PDA

View Full Version : The cheap Tractor supply garage shelter

Dinahmare
Nov. 27, 2009, 07:40 PM
DH is so happy to have gotten one of these today. We need a temporary shelter for his new tractor so hopefully it will do that job at least for this winter.

If you have one of these, please give us the benefit of your hindsight. Would you do anything different in terms of setting it up? Any tips you want to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nov. 27, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure which one you bought but I believe the frames are basically the same.
What I wish I would have done when I put mine up:
1. Secure where the pipes slide together with a couple of self tapping screws so the tarp/cover doesn't have to hold the frame together.
2. Attach "each leg" to something that will anchor it to the ground, whether it is a post well planted or concrete with a piece of pipe that the leg will slide over and a bolt attaching them together (I only got around to doing 3 legs.)
3. Put it next to a building to help protect it from the wind.

I didn't do any of these thing and a gust of wind hit mine, it looked like a flying kite then a pretzel when it landed.

bf1
Nov. 28, 2009, 07:35 PM
We lost ours to a windstorm as well. The anchors held just fine - the rest of it did twist - and the zipper broke one one end. But this was an incredible windstorm - upwards of winds in the 60mph. It survived several storms with 40mph.

So I second the option of placing it behind another building or tree line if possible!

foggybok
Nov. 28, 2009, 07:40 PM
We had ours attached to T-posts well sunk into the ground...Our neighbor had his anchored in cement. He found his 300 Feet way... Our took a nice trip around the farm...

This same carport survived 3 foot snow loads and heavy winds last year, but this last storm took it out..... T-posts were bent and pulled out of the ground...

When I was in CA, he had one that survived CA winter storms without a problem...

Tip... anchor well! Not just what they give you in the package.... Even so, if you get a good storm, you might lose it.....

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 28, 2009, 07:55 PM
I only read the first post... did you buy the Garage in a Box?

My uncle is a landscaper and his company uses these to store equipment/materials- he loves them. Just picked up two more at TSC's black friday sale. The only thing he did say is that you do have to make sure you clear the snow off the top if it snows. Otherwise they will collapse if the top becomes too heavy from the snow.

deltawave
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:26 PM
Those wouldn't last a single winter here--WAY too flimsy.

The one we bought (FarmTek) came on pallets on a flatbed truck and just the materials weighed several hundred pounds. I can just about lift one of those Walmart/TSC ones myself. Ours is beefed up (everything is a higher grade of steel and closer together, fabric is way, WAY heavier, all the parts are really, really heavy) to withstand violent wind (it can blow at 30mph for DAYS here in the winter, plus heavy snow) and weather. Four corners are 4x4 lumber, sunk in concrete, and the thing is SOLID. Going on its 3rd winter, not a bit of trouble.

You get what you pay for--if the climate is completely benign, the TSC/cheap-o brand is probably OK.

Susan P
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:05 AM
Are we talking about the metal buildings or covers or the coverall type? I'm thinking the coverall type might be a good protection for hay if I put it against my barn wall. I just need some cover for large bales but I want it to be outside the barn and not inside so I don't have to clean up the mess of used hay. Half of my barn is a run in.

saje
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:37 AM
I've used the TSC coverall type (actually the King Canopy: http://www.kingcanopy.com/product/hc1020pcw15) for years, and they work really really well. I've used them for hay/feed storage, a tack room, and temporary horse shelters.

The key is to place them where there is some sort of a windbreak, and/or something really immovable (like a tree or an existing fence line) to act as part of the anchoring. I also use T-posts at each corner, and I duct tape each and every pipe junction. The tape adds a bit of stability and it makes it MUCH easier to put up in the 1st place!

We never get much snow, but I do have to keep an eye on leaves piling up and then getting rained on, that can stretch the bungees to breaking point.

I put a double layer of pallets in mine to put they hay on, with a tarp in between. Hay stays nice and dry, and I can get a good 200 bales in there.
$250 well spent, in my book

Dinahmare
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for sharing all these experiences. After looking these over and reading the directions we decided that its too late in the season to put it up. We had thought that we would temporarily put it in one spot and then move it in the spring. But, based on the input here, we think we need to carve out a permanent location for it so it will not be broadside to the prevailing wind. This will mean cutting down some trees and bringing in some processed stone as a base. I picked up some of the tubes that can be used to create concrete footings so we are going to put in one in each corner. Maybe we can get some of the trees down this winter and be ready to put the pad in as soon as the weather breaks.

So this means the tractor is going into the barn aisle at night. Hope that works out OK since it takes out half the aise. Got to be better than the winter when the hydrant froze!