PDA

View Full Version : What Saddles Do the Top hunter and Jumper Riders Ride In?

Treasmare2
Nov. 28, 2009, 02:21 PM
After reading the Tad Coffin thread where the point was made about what top riders use them. It made me think about what saddles do the top riders use? It is frequently hard to see what it is they are sitting in but I think it is rather an interesting question. The only one I have to add is I am pretty sure Beth Underhill rides in Antares.

spmoonie
Nov. 28, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'd say the top brands are Antares, Hermes, CWD, County, Devoucoux, Beval (Butet), Prestige, Stackhouse, and probably a few others I am forgetting. :)

Carol Ames
Nov. 28, 2009, 03:15 PM
I'd say the top brands are Antares, Hermes, CWD, County, Devoucoux, Beval (Butet), Prestige, Stackhouse, and probably a few others I am forgetting. :)

Lucassb
Nov. 28, 2009, 04:04 PM
Top riders often ride in whatever saddle the company that sponsors them offers. ;) Doesn't mean they don't like them, but most don't care much one way or the other and could as easily ride in an Antares or a CWD or whatever. The reps from those companies provide whatever sort of options the rider prefers and most will give a discount or bonus of sorts for each sale they make to the rider's clients that purchase based on their recommendation.

Alterrain
Nov. 28, 2009, 05:55 PM
Of the top of my head: Antares, Hermes, CWD, Devoucoux, Butet, Prestige, Delgrange and probably a few others I am forgetting. :)

I have never heard of a Stackhouse :confused:

SpicyMonarch
Nov. 28, 2009, 06:04 PM
Stackhouse is a very eventer-ish brand. Gaining popularity with the tall male jumper riders though.

mvp
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:51 AM
Yup, they ride in the saddles that sponsors give them. If those saddles fit them and the horse well, they'll ride in those puppies at home, too.

But the pros ride in what works for them. But I can't imagine what that has to do with what anyone else rides in. The geometry of their body determines what they like; yours will do the same. Remember, however, that pros differ from ammies to two important respects: They tend to be fitter than we are (but also have more milage on their body), and ride tougher horses. Both of those things determine saddle choice as well as their perception of a saddle's balance.

And don't forget that even the unsponsored riders get deals from saddlers. If you walk into a barn full of Devoucoux saddles, for example, it may not mean that that saddles is the very best for you.

Not So Practical Horse(WO)man
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:08 AM
Almost the whole US Olympic team rode in CWDs. Apparently, Mclain refuses to ride in anything else...just what I heard through the grapevine

meupatdoes
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:18 AM
If this is a pro who is riding *my* horse around the ring, s/he is using my saddle that has been fitted to that horse.

CBoylen
Nov. 29, 2009, 12:18 PM
Do you go looking for pros that are your size and shape? You can't pick a professional based on whether or not they're going to fit in your saddle. They're going to bring their own that they feel comfortable in, unless yours is of similar size and style.

meupatdoes
Nov. 29, 2009, 12:29 PM
Do you go looking for pros that are your size and shape? You can't pick a professional based on whether or not they're going to fit in your saddle. They're going to bring their own that they feel comfortable in, unless yours is of similar size and style.

First of all, I very rarely have pros ride my horses.

Secondly, I ride in 17.5-ish saddles, which is pretty standard. They approximately fit most people.

Thirdly, saddle fit is important to me. I do not believe that one medium tree will fit most horses. For this reason I own multiple saddles that are different widths and different shapes. They are not interchangeable on different horses. I notice when the fit is gappy under the tree points, when the panels aren't the same angle as the back, when the saddle simply wasn't designed for a high withered horse, etc.

Surely if people routinely expect horses to "just deal" with whatever saddle that approximately fits (or fits TRAGICALLY as is often visible from 50 yards away in the schooling area), I can put the horse first for a change and expect a rider to "just deal."

So the fit is a little off.
Eh, you can deal.

Or the riders can, of course, only go looking to ride horses that are their saddle's size and shape rather than blithely expecting every horse on the planet to put up with sub par saddle fit. Which is, btw, what every person who puts the same saddle on every single horse they ride is doing.

Obviously if their saddle happens to fit well they can go right ahead, but if somebody's saddle does not fit my horse, and they refuse to ride in something that does, they will not be riding my horse.

mvp
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm fussy about saddle fit, too. I know how to fit horses pretty well, and I can usually predict how much damage I'll do by riding a horse in an ill-fitting saddle. I also know how to help fix minor damage I do.

That having been said, I do think most horses with undamaged backs can cope with one division worth of riding in a sort-of-wrong saddle at a show.

But the original point of the thread was about how much merit anyone ought to place in what another person chooses as their saddle of choice. Unless you do, in fact, pick your pro by judging how similar their body type is to yours.

tnscvaga
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.stackhousesaddles.com/stackhousesaddle.html

feather river
Nov. 29, 2009, 06:21 PM
some of you are getting off the track here. I think the poster is just looking for a few brand names, without all the hyperbole about bad saddle fit, my trainer will ride my horse in whatever I say, etc.

how about let's have the thread discuss the pros and cons of the different ones people have had experience with as well as ones that you definitely know a top rider uses. forget all this stuff about bad saddle fit, etc. Everyone knows that. :eek:

Treasmare2
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:43 PM
Thank you feather river.....my interest was in what big name people ride in what saddles. I was sort of thinking what merits each big name saddle offers or why they use that saddle but I guess frequently a free saddle may be the motivation....not quality, balance, how the saddle positions the rider. There are alot of big name saddles and selecting one is difficult but knowing if the saddle one is considering is in actual competition with a big name rider would be interesting to know. If so many are using a free saddle the maker is not really getting much bang for the buck if the information just stays in the BNT barn. For instance what make is Tommy Serio's saddle, or what saddle was on Rumba when he won the Hunter Derby?

Lucassb
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:49 PM
Thank you feather river.....my interest was in what big name people ride in what saddles. I was sort of thinking what merits each big name saddle offers or why they use that saddle but I guess frequently a free saddle may be the motivation....not quality, balance, how the saddle positions the rider. There are alot of big name saddles and selecting one is difficult but knowing if the saddle one is considering is in actual competition with a big name rider would be interesting to know. If so many are using a free saddle the maker is not really getting much bang for the buck if the information just stays in the BNT barn. For instance what make is Tommy Serio's saddle, or what saddle was on Rumba when he won the Hunter Derby?

I believe John French (who rode Rumba to the win in the Derby) is sponsored by Devoucoux.

Most of the higher end saddles include custom fitting - so the balance, fit etc is adjusted to suit the rider/horse. So the saddle that sits on Rumba might be lovely, but totally different from a Devoucoux purchased for someone else (or someone else's horse.) The "endorsement" such as it is, is more about quality and service than it is about a specific product.

The best way to select a saddle, IMO, is to try a bazillion of them and see what suits you and your horse. I've had most of the high end stuff - Devoucoux, Antares, TC, etc. I currently ride in a Butet, which is more or less an off the rack saddle - you can choose the seat (flat or deep) the flap length, etc, but it's not one of a kind. I prefer it to the custom Antares and Devoucoux saddles I previously purchased for this particular horse. Antares was great to work with and tried hard to come up with a solution for me (although they ultimately failed, they did cheerfully refund my $$$) while Devoucoux was an absolute nightmare to deal with.

If you are in the market for a new saddle, try to find somewhere where you can find a bunch of different brands, sizes and styles. The mobile vendors at big shows are often great for this, as they tend to have a wide variety on hand. Happy shopping!

CBoylen
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:33 PM
For instance what make is Tommy Serio's saddle
Tommy rides in Richard Castelows. They're specific to what he wants though, not exactly the same as other RC saddles.

Not So Practical Horse(WO)man
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:46 PM
Tommy rides in Richard Castelows. They're specific to what he wants though, not exactly the same as other RC saddles.

I drool everytime I see or ride in an RC. I am so in love. Its almost an affair with my CWD. Haha but I do love my CWD. I didn't pick it because the big guys were riding in it, I picked it because it fit me the best, offered what I wanted for myself the best and it only costed $500 if I were to get a new horse to have new panels put on. I had the best balance for me, least amount of bulk, blocks in the right places, and I heard great things about their customer service(which all turned out to be true when I thought I was haivng a few problems with the saddle).

Summit Springs Farm
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:00 PM
Megan Edrick rides in CWD, she rides for Don Stewart.

I just bought a Devouscous and love it, I bought a lamicil pad that's great for fitting the multitude of horses I ride. Love the lamicil pad!!

If that doesn't work however I have a County that is very different and fits also of horses as well with varying the pad.

As far as Pros riding in your not their saddle, I haven't come across a pro that hasn't brought their saddle when thay have come to ride my horses.
I just have it put on my horse check it repad if necessary and then he's off.

MILOUTE55
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
Albert Zoer, Harry Smolders, Rolf Goran Bengtsson, Kevin Staut, Steve Guerdat and McLain Ward are all riding in CWD saddles...
6 out of the 12 world's best jumper riders (current FEI ranking list)!!! Not to mention Will Simpson, Louise Serio, Nick Karazissis, Kent Farrington and many others....

Some of them have been with CWD for many years, long before they even became famous, like Rolf or McLain. Some recently joined the team, like Albert... I'm so excited because I just looooove Okidoki :)

Meredith rides in Prestige (I believe she gets paid in addition to getting free saddles to use though), others ride in Antares or Devoucoux...

Of course top riders get sponsored, but since they would get free saddles from any brand, they still get to pick which brand they ride in.... and even though they could pick the most expensive ones like Hermes, Tad Coffin or Butet, that almost never happens!

Amandine

About Time
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:12 PM
I hear the Arc De Triomphe brand is now carrying top of the line saddles that are very comparable to the top brands but a bit less expensive. I have seen them in person and ridden in them and they are gorgeous and feel great. I think most people know and love their bridles but are unaware of their saddles.

who22
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:09 AM
Jennifer Alfano uses Antares.

tBHj
Dec. 1, 2009, 02:05 AM
Meredith rides in Prestige (I believe she gets paid in addition to getting free saddles to use though), others ride in Antares or Devoucoux..

You'd have to pay me to ride in a Prestige too.

Ozone
Dec. 1, 2009, 09:35 AM
Curious, Does Passoa ride in one of his saddles? I am thinking not because whom would want to ride GP in that saddle ? ;) (The newer ones)

Does Nona ride in her saddle? I don't recall ever seeing the back of her saddle with a white signature strip LOL :)

Plumcreek
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:43 AM
Even my Big R, regionally well known trainer would not ride in my saddle (a nice and comfortable one), that was non-negotiable. She had three Hermes, narrow, medium, and wide trees, and at shows I had to warm up my horse riding her Hermes, which felt like sitting on a pile of rocks.

RugBug
Dec. 1, 2009, 04:50 PM
Edited out quoted portion...

Wow...that is in poor taste. Sorry, but as a rep, you shouldn't slam another brand. It's tacky.

headsupheelsdown
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:29 AM
I agree... very tacky, if you are a rep, sing the praises of your saddle without taking potshots at the competition. I am pretty sure CWD would not approve if they saw your comment.

I am sure that some of the pros still use their Steubbens. Steubben has been quietly making fantastic reasonably priced saddles for a long long long time and are a traditional choice. I am suprised no one has mentioned them.

In regards to Counties... Not that they are not nice saddles as they seem to be from comments posted(and truth be told I haven't ridden in one), but IMO, I am suspicious of all the hype about Counties as I have heard that for every 10 County saddles sold the reps get a free one, I have heard. They then sell them cheap to students or friends or on e-bay if they don't want to keep them. Makes me wonder if they are just pushing them in every situation to reach a goal to get a saddle. JMHO. FYI...I would be interested to know if the County sell 10 get one free deal is NOT true.

MILOUTE55
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:51 PM
I agree... very tacky, if you are a rep, sing the praises of your saddle without taking potshots at the competition. I am pretty sure CWD would not approve if they saw your comment.

I'm not a rep, I work in the office.
Yes I happen to have a job and an opinion. It didn't seem such a big deal to me, but I do see why it sounded "tacky" and inappropriate so I've removed my comment.(well, I did but since it got quoted right after, it's still here... sorry)

I also say good things about other saddles brands sometimes.

RugBug
Dec. 3, 2009, 04:27 PM
I'm not a rep, I work in the office.
Yes I happen to have a job and an opinion. It didn't seem such a big deal to me, but I do see why it sounded "tacky" and inappropriate so I've removed my comment.(well, I did but since it got quoted right after, it's still here... sorry)

Amandine, I edited the quote out of my post. Other's have done me the courtesy in the past when I've said something I regretted in the past that was quoted. ;)

FWIW, having an opinion is great...but when you're so tightly entwined with a saddle manufacturer, rep or not, you do become a "rep" for that line.

Wanderluster
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:28 PM
;) Love my CWD and you guys really were fair when my flaps needed to be replaced. Great customer care and a reasonable price for the quality. Incidentally I have a reputation for going through saddles so the wear was not the first time I have experienced separation to the line where the flap meets the skirt. My flaps were changed to thicker buffalo and now I have a saddle that meets my personal preferences but can be used and used and etc. By design it is a perfect form/function concept. Now I want my free saddle :)

mvp
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:35 PM
I don't think MILOUT55's quote was tacky, but that's because I have seen her post her for a long time.

She says what she thinks, good bad or otherwise.

The day an affiliation with a brand shapes the substance of someone's opinion of products is the day I stop listening to what they have to say.

zbella
Dec. 4, 2009, 02:58 AM
both of my trainers do grand prixs internationaly and they both ride in Devoucouxs and alot of the others ride in pessoas, cwds, and anterase

RugBug
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:14 PM
I don't think MILOUT55's quote was tacky, but that's because I have seen her post her for a long time.

She says what she thinks, good bad or otherwise.

The day an affiliation with a brand shapes the substance of someone's opinion of products is the day I stop listening to what they have to say.

I think Miloute55 should speak her mind, but there is a way to do with with class and tact. Perhaps a "some people like brand XX, but IME it's not for everyone."

To tell you the truth, I'm in the market for an upper end saddle for my new horse. I'm looking at CWD as an option...even after a barnmate had a horrendous experience with them...and that comment sort of turned me off.

toomanyponies
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:05 PM
Interesting about the bad CA experience with CWD - I love them and am getting one to replace my dying Butet and when I mentioned that to a CA friend she also said the service/rep out there was bad.

Wanderluster
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:11 PM
I'm in CA and have very good customer care, I cannot speak for others just tell you my experience.
I think that once you have made the decision to buy a really custom saddle you should be able to know what it is about the fit and balance that works for you. If you ride in different seat depths, forward or flat panels, various blocks and leather preference for softness and durability.
In our area we have reps at the shows so they are available to consult easily. They are willing to come to the barn and have you try any number of saddle types on your horse so the fit is customized to both, or made a bit more generally to fit a wide variety by adding a pad. Incidentally the anatomical pad I use is made by devacoux, so you can go outside a brand to find the tack that works for you. :)

hunter-jumper-rider
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:21 PM
I just bought a CWD (from an Antares before) and cannot say enough great things about their customer service, the product and our local rep in Northern California (I think that the rep people do not like is not working for the company anymore).

Nothing but a huge thumbs up for CWD here!

Anyway BTT.......I think "top professional" riders use CWD, Antares, and Devoucoux.....I don't know anyone that still uses an Hermes saddle..not to say they are not out there, I just have not seen it personally.

TheJenners
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:59 PM
I gotta say, while no pro myself, I recently purchased a Devoucoux. I love the saddle and the customer service was not as bad as I know some have had.

Sunnyhorse
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:12 PM
I love my CWD beyond reason, but I also lucked into an expert fitting by one of the company's execs. Other people I know have had terrible experiences, mostly because of an inexperienced rep. Check around for feedback on the person who will be fitting your saddle before letting that person write up a purchase order or writing CWD a check.

Running Fox
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:30 AM
Rumba and John French rode in a Luc Childeric saddle for their big win in Kentucky in August. John is a long time supporter of the Childeric saddle. He also won his World Champion Hunter Rider championships in 2000 and 2006 in a Childeric saddle.

The Childeric saddle is made in France and distributed in North America by Running Fox. We are very proud of our riders. Individual Gold medalists at the Pan Am games- Jill Henselwood in 2007 and Ian Millar in 1999. The 2008 Olympic team had two of "our" riders- Jill Henselwood and Mac Cone.

Many of the top hunter riders in Canada and the USA enjoy using the Childeric saddles as well. Erynn Ballard, Morgan Thomas, Wayne McLellan are appreciated for their long standing relationship with Running Fox and the Childeric saddle. Pony rider, Meredith Darst was Grand Champion Hunter pony in 2008 and 2009 at Washington International, with multiple big wins at other indoor shows this past fall. She always has a couple of the Childeric pony saddles on the go.

Special thanks to ALL of our riders as they know who they are. We always look forward to meeting others with the same passion for this sport that we have.

Spud&Saf
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:05 PM
I love my Childeric :yes:.

BABYGREENTB
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:59 PM
I love my Childeric :yes:.

me too!

Treasmare2
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:53 PM
I love my Childeric too and it will have to be removed from my cold dead hands....I got it from you Running Fox...about ten years ago now. It fits everything in the barn and my hunter will protest if I put any other saddle on his wide back. Nice to hear they are used by so many important riders. Thanks.

SportsFan46
Dec. 11, 2009, 12:17 PM
Ozone asks what Rodrigo Pessoa ride in. He rides in a Pessoa saddle and always has despite all the rumors. Occasionally he rides in an old Hermes on one horse.
Actually now he is probably using his NEW saddle that he designed. It is really paired down with no rolls ; just a knee pad. He has worked on this himself with the manufacturer and passed samples around to his friends for approval.
It will be available starting in February.
It may be of interest to all reading this that several years ago a VERY well known rider won about $250,000 in 6 weeks on the cheapest, entry level Pessoa model. So I guess you can ride in the GP in a Pessoa.
In fairness I need to tell you that I do have something to do with Pessoa saddles on a commercial level.

Clarence
Dec. 11, 2009, 01:23 PM
Sportsfan46,

Are there any flat seated Pessoa saddles? If so, which model?

Also, what is his newest model called?

Thanks. I used to ride in a Pessoa but prefer the flat seats saddles these days.

SportsFan46
Dec. 11, 2009, 03:08 PM
The really flat seated model was discontinued a few years ago, due to lack of interest.
The new model is not too flat, not too deep, slightly more shallow than the other models.
It will be called the RP Ultimate. It has gotten rave reviews from every one that has ridden in it.

Running Fox
Dec. 17, 2009, 05:56 AM
Clarence your boat has just come in! We just received an old 17" Pessoa, flat flaps with a pencil knee roll on consignment. It has been sitting in a basement for years and came in so clean, no smell, without a bit of "ick", and just needed a little oil. It is one of the old ones with "Made in England" stamped on it. CON023 if you want to see a picture.

sweetpea
Dec. 17, 2009, 07:41 AM
Georgina Bloomberg- County Innovation

Margie Engle Goldstein- County Innovation
Hunter Rider - Scott Hofstetter- Antares for some , hermes on TB's
I think it depended on the string of horses he has,

Laura Pfeiffer- Richard Castelow, Deveocoux-[can't spell!!] Butet

Tommy saddle is Richard Castelow that is a very flat saddle made to his specifics, I sat in the similar model. Maybe if I sat longer I would ride better!!!!!!!

I myself can't beleive as a saddle lover the differences in panel fit, yeah sure we love how they put us BUt if you can ever flip over a Richard Castelow saddle and compare the size of panels that make contact with the horse back OMG!!!

Have had County alos , all I can say if it fits your horse they are the best company I have ever dealt with. Great leather too.

Dressage.For.Life.
Dec. 17, 2009, 12:09 PM
To kitsunegari- What's wrong with Prestige saddles?? :confused:

LARGEBORE
Dec. 19, 2009, 10:16 AM
Ozone asks what Rodrigo Pessoa ride in. He rides in a Pessoa saddle and always has despite all the rumors. Occasionally he rides in an old Hermes on one horse.
Actually now he is probably using his NEW saddle that he designed. It is really paired down with no rolls ; just a knee pad. He has worked on this himself with the manufacturer and passed samples around to his friends for approval.
It will be available starting in February.
It may be of interest to all reading this that several years ago a VERY well known rider won about $250,000 in 6 weeks on the cheapest, entry level Pessoa model. So I guess you can ride in the GP in a Pessoa.
In fairness I need to tell you that I do have something to do with Pessoa saddles on a commercial level.

Thanks Sportsfan for letting us know you are involved with Pessoa. Such a breath of fresh air. So many reps post on this forum trying to be sneaky and make comments that seem to be from the typical rider. Appreciate your honesty and your help as a credible resource for information.

So, now what is with this new saddle that Rodrigo has created? I have heard something about it earlier but not much more on the forums.

forestergirl99
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:41 AM
To kitsunegari- What's wrong with Prestige saddles?? :confused:

Seriously. I have one, and both my horse and I absolutely love it.

sansibar
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:44 AM

I know I also ride in one and I love it! I also Love butets and Childerics.

Yann Candele rides in butets I am pretty sure.

atouchofclass
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:51 AM
The really flat seated model was discontinued a few years ago, due to lack of interest.
The new model is not too flat, not too deep, slightly more shallow than the other models.
It will be called the RP Ultimate. It has gotten rave reviews from every one that has ridden in it.

I have be reading that top riders are paid to ride in the brands that they ride in. Is that also true of Pessoa ?

SnicklefritzG
Oct. 23, 2010, 12:02 AM
I hear the Arc De Triomphe brand is now carrying top of the line saddles that are very comparable to the top brands but a bit less expensive. I have seen them in person and ridden in them and they are gorgeous and feel great. I think most people know and love their bridles but are unaware of their saddles.

+100 !!

Jean-Pierre from ADT visited my barn today and brought about 8 saddles with him for me to try during a lesson. I found the saddles to be extremely well balanced and comfortable. Fortunately fit both the horse and myself. These saddles are very well made and are a work of art.

There are numerous flap, seat, panel and leather options that can be combined to suit the individual horse and rider. As a shorter person who has trouble finding anything that fits, I was pleasantly surprised to discover how well the ADT saddles worked for both me and the horses I ride.

One thing I found very interesting is that the "KB" block which is integrated with the knee pad worked MUCH better for me than the knee roll that is sewn onto the panel.

I think I'll be able to find a great saddle at a price that is more affordable than trying to achieve the same with Butet, Devoucoux or Antares, etc.

Underdog
Oct. 23, 2010, 12:45 AM
Just wanted to add that I just bought a 2002 used Devx.
Not sure if the year makes a difference with the manufacturing going on then.......
But my god. I am 49. today Oct 23rd.
I have to think about what makes me feel confident and safe.
I had no idea a saddle would make such a difference. (Buffalo/Barrititz)

The *Divo* does for me. Fit's my horse which is #1. Fits me even better, which is secondary. I love it.

doublesstable
Oct. 23, 2010, 01:58 AM
Hunter and Equ riders at a BNT that is sponsorded; CWD and Devoucouxs.

I think the best way to find a saddle that works for you is to ride in others saddles (like your trainers etc) to see what feels right.

SelleFrancais09
Oct. 23, 2010, 05:20 AM

i think it's to each his own...I have ridden in many Prestiges and liked some and not liked others. I am currently working on getting a CWD because I bought my TC brand new in 05 when they were really the "in thing", and sure it was great when I was doing jumpers and 15 yrs old (6 yrs ago), but I grew and I feel like it makes me perch on my hunter (not good when he always jumps HARD). Besides, it's too small for me. I can't comment on any other brands... but the TC brand new was sooo soft, no breaking in required. We dealt directly with Tad and had it semi-custom...it's so comfortable, just not right for me right now. He is such a nice guy to deal with; you can call him up anytime and he'll answer questions for you and is such a gentleman. That's all the experience I have with high end saddles.

kimball1
Oct. 23, 2010, 07:50 AM
The other reason you wind up with "everyone" in a barn riding in one particular saddle is that is what they are exposed to. My trainer rides in CWD. I rode in her saddle one day, loved it and bought one. Needed a new one for a new horse, so I sold my old one in the barn. We have kids grow out of them and they sell them, very often in the barn to a new horse owner or lesson person. I think almost 100% of the people who show with my trainer now ride in CWD. The rep is at our barn at least once a month so it makes it easy to try them. I thought about trying some different brands when I needed my new saddle but the rep was there, had saddles to try, and I had a new one in six weeks. I love my CWD, but part of it was convenience.

theinstigator
Oct. 23, 2010, 08:13 AM
I love my Childeric M so much that I've been trying to track down the person I sold my very first one to years ago to see if she still has it and would be interested in selling it back to me :)

I also have an older Stackhouse that I like to school the babies in, and despite it's age and lack of care it received before I got it, it's pretty comfy.

I used to have a Devocoux (circa mid 90's) that I liked as well, but I didn't like the ones I tried over the last few years.

I secretly miss my first two saddles I ever had....the original Crosby Hampton Classic (that was THE saddle to have when I was a kid) and an old Pessoa A/O.

Anyplace Farm
Oct. 23, 2010, 09:11 AM
I have be reading that top riders are paid to ride in the brands that they ride in. Is that also true of Pessoa ?
I don't know about these days but back when Pessoa first started making saddles, Nelson gave my husband at the time two to ride in and three to sell. They sold right away. This was about 1986-87.

ivy62
Oct. 23, 2010, 01:09 PM
When I went looking at saddles for my other horse I took templates of his back to Rolex! I sat in everything for $500 - $5,000! Boy, was my butt confused but the templates did not lie. So many of them I liked but didn't work for my horse. I did find one that was close so we sent the templates back to Va and they checked to see if they had one better then at the show. While I waited, I had County, Antares and Devoucoux out to see my horse. All said oh, must be custom.. I had a problem with that.. So I waited for this "other" saddle to show up. Well, It did and was almost perfect from the moment we put it on his back! It was a L'Apogee...we love it. Unfortuantely, he has been retired now due to injury but then I got a new horse. Completely different but for some reason the saddle is very close to fitting. He needs to add some weight and a better top line and then it will work better. So for now we use the shims in the correction pad and off we go....The saddle has worked well for us and the service was wonderful...

Ray
Oct. 23, 2010, 07:04 PM
I have a Tad Coffin, love it. Just want to encourage y'all to check out the TC2, its got a deeper seat and all new engineering, really impressive. My trainer and SO each bought new thing year and are very very happy

JustABay
Oct. 24, 2010, 12:39 AM
But I love my Childeric. I will never buy another brand ever again.
I tried Prestige, Delgrange, Antares and Devocoux, and everything in between, and the Childeric was the magic fit:)

rockfordbuckeye
Oct. 24, 2010, 01:27 PM
George Morris rides in the Butet Premium. In his PH series you can recognize it by the saddle flap. He's a sponsor....so I would assume he's being paid to ride in it.

Carol Ames
Oct. 24, 2010, 08:44 PM
Jolicoeur (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=AYW&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&&sa=X&ei=ZtLETKTNL4W0lQfnkYgD&ved=0CBsQBSgA&q=Jolicoeur&spell=1) ;) has become quite popular now:yes:

juststartingout
Oct. 24, 2010, 09:30 PM
Stackhouse is a very eventer-ish brand. Gaining popularity with the tall male jumper riders though.

Stackhouse has made close contact hunter/jumper saddles for a long time (a number of H/J trainers have older Stackhouses - as much as 20 years old and still in good shape)

JumpinBean17
Oct. 24, 2010, 09:36 PM

I am sure that some of the pros still use their Steubbens. Steubben has been quietly making fantastic reasonably priced saddles for a long long long time and are a traditional choice. I am suprised no one has mentioned them.

In regards to Counties... Not that they are not nice saddles as they seem to be from comments posted(and truth be told I haven't ridden in one), but IMO, I am suspicious of all the hype about Counties as I have heard that for every 10 County saddles sold the reps get a free one, I have heard. They then sell them cheap to students or friends or on e-bay if they don't want to keep them. Makes me wonder if they are just pushing them in every situation to reach a goal to get a saddle. JMHO. FYI...I would be interested to know if the County sell 10 get one free deal is NOT true.

I actually applied to become a rep, and got all the low-down. No free saddles, only a good discount (as is usual when working retail) and County reps are not allowed to sell their saddles on EBAY or anywhere else besides back through County- its the companies way of making sure they dont just buy with their discount and then sell for a profit. They also check how many you purchase to make sure you are not supplying friends and what not.

JumpinBean17
Oct. 24, 2010, 09:45 PM
the 10 saddle thing I believe comes from the trainer program. If you are some for of a sponsored trainer if you get 10 other people to buy a County then the saddle that you bought is reimbursed.

Wanderluster
Oct. 24, 2010, 10:07 PM
to be fair I have riders that own CWD, Antares, Devacoux, Pessoa, Hermes and Shleese (sp) saddles. I do not discriminate between brands but do feel a difference in balance and performance on individual horses.
If a horse has been fitted for a saddle I try to ride in that equipment, some brands are better (for me ) to find the center of balance. I recommend a few different saddle makers when a student is buying "off the rack" used because they generally perform to a higher standard and most of those are custom saddles.

SportsFan46
Oct. 25, 2010, 01:00 PM
I realized that there were some unanswered Pessoa questions on this forum, most notably about the new RP Ultimate.
The new saddle is out and about; 2 models one with knee rolls and thigh block and the other without these but with a knee pad slightly thicker at the front of the saddle.
There are test saddles available if you ask your local store.

sa11yb
Oct. 25, 2010, 03:18 PM
Just want to put a plug in for Runningfox.

Bought a saddle from them a few years ago, nice selection, nice prices, and no issues with having it shipped from Canada to the U.S. and making payment.

onlyleftsocks
Oct. 25, 2010, 11:33 PM
I love my DelGrange.

imagdrider
Oct. 27, 2010, 03:54 AM
Bruno Del Grange

Summit Springs Farm
Oct. 28, 2010, 10:49 AM
I have a devoucoux and it seems to be wearing alittle too quickly . But other than that its great.

TatteredDaydreamer
Oct. 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
I really, really, really like my Ashland. Fits almost everything I put it on fairly well and has held up very well over the last 10ish years.

SportsFan46
Oct. 28, 2010, 08:58 PM
To answer about rider's being paid to ride in Pessoa saddles:

There are riders that sponsored by the distributor of Pessoa saddles, English Riding Supply. Of course for the use of their name and image, they receive product. There has never been a rider paid to ride in a Pessoa. All riders that are sponsored as such ride in Pessoa saddles all the time; not just when we are looking!

bazinga
Oct. 29, 2010, 12:40 AM
I have a childeric model M and a prestige (I want to say it is the hunter model because it has no white stripe on the back), I love them both!

My coach rides in a childeric, and a lot of people around here do also. Only recently (in the past few years) other saddles have started to become VERY popular (from what I noticed any ways).

I used to have a pessoa a/o it was pretty good, only real problem I had was that it was falling apart at the seams within two years of having it, so I sold it. It held its value quite well though.

Spartacus
Nov. 22, 2010, 07:54 PM
I've owned several antares, have ridden a lot in Beval, hermes, Crosby, et al. I like my County better than any saddle I've ridden in before. It fits my horse beautifully, and I was able to have the flocking adjusted as he buffed up and evened out. You've got so many choices of leathers and flaps and knee rolls and whatever else (if you order one), it's sort of mesmerizing. I got mine through Tack Trader, I think, if I remember right. It's an 07 and came to me used. I plan to keep it forever, just fixing the leather bits as they wear out.

Chic Hunter
Nov. 22, 2010, 08:49 PM
:):)I am certain people wih coniderable riding talent would "saddle" with a saddle fitter. I have experienced a lot of honesty with BNT's not claiming to have the expertise of a qualified saddle fitter and have found this to be true. I have had several trainers look at trial saddles on my horses only to be horribly incorrect. I don't come close to have the knowledge to judge a perfect fitting saddle.
As far as the more famous riders I am sure no matter what the saddle brand. they would be fitted to each of their mounts. I would imagins all of the more upscale ones are made with the very best quality and craftsmanship. It is curious as to how they chose what they ride in........:)

I ride my ISH in a Albion and my TB in a Hermes with a saddlemakers proper balancing and flocking. With proper fitting they certainly ride with a WOW factor!

supersly
Nov. 23, 2010, 09:40 AM
My butt LOVES my Butet :) I have an old 1997 deep seat and it fits nearly every horse i ride in. My other favorite saddle would have to be the Tad Coffin A5, i ride in it when i ride my horse because it fits him better than the Butet and he goes a better. I have been in a Pessoa, County, Antares, Beval, Bates, and many more and those two are by far my favorites.

luvs2ridewbs
Nov. 23, 2010, 12:30 PM
Love love my pjs!

Pat Ness
Nov. 23, 2010, 02:14 PM
Anyone know what the final 4 rode in at WEG? Did they use their own saddle on all of the horses? Did they have a variety of pads?

Thanks in advance.

Pirateer
Nov. 23, 2010, 02:35 PM
I hate my Antares.
But since I'm not currently riding and its only taking up space in my garage, I will keep it around.

july
Nov. 23, 2010, 04:30 PM
Anyone know what the final 4 rode in at WEG? Did they use their own saddle on all of the horses? Did they have a variety of pads?

Thanks in advance.

They rode each horse in their own saddles, i.e. Pessoa rode in his saddle on each horse, they also used their own sheep underneath the saddles.

Regarding selling 10 saddles and then getting a free one - that is not THAT great a deal, i mean really that's getting 10% commission on each saddle sale, which is fairly average in the horse industry for selling high end items like horses, but for retail and smaller priced items that is actually low (i'd think).

I have ridden in Butet most of my professional life, but Bruno Delgrange (himself!) just came out to my stable and I rode in them and LOVED them, so I'm taking two from him =). And already another girl from my barn has ordered one...

airbourne1
Nov. 25, 2010, 09:33 PM
I currently ride in an Antares, but I don't love it. I sat in the Delgrange Virtose at the Royal, and loved it. What an incredible saddle. I am in the process of ordering one now, but can't decide between the cut away flap, or the regular flap. Any suggestions?

lucyeq
Nov. 28, 2010, 01:57 PM
My butt LOVES my Butet :).

I agree! I love my Butet. I can't stand Tad Coffins, but some people love them. There just isn't enough padding for me. I had a Crosby before, but it doesn't even come close to my Butet in comfort (completely personal preference). It also fits every horse I've riddden pretty well.

headsupheelsdown
Dec. 1, 2010, 08:13 AM
the 10 saddle thing I believe comes from the trainer program. If you are some for of a sponsored trainer if you get 10 other people to buy a County then the saddle that you bought is reimbursed.

Thank you! That is the info I have been looking for... I really appreciate it! Explains something that I have been wondering about!

monalisa
Dec. 1, 2010, 09:25 AM
I love my Butets, by far, the most comfortable saddle I have ridden in. But must admit that I have not shopped for saddles for years, and am intrigued by all the brands out there now. Would love to sit in a CWD. Where do you find these?

Sunny's Mom
Dec. 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
I'm a very mediocre rider and I love my butet - it puts me in the right spot and helps me ride better. Unless you are a BNT, you should ride in the saddle that fits you best!

RugBug
Dec. 1, 2010, 03:10 PM
I currently ride in an Antares, but I don't love it. I sat in the Delgrange Virtose at the Royal, and loved it. What an incredible saddle. I am in the process of ordering one now, but can't decide between the cut away flap, or the regular flap. Any suggestions?

My trainer has a cut-away, I have the regular. There isn't a ton of difference, IMO. I was going to go with a cut away, but after seeing my trainers when it came in, (we tried saddles at the same time, but my financing wasn't in place) the difference wasn't signficant enough for me to want to go that direction. There as maybe an inch difference in flap length. The regular flap wasn't long, so....

FWIW...I LOVE my Delgrange