PDA

View Full Version : Tick control ideas for farm dogs (with cat around too)

Grasshopper
Nov. 28, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hi all, I did a bit of searching, and will certainly talk to our vet, but need ideas on repelling and killing ticks for our 2 GSDs. Our farmette is unfenced on part of one side, and the absentee neighbors have horrible overgrowth of weeds, etc. that the dogs sometimes wander around in. Recently they've been picking up huge numbers of ticks doing that. One of our dogs gets skin irritation from Frontline, which also didn't seem to work wonderfully, so would like other ideas. We do have a barn cat as well, so I know the K9 Advantix is taboo, although it appears to be quite effective. :sigh:

Side note--from lots of personal experience, those little tick twister removal tools are worth far more than their weight in gold!

Invite
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:00 AM
They are some of the most obnoxious "domestic poultry" out there, but they take care of tons of ticks!!!

I have cats, but I use K9Advantix. It was explained to me as "your cat isn't lying on top of your dogs or snuggling with the, so you aren't going to have a problem." I *believe* the big danger is if a person puts K9Advantix ON the cat. I use Advantage on my cats. This year, I got 1 tick on 1 dog.

When there were lots of Guinea Hens, we would rarely find a tick on any animal or person. As the flock died off (they were very old) ticks became more prevalent.

jaimebaker
Nov. 28, 2009, 01:14 PM
We Frontlined all of our dogs this summer and it didn't do JACK. After buying the third round from the vet and telling them of the problem they said, 'Yeah, it's not really working this year due to the amount of ticks we've had'. We'll take our refund thanks.

So the only thing that even made a remote DENT in the tick problem on our farm dogs (whom two run the whole 140 acres) was to start adding Brewers Yeast tablets to their food. I added 2-3 to their food once a day for dogs anywhere from 35-90 lbs. It didn't keep all of them off but I noticed a huge difference within just a couple of days. Helluva lot cheaper than the dang flea and tick products that just did NOT work this year:mad:

IfWishesWereHorses
Nov. 28, 2009, 04:37 PM
advantix is fine as long as you dont put it on the cat. Putting it on the dog will be fine ;-)

Im in NZ and we have major tick issues. We have these tags that are used on Deer to repel ticks. They are literally a plastic tag impregnated with anti tic stuff...we hang them on the horses halter/rugs and it does a great job. Ive yet to put one on my dog, but certainly plan to when the ticks start coming out! Dont know if you can get them in the US but they work a treat.

LauraKY
Nov. 28, 2009, 08:03 PM
Preventic collars. Have to buy them from the vet. We had such a horrible problem with ticks in Maryland (and we all have Lyme disease now, thank you very much you nasty little critters, that the vet recommended Frontline and Preventic collars. Worked great except for my cocker with a seizure disorder (again, thank you Lyme disease). She can only have regular Frontline, not the plus and not the collar.

Horsegal984
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:12 AM
K9 Advantix (and similar products) are fine to use if you have cats. Like another poster said, the problem lies in the wet product coming into contact with the cat, either through direct application or from the cat grooming the dog and licking it off. Within 3-5 hours after application the chemical portion of the product is absorbed and no longe a risk to the cats. So the best reccomendation is to put it on the dogs and seperate them from the cats for a few hours, which in my case we do by locking the cats out of the bedroom for the night and putting it on before bed.

Preventic collars work well also, but the trick is to make sure you have it tight enough. It needs contact with the skin, not just the hair. Most often we see people who complain it's not working and they come in with it hanging around the dogs neck. Also, it's an amitraz based product, so it's not safe to use on cats either, but like the topicals, just don't put it on your cat. ;) Mostly with those sort of warnings are for those members of the general population with a lack of common sense, similar to the ones on your hair dryer about not using it in the shower. ;)

Katherine
Vet Tech