PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wanting to event- need suggestions advice etc

greeneyelioness
Nov. 27, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hi All
Every since I was little I have wanted to Event and now I am going to start training with someone so that I can. However, I am new to Eventing and would like some advice/suggestions about it, generally speaking. I rode Jumpers most of my riding life but nothing major to speak of. Now that I am in my mid 30's I want to make my dreams happen so any advice about it would be great. What should I expect to pay now for low level events? Please tell me any thing and everything, good and bad but please be aware that this has always been my dream so be kind.
Thanks!

asterix
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:20 PM
I don't think we need to "be kind" -- there are TONS of us who started eventing in our 30s or later who are now having a total blast at a whole variety of levels.

Get a good trainer, find a horse to lease or borrow, get out and groom for someone at an event and go volunteer a couple of times.
You'll be hooked. It's a blast, it's a very friendly sport, and it is addictive.

For lower level events, you could probably expect to pay anywhere from 80 bucks for an unrecognized event to 150+ for a recognized event, but if you have never evented before, you can happily entertain yourself learning the ropes for a while before getting to the point where you are ready to fork over for entry fees.

have fun!!!

The only "gear" you will really need starting out is an approved helmet that fits, a medical armband (available for 10 bucks or so from Bit of Britain or Dover; you can print out the form itself from www.useventing.com), and a safety vest for going xc. This last thing is best tried on in person to get the fit right before buying (just like a helmet, really). Certainly you can borrow one for a while from a barnmate your size.

CookiePony
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:38 PM
Volunteer! Look at useventing.com for the calendar, find an event near you, and call/email the organizer or volunteer coordinator. There are lots of jobs for people to do, even if you have not evented before.

ksbadger
Nov. 28, 2009, 11:59 PM
Lioness,
I can only second the "Volunteer" advice - you'll learn a lot. I would also contact your Area's Adult Rider Coordinator - they often can point you to a good, basic clinic and you can also participate in some of the AR activities.

You might want to state whereabouts you're riding - several of the posters here have great local knowledge of different parts of the country.

wildlifer
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:29 AM
(1) Definitely volunteer at a local event. No previous experience needed. I try to get out and volunteer as often as I can and I always learn something new.

(2) Join your area Adult Riders group (you can find them on useventing.com). My AR folks have been an invaluable resource as I am getting to know the sport and the people in it and they are a blast! They can answer any questions you have.

(3) Show up with a smile and ask questions. For the most part, eventing is an open, friendly, welcoming world.

Kairoshorses
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:58 PM
I agree re: volunteering, joining Adult Riders, and, if you can, finding a good trainer who's done eventing/worked with eventers. Also--read everything you can get your hands on. Jimmy Wofford is my hero, so I'd start with his book, Training the Three-Day Event Horse and Rider. GREAT stuff there.

Eventers are THE best folks in the world!!

And WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE! I have dreamed of doing eventing since I was 9. I didn't start until about age 44, after about 4-5 years of doing hunter/jumpers. It's truly more fun than an adult should be allowed to have! :winkgrin:

drkfish
Nov. 30, 2009, 01:12 PM
Good for you and congratulations. I started eventing in the past 2 years (I am in my 40's) after reentering the riding world a few years ago in dressage. I had showed AQHA extensively as a youth and had always wanted to jump. You should be ahead of the game as you already have a solid jumping background. Here is what has worked for me in no specific order.

1. Find a good trainer who actively goes to events and hopefully has some experienced horses you can learn on.

2. Try to go to as many local events as you can before you make the jump to USEA sanctioned events-although many are now offering Intro. levels divisions. Entry fees at local events can be as low as $50 or so, but you really want a trainer/coach there with you (or at least an experienced eventing friend) so you need to figure that cost in as well.

3. Make sure you take regular (weekly/biweekly) lessons in both dressage and jumping to hone your skills.

4. Lots of X-C schooling before your first event-don't forget your safety vest

Good luck and enjoy:)

scubed
Nov. 30, 2009, 02:28 PM
Ditto much of the other info. Keep an eye here for the introduction to eventing clinics. Have a blast! I evented as a teen and then didn't event for 16 years (was still riding). Was thrilled to get back to it and did my first preliminary at age 37.

Adult rider contact information: http://useventing.com/aboutus.php?section=areas

Intro to eventing clinic information: http://www.useventing.com/education.php?section=Intro

Fancy That
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:05 PM
ditto what everyone else said.

That being said - I got into Eventing a few years ago and have YET to do a real sanctioned/recognized event.

Why? Because there is so much fun to be had at the unrecognized/schooling events I have around me! :)

They are much more low-key and super easy on the budget.

I love Hunter Derbies and Hunter Paces to also hone the "eventing skills" and get some good XC stuff under your belt