PDA

View Full Version : Exercising the unmotivated cat

katie+tru
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:10 PM
One of our housecat, Eddie (female) needs to lose atleast 2 pounds. At last weigh-in at the vet, she was 12 pounds, and she said she needed to be at 10.That's was going fine. Eddie was actually really excited about playing for about 2 weeks there.

Then, very long story short, she started having these terrible episodes that eventually landed her the hospital for 2 days last week. She has some sort of seizure disorders and is now medicated for it. She hasn't had any episodes since. However, she's definitely put on weight from all the laying around while recovering.

I tried playing with her tonight with her previously loved feathers-on-a-stick toy. She just sat there like old, fat, lazy Ed. I ended up chasing her around the whole floor at a waddling jog for 5 minutes just to get her to move.

Now, sure, I bet we could get her to drop 2 or 3 pounds by antagonizing her like that. She wasn't scared... just probably thought I was crazy. I'd like her to enjoy playing like she was before her seizures. Any ideas?

She's indoor only, by the way, and does not take well to a leash.

LegalEagle
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:30 PM
Have you tried a laser pointer? Some animals go nuts for them and will chase them all around.

Come Shine
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:45 PM
Ditto the lazer pointer. However, in people, sometimes weight gain is a side effect of seizure medication. Does your vet have any suggestions?

sk_pacer
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:16 PM
What are you feeding?? Get rid of dry food if possible and make the main diet tinned food - they seem to do better and keep a lower body weight on that. Otherwise, just keep trying to entice her to play

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:25 PM
Lazer made my kitty's eyes cross for 3 hours past usage, so they arent for everyone. I'll PM you my food suggestion, worked wonders for my cat

Beethoven
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:35 PM
Lazer made my kitty's eyes cross for 3 hours past usage, so they arent for everyone. I'll PM you my food suggestion, worked wonders for my cat

I would love a food suggestion as well. My big boy is 21 lbs now!!:eek::eek: He has asthma so is on predniose which does not help! He needs to loose weight and only eats 1/4 cup am and pm!

SLW
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:45 PM
When you find the magic bullet of exercising cats please share it here!! I have a Chunk-a-lena who clocks in at 12# and she is veeery small framed. At age 5 she is a candidate for all sorts of short life expectancy problems. :(

Anyway, my very smart daughter sent me this link: http://www.catinfo.org/ I double checked it with a SA vet I use and he said it was legit. He said in the never ending quest to adapt, in the last 70 years learned to live off carbs (dry food) instead of fresh meat. The caution is kitties are prone to hypokalima so the change must be gradual and using a high protien diet does set up possible new problems. I have yet to get Chunk-a-lena on the plan but I will. :)

McVillesMom
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:17 AM
Depending on the medication she is taking, she may perk back up in a week or so. Some anti-seizure medications (phenobarbital for one) cause transient sedation for the first 1 to 2 weeks until the animal adjusts.

bird4416
Nov. 28, 2009, 07:59 AM
High quality protein and low to no carbs is best for a cat. Sometimes its hard to get the cat to agree if they have been eating high carb kibble all their life. I have a chunky cat that just refuses to eat anything but her kibble. I encourage her to go for walks with me around the farm. I also got a kitten. This makes her exercise as he drives her crazy trying to play so she either plays with him or runs away.

Zu Zu
Nov. 28, 2009, 09:10 AM
I use an old Brook Brothers neck tie to exercise my "Big" girls ~ dragging it along behind me as I walk through the house. We all walk around & around and around ~ followed by having them jump up on a low chair trying to catch it. Just a suggestion - the "wideness " of the tie works better for mine to grab than a laser or a feather on a stick.

Moderator 1
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:58 AM
Per the sticky at the top of the forum, we're trying to limit the cat/dog threads to those more specifically related to farm life, and we just closed our Thanksgiving OT forum yesterday, so we're going to have to close the thread.

Good luck to everyone with their lazy felines!
Mod 1