PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a quarter sheet for ponies any ideas on the dimensions??

hellerkm
Nov. 27, 2009, 05:54 PM
We are really lacking in the pony cooler, quarter sheet area at our barn ( we never rode ponies only horses) now that the girls have ponies we are collecting some of these things. I would like to try to make a fleece quarter sheet, I can sew quite well.
I would love ideas on what size to make this, I was thinking of measuring the pony from where I put the saddle to the top of her tail and then over her back where I would want it to cover, but I am at home I have a ton of fleece here ( from other projects) and was feeling inspired to start NOW! any help greatly appreciated!

blueskye
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:23 PM
Ponies are easy. I used to just buy tons of those polarfleece lap blankets available at Target and Walmart and the like this time of year. I think they are something like 36" x 48"? They worked well on my little guys between 11.2 and 14 hands depending on how I folded them. I also had a gorgeous custom wool quarter sheet given to me for my ponies after the original owner's husband tossed it in the dryer... whoops!

If you've already got the fleece, then as you already figured out, just measure the pony's back wither to tail and then figure out how long of a drop you want.

Groundwork
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:31 PM
You can measure from the wither to the top of the tail and then from the spine down the belly to get the "drop" a shorter drop would be higher up the belly and be more of a "euro" cut!

hellerkm
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:57 PM
You can measure from the wither to the top of the tail and then from the spine down the belly to get the "drop" a shorter drop would be higher up the belly and be more of a "euro" cut!
I was going to try to taper it like the Euro cut ones I have seen in the catalogs I got started last night so far so good!