smelly on this food.

For some reason, my yellow Lab is not as smelly or greasy as Duncan who is black.

JanM
Nov. 28, 2009, 06:28 PM
Invite-some dogs do seem to have more oil or thicker fur that is harder to keep clean and fresh. I second the drop 'em off at the groomer, or if you definitely want to do the honors yourself go to a self dog wash place and use their facilities-much easier than having to clean your place up after, and they usually have an easier in-and-out for the tub so you don't have to lift them.

A dog bakery/dog bathing shop where I used to live had different scented flavors you could have them use on your dogs, and I always found that hysterical. My dog would have been very mad at me if I had inflicted that indignity on him, of course he loved the dog cookies I bought there.

deacon's mom
Nov. 28, 2009, 08:13 PM
makes my very fluffy GSD smelly and sour. Even after hosing he brings in a ton of dirt and grit into the house. It looks like the beach is on my floor! I'd love some good suggestions how to get him cleaned up.

Mali
Nov. 28, 2009, 08:19 PM
For REALLY deep cleaning (but not frequent), I use either Dawn dish detergent or Murphy's Oil Soap. Murphy's works great to get the "greasies" out (it's the best for shampooing horsey tails also).

*JumpIt*
Nov. 28, 2009, 08:34 PM
Ha,when it is warm my little dog gets a bath everytime we leave the barn, when it is too cold for a bath she wears a sweater. I just toss it in the wash. :lol:

Go Fish
Nov. 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
My Corgis are working/barn dogs. If there's something stinky to roll in, they'll find it. I have pretty good success with Orvus.

Ruth0552
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:06 AM
why don't you try the skunk dog shampoo? baking soda, dawn dish soap, and hydrogen peroxide. Google it and you should come up with the ratios.

A GSD probably has a ton of old undercoat stuck in his fur- If you get an undercoat rake, a slicker brush, or a furminator, I bet he would be a lot easier to clean and smell a lot less.

TKR
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the tips -- he's had a bath -- soaped him thoroughly twice with some regular shampoo and scrubbed with a rubber curry comb down to the skin. Yes, GSD's are hard to get wet and bathe with all the fur. He has been brushed a fair amount and is on a natural dog food (Natures Recipe). He's older, so going to a groomer is out, he would just not be happy with that. I'll brush him and probably bathe him again in a couple of weeks. He still has a smell, unfortunately, but not as bad and he's fluffier!
PennyG

birdsong
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:59 AM
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/people-and-pets/dogs/how-to-was-a-skunked-do/

Googled it..glad I did..would have been worried when it bubbled!! teehee
Think I'll try this on my GSD.

She's very devoted but has a loose screw ...she's a rescue who must have been beaten while she was CHAINED all of her life.

She has to be muzzled and cross tied before I can brush or bathe her....sigh
otherwise a great dog.

Ben and Me
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:57 PM
How are his ears? Probably not the issue if he has "pointy" ears, but often times labs (or other breeds with floppy ears--Cockers and Goldens, especially) smell because of a yeast infection that is brewing in there. It's a very distinctive odor. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give his ears a good cleaning, just to be safe - it's a good idea to do it after every bath/swimming session to dry up any moisture that might have gotten down in there.

I like the Epi-Otic solution for ear cleaning.

Really bad breath could also be contributing - how are his teeth?

As for waterless shampoos, I really like Miracle Coat's. It smells like Tea Tree oil, which I really like the smell of (I know others don't like it as much). My lab loves to roll in stinky stuff, and it gets her back to smelling at least decently.

They also make dog "colognes," which we used in the tail region at the practice where I used to work after expressing anal glands. I liked the Fresh and Clean brand, but there are many to choose from.

There are mobile groomers in many cities that come to your house with a grooming mobile! Might be an option if he has anxiety about being away from you. :)

ETA: You may want to try an antibacterial shampoo from your vet, such as a Chlorhex shampoo. Oftentimes skin allergies/infections can cause a serious stink as well!

Pelican Bay
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:16 PM
makes my very fluffy GSD smelly and sour. Even after hosing he brings in a ton of dirt and grit into the house. It looks like the beach is on my floor! I'd love some good suggestions how to get him cleaned up.

One thing that always worked for me in regards to the grit and sand the dogs brought in from outside was to crate them a few minutes straight from outside. The time in the crate allowed the wet parts to dry that had the bits of grit and sand stuck to them and most of it fell off in the crate and not on my floor. As for the manure smell, washing is the only thing that will take care of that.

Cloverbarley
Nov. 29, 2009, 03:09 PM
Does the dog primarily live outdoors or in the barn, rather than living in your house? If so, do remember that the oil in their coat is protection against the elements so you don't want to strip the coat of grease and oil. A bath once in a while won't do any harm but only use a mild doggy-friendly shampoo. I'd definitely check his ears and teeth as both these things can add to the whiff of a dog. Remember that keeping inside dogs is different to keeping outside dogs.

Arab/WBGirl
Nov. 29, 2009, 04:07 PM
I like MediClean Shampoo by FreshnClean. It's a nice pearly green color with a mediciny smell. Shake the bottle before you use it. Shampoo them once them rinse, then soap them up really good and let it sit for about 15 minutes then soap them up again. Works really well and deodorizes that doggie smell.
Good luck!
Dawn

wendy
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:14 PM
If it's "doggy odor" instead of "stuff I rolled in" it's probably the food- Nature's recipe is one of those grain-heavy foods that pretends to be "healthy". Most dogs fed high-protein low carb diets lose their "doggy odor" unless wet.

Casey09
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:08 PM
Maybe rinse with apple cidar vinegar?
Disclaimer: I've never tried it, but I've been told that it is good for their skin and vinegar tends to neutralize odors.
Other than that, I would bathe frequently. At least he'll be clean (even if he doesn't smell clean).

MistyBlue
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:26 PM
A vinegar rinse (diluted in water) is what I use on my horses after I bathe them...does a great job giving them shine, cutting any leftover soap in the coat and repels flies.
Tough to use on dogs though...vinegar can be very drying. Not to mention the dog will trade dog-stink for salad dressing stink. ;) :lol:
Vinegar does cut smells though...try it in your laundry sometimes when washing barn jackets. It will also help dissolve soap scum in the washer. I also use vinegar in an empty wash cycle in the washer after I wash horse blankets.
And I use it for cleaning and disinfecting in the house too. I go through gallons of the stuff, but I use white distilled vinegar so things don't smell like apple cider afterwards.

kdow
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:46 PM
If it's "doggy odor" instead of "stuff I rolled in" it's probably the food- Nature's recipe is one of those grain-heavy foods that pretends to be "healthy". Most dogs fed high-protein low carb diets lose their "doggy odor" unless wet.

My guy gets EVO and still persists in being more 'doggy' smelling than our other dog. I think it is the undercoat - it seems to really trap the dirt and oil in there making him just simply prone to being more stinky than our other dog (cocker spaniel, no double coat.)

(That said, he does smell a LOT less now than he did when he arrived on Science Diet. EW.)

Anyway, I don't like to bathe them too often so they get a bath about once a month/every six weeks, and then about once a week I go over him with a waterless shampoo - I have some stuff that comes out in a mousse and has oatmeal in it which works well on him because he has itchy skin, but there's a lot of options out there. (Including - baking soda! Just sprinkle it on and rub it down to the skin, leave it for a bit so it absorbs some of the grease and stink, then brush out.) I make sure to comb him really well, too, particularly in the spots where I know his undercoat is thickest. Helps to get any loose hairs out and spread the oils around a bit.

I don't really like to use the doggy perfumes because some of them smell really strong to ME, so I wonder how they must make the dog feel. "Mom, I can't smell anything but mango!" :)

Gracie
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:14 PM
why don't you try the skunk dog shampoo? baking soda, dawn dish soap, and hydrogen peroxide. Google it and you should come up with the ratios.

I used this treatment on my GSD all summer long. It works!

ponygirl
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:17 PM
I use an oatmeal based shampoo on my 1/2 husky 1/2 catahoula leopard dog. He has a lot of it and it's very difficult to get wet and takes forever to dry. I have been told by vets that the oils in a dogs coat are needed so to strip them out with "harsher" shampoos isn't a good idea as it won't make the "dog smell" go away. It also could make matters worst- dry skin which leads to itching, hot spots, etc, etc.

wendy
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:26 PM
me, I find that frequent bathing actually makes dogs smell worse and get dirtier- if you leave them their coat oils dirt tends to just easily brush out of the coat, rolled-in odors don't stick as well. I bathe once a year or so and just spot-clean any icky "I rolled on stuff". Otherwise, brush frequently, strip out loose undercoat, and leave the shampoo for the people.
A dog with some kind of persistant obvious doggy odor I would change the diet and check the ears and skin and teeth and anal glands for something unhealthy going on. Hounds may smell a bit houndy regardless of what you do, but most healthy dogs don't have an obvious odor even if not bathed.

Movin Artfully
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:40 PM
My lovely Blue Heeler Grace Jones gets Herbal Essences shampoo/conditioner probably 5-6 x's per year.

No, it is not made for dogs. But she still stunk after Orvus...

Yes, I realize dogs are not supposed to smell like roses...

...but I do not think it is any more cruel to smell like a rose for a day...than to reek like a skunk for 3 weeks at a time which she seems to manage without fail between 2-4x's/year. Lots of pond swimming, and sleeping in pine shavings during those glorious times.

**total hijack...but why can't the blasted hunters dump their dead deer parts/carcasses somewhere else other than country ditches outside of our horse farm? Grace thanks you immensely...I curse you with the same fervor! My dog does not have odor from health problems...she has it from eating/rolling in dead things :) If only I were a Blue Heeler at my farm...Sheer Bliss!

Nauset
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:30 PM
I use and really like these shampoos:
http://www.bobbipanter.com/

I get them from Smartpak and they are fabulous!

howardh
Dec. 8, 2009, 09:06 PM
for ultimate laziness, Fresh n clean has a great spray! Whenever I bathe my dogs they always manage to become just as stinky or dirty within a few hours.

I quick blast of fresh and clean spray does wonders if you are trying to impress guests...

I admit I keep a bottle in my car and use it on myself if I am really horsey! :lol: