PDA

View Full Version : Of Ponytails and Helmets

Perchancetodream
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:08 PM
Just wondering what others think on this. I have seen jumper riders, both in the states and abroad, had long ponytails hanging out of their helmets as they show. Not that common, but can be seen. My first instinct is 'oh how tacky,' but then thinking about it, I thought that perhaps the helmet would fit better that way.

What do you all think? Is it better to have the clean proper look, or at such a height (*most* have been GP riders), be more worried about the best fitting hat? or any other thoughts?

Jolie_
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:26 PM
I hate the look of ponytails and hair flopping all over! However I see the argument that helmets are not made to have hair bunched up under. Personally I think that if you are not going to have it up under then at least braid it so that it is still a clean look and not as distracting.

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:32 PM
Personally I don't like it because it looks sloppy. I think that regardless of what level you ride at you should strive to make a good presentation even in jumpers.

klmck63
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:33 PM
I think it looks nice with a nice short pony tail like this. (http://www.hunterjumpernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/Jill%20Henselwood%20and%20Special%20Ed%20by%20Cans port%20-%20web.jpg)

I would never do it with my own hair as my super long pony tail would just look silly and messy.

In terms of safety- I do know that I go down a whole helmet size when I don't put my hair up, so maybe they do fit better. I'm not sure.

SkipChange
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:57 PM
I HATE people riding with pony tails out of their helmets uggh. Come one it's a show! What's worse is the older teen-early twenty girl that rides the big time jumpers and in 2 loooong braids flopping all over the place.

fatorangehorse
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:06 PM
If you meant showing, I would NEVER! I am just not one of those people who net up every time I get in the saddle . . .

Sorry I didn't read your whole post.

AmandaandTuff
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'd probably braid and tuck it under my jacket.

Wayside
Nov. 27, 2009, 07:18 PM
I hate the look of ponytails and hair flopping all over! However I see the argument that helmets are not made to have hair bunched up under. Personally I think that if you are not going to have it up under then at least braid it so that it is still a clean look and not as distracting.

I agree. I'm a little obsessive about helmet fit, and I won't put extra hair up in mine, but that doesn't mean it needs to be flying all over the place. Personally, I use an extra hairnet (or when my hair was ridiculously long, a square of plain black cloth) to secure everything in a bun at the back of my neck.

Hunter DQ
Nov. 27, 2009, 07:35 PM
Isn't safety part of the reason we put our hair up? I admit that I prefer the look of hunter hair over a pony tail any day, but isn't it dangerous to have hair flopping around? I would imagine that it could easily snag on tack or whatever else in the event of a fall and cause some serious pain.

mroades
Nov. 27, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hate it Hate it Hate it

seeuatx
Nov. 27, 2009, 07:45 PM
In my pony club days we were not allowed to have hair up under the helmet for fit/safety reasons. But, we had to have our hair secured in a braid or hair net. I would put my hair in the hairnet and then put that in a ponytail. Then, I took a second band and flipped the end of the ponytail up under itself and secured it. It always looked like a nice neat bun and stayed in place for just about anything. It is a much nicer alternative to a flopping ponytail, and not nearly as tacky as a show bow.

Perchancetodream
Nov. 27, 2009, 07:50 PM
I am right there with everyone. But I am just trying to figure out if anyone has a reason they do it, or know someone else who does it. All I could think of was that without the hair in the helmet the helmet might fit better. Some people have thick hair and maybe getting a bigger helmet to fit it isn't proper. (I know someone who did get a bigger helmet so she could have dreads.) But with a bunch of hair piled up inside the fit would be off or possibly slide around. I am not defending, just trying to figure out if anyone knows someone who does wear their ponytail outside their helmet and why.

http://www.irishridgedraughts.com/images/rebelPg1g.jpg

spmoonie
Nov. 27, 2009, 07:59 PM
I dont like it. If your hair is so long that it wont fit under your helmet/ isnt able to be wrapped into some form of a bun, you should probably get it cut a little shorter. Especially for riders at the grand prix level; they are clearly passionate about their sport, cutting your hair isnt that much of a sacrifice.

Bogie
Nov. 27, 2009, 08:03 PM
There is very little published research on how putting up hair under equestrian helmets impacts fit and safety.

However, on some of the bicycle sites there are statements along the lines of this one:

"Raising the helmet on the head destabilizes it by moving the sides, that normally keep the helmet steady, up and away from the sides of the head. Combined with the loss of coverage from the helmet perched up higher on the head, this has potential for disaster in a crash, where the helmet must be stable to remain in position and actually be between the head and the hard place upon impact!"

This was specific to beaded or braided hair styles. But it would apply to any way that you wear your hair that keeps the helmet from conforming exactly to your head.

I prefer to wear my helmet so that it is closely fitted to the shape of my head. I personally feel that putting hair up under your helmet could cause problems. I guess if you fit your helmet properly with your hair up it isn't going to make all that much difference.

However, I think there are lots of people out there riding with helmets that don't fit and when you put your hair up under them they still don't fit.

SarahandSam
Nov. 27, 2009, 08:11 PM
I said maybe. At a show, my hair is always up, and for lessons, I generally do the hairnet/helmet thing. However, for just schooling or trail riding or lessons with hot weather in the summer, I wear a plastic schooling helmet that fits me best with my hair down... so I'll often just put it in a ponytail. The helmet itself is a screaming citron green, so I don't figure the lack of a hairnet would be more horrific than the helmet itself is. (:

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Nov. 27, 2009, 08:50 PM
I once saw a charles owen bumper sticker that read "if you think your hairstyle is more important than your head, you're probably right". Truer words never spoken.

Until a company designs a helmet with the purpose of putting hair up inside, I will happily wear mine neatly braided, but hanging out. NO riding helmet fits the way it's intended when hair (particularly thick, long hair) is put up inside of it. Period. While I definitely prefer the look of "hunter hair", it's simply not worth it to me. So many risks involved in riding, I'm not interested in increasing any of them because of a hair style.

That being said, it would be a huge niche to fill if one would design the "hair" helmet!

appychik
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:33 PM
I once saw a charles owen bumper sticker that read "if you think your hairstyle is more important than your head, you're probably right". Truer words never spoken.

Until a company designs a helmet with the purpose of putting hair up inside, I will happily wear mine neatly braided, but hanging out. NO riding helmet fits the way it's intended when hair (particularly thick, long hair) is put up inside of it. Period. While I definitely prefer the look of "hunter hair", it's simply not worth it to me. So many risks involved in riding, I'm not interested in increasing any of them because of a hair style.

That being said, it would be a huge niche to fill if one would design the "hair" helmet!

Ditto. Exactly.

I'm always wearing my hair in a pony tail, but then I ride dressage. For shows, I'll put it in a bun at the nape of my neck. Works fine and looks well for my discipline. Plus, my helmet fits perfectly ;).

indygirl2560
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:34 PM
I think it looks tacky. My first barn insisted that everyone have their hair up in their helmets(even for schooling), so now it's just become habit. I think it looks a lot tidier with hair up vs hair down, and I will always wear my hair up.

Come Shine
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:42 PM
Until a company designs a helmet with the purpose of putting hair up inside, I will happily wear mine neatly braided, but hanging out.

lol! Someone used to make a helmet with a ponytail port about 14 years ago. Anyone remember it?

see u at x
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:40 PM
Isn't the general consensus that using a saddle with too many saddle pads loses stability on the horse? Wouldn't it be the same type of principle with the helmet and having a bunch of hair crammed up there? For riding around at home and at lessons, I just wear my hair in a pony tail. For shows, I do the hairnet and pony tail thing. My hair just isn't cut right or quite long enough to do the hunter hair thing even if I wanted to.

redkat
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:55 PM
Having just done a swan dive off of a horse and onto my head not one week ago, I put "ponytails, yes!" as that is what I was wearing at the time. I'm fine. No damage to my head or neck, fortunately, but I'll have to replace my helmet.

I spent two years fitting motorcycle helmets while I was in college, and the guidance and training that I received from the manufacturers was that an ideal fit always involved feeling the contact with your helmet all the way around. It should not glide over the forehead, but should instead pull the skin up and down. Your helmet should not bobble when shaking your head backwards and forward, or from side to side, as these sorts of bobbles will actually make the helmet larger over time as that will continually compress the padding. Honestly, I tried fitting my helmet with my hair up, and I just couldn't get the secure fit I wanted. So I don't wear my hair up.

Until someone can prove to me though actual science and not just, "I hit my head and I'm fine," that wearing your hair in between your head and your helmet is AS safe as wearing your hair outside of your helmet, I'm not going to do it. Sorry, but I need my head. I use it to make my money to ride with!

I think it's always important to look neat and presentable, but safety, especially at high levels of competition, is incredibly important. When riding is a professional's livelihood, they need to watch their noggin as well. Seeing a rider with a ponytail doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I'm far more likely to be focusing on their position and way of going than I am the rider's hair.

fourmares
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:29 PM
Since so many helmets don't even come in proper sizes any more... just sm, med. and lrg. I think that having you hair up is actually a way to help customize the fit of those helmets. Other than that I don't much care if you have your hair up in your helmet or not, but if you are going to do a pony tail it really should be in a neat bun at the base of your neck. Personally I can't stand the feeling of something flopping around on my back... I can't ride in a hoodie either...

poltroon
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:32 PM
lol! Someone used to make a helmet with a ponytail port about 14 years ago. Anyone remember it?

That was Troxel and some of them still accommodate a small ponytail. My Sierra does.

billiebob
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:57 PM
I voted maybe. My hair, when long, is thick and doesn't fit under my helmet. Getting a larger helmet isn't really an option since my head is huge in the first place. But you can put a hairnet on and secure your hair at the nape of your neck. This is what I do with my hair. It's currently too short to put in a ponytail at the nape of my neck, so I gather the ends in a hairnet and tuck it just under the back of my helmet. It took some practice to get it right.

I would never show without my hair contained. Not even a schooling show. I think it just looks so untidy.

tBHj
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:57 PM
When buying a helmet if you get one to fit with your hair under it.. wouldn't it be no different then if you had thicker hair?

poltroon
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:04 AM
When buying a helmet if you get one to fit with your hair under it.. wouldn't it be no different then if you had thicker hair?

A second layer of hair that points up is going to be more slippery than hair that is attached to your scalp, making it more likely that the helmet will shift.

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:11 AM
As far as safety goes I would say that if the helmet is a good fit and the harness is properly adjusted (key word properly) then the helmet will not slide around with hair up. Its usually a poorly adjusted harness that causes slipping or tipping.

superpony123
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:14 AM
There is very little published research on how putting up hair under equestrian helmets impacts fit and safety.

However, on some of the bicycle sites there are statements along the lines of this one:

"Raising the helmet on the head destabilizes it by moving the sides, that normally keep the helmet steady, up and away from the sides of the head. Combined with the loss of coverage from the helmet perched up higher on the head, this has potential for disaster in a crash, where the helmet must be stable to remain in position and actually be between the head and the hard place upon impact!"

This was specific to beaded or braided hair styles. But it would apply to any way that you wear your hair that keeps the helmet from conforming exactly to your head.

I prefer to wear my helmet so that it is closely fitted to the shape of my head. I personally feel that putting hair up under your helmet could cause problems. I guess if you fit your helmet properly with your hair up it isn't going to make all that much difference.

However, I think there are lots of people out there riding with helmets that don't fit and when you put your hair up under them they still don't fit.

Well, that's BIKES. The difference, though I am not part of the bike world, is that it is traditional for riders to wear their helmets WITH HAIR INSIDE! So, I think the designers at GPA and IRH and all those helmet companies DEFINITELY take that into consideration.

and, even if you have long hair, your hair can be properly put up and a helmet can be properly fitted to be safe. but riding with dreads or anything? well, I'm not quite sure how that would work in the helmet department. :lol: I'd think most riders would never consider dreads!

Hope i don't look like I am attacking you or anything :p just a statement.

Anywho, consider: if you've got a bunch of hair flying all over, I don't care how silky and smooth it is, or how many times a day you brush it: it's pretty easy to catch your hair on just about anything! Ask me how i know ;) but really, you don't want to catch your hair on something when you fall. I used to ride in a pony tail, in the early years. I decided that was a bad idea when i fell off, my hair (long, and yeah, i must brush it a million times a day) got caught on god knows what and ripped a good piece of hair out on the way down. i didn't have any significant bald spot, but I imagine it could've been a lot worse had my ponytail been looser, or something. but it sure as hell HURT! hurt way more than that time i got a hair fracture and pulled a muscle during a fall.

superpony123
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:22 AM
Isn't the general consensus that using a saddle with too many saddle pads loses stability on the horse? Wouldn't it be the same type of principle with the helmet and having a bunch of hair crammed up there? For riding around at home and at lessons, I just wear my hair in a pony tail. For shows, I do the hairnet and pony tail thing. My hair just isn't cut right or quite long enough to do the hunter hair thing even if I wanted to.

Well, saddles ARE actually just like helmets! We fit our saddles to our horses. Sometimes, we buy a saddle and it doesn't fit 100% so we use a corrective pad. But you have to use the right one, or the saddle STILL wont fit, or will fit *worse*

Same goes for helmets, in a way, but the other way around: YOu have your hair that you need to fit the helmet to. You can either fit your helmet to your head without hair in it, OR you can fit it to your head with hair up. your helmet should hardly ever (unless you have super short thin hair) fit BOTH ways. my helmets do not fit without hair up in them. because i buy the appropriate size that fits my head snugly with hair up in hunter hair style. That's what you're kind of supposed to do.

Bogie
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:45 AM
Helmets are helmets. Heads are heads.

You want an equestrian source? Here you go: The Equestrian Federation of Australia states, "Bulky hairstyles and wearing hair ‘up’ may reduce helmet stability." (http://www.efanational.com/?Page=368&MenuID=EFA_Services%2F11755%2F0%2F)

The "tradition" that you refer to was essentially for items of apparel. Earlier generations of equestrian helmets offered no real protection -- so it didn't matter that you put your hair up in them :D. Plus, most "tradition" today is based on foxhunting. There is no hunter hair in the hunt field -- hair needs to be contained by a hair net but it does not need to be up under a helmet. That seems to have originated in the show ring.

I'm glad you personally know those designers at GPA and IRH etc. are designing their helmets so that you can put your hair up in them . . . because there is absolutely NO DATA to support that. I would really like to see comparative data from the helmet manufacturers that would show the safest way to wear a helmet but the manufacturers are notoriously silent.

The data that IS out there about helmet design shows that the "mushroom" shaped helmets with more foam padding protect heads the best but riders don't want to wear them.

Helmet makers have to deal with the fact that riders don't want to wear products that they consider to be unfashionable even if they work better. It's a hard line to walk.

Which equestrian helmets are the safest. (http://equineink.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/which-equestrian-helmets-are-the-safest/)

Really, I think that there has been a tremendous amount of progress in helmet safety and in the fact that riders now wear approved helmets. That's probably 80% of the problem solved. I'm sure that some people have a system for putting up their hair that only minimally impacts helmet safety.

Well, that's BIKES. The difference, though I am not part of the bike world, is that it is traditional for riders to wear their helmets WITH HAIR INSIDE! So, I think the designers at GPA and IRH and all those helmet companies DEFINITELY take that into consideration.

and, even if you have long hair, your hair can be properly put up and a helmet can be properly fitted to be safe. but riding with dreads or anything? well, I'm not quite sure how that would work in the helmet department. :lol: I'd think most riders would never consider dreads!

Hope i don't look like I am attacking you or anything :p just a statement.

Anywho, consider: if you've got a bunch of hair flying all over, I don't care how silky and smooth it is, or how many times a day you brush it: it's pretty easy to catch your hair on just about anything! Ask me how i know ;) but really, you don't want to catch your hair on something when you fall. I used to ride in a pony tail, in the early years. I decided that was a bad idea when i fell off, my hair (long, and yeah, i must brush it a million times a day) got caught on god knows what and ripped a good piece of hair out on the way down. i didn't have any significant bald spot, but I imagine it could've been a lot worse had my ponytail been looser, or something. but it sure as hell HURT! hurt way more than that time i got a hair fracture and pulled a muscle during a fall.

supershorty628
Nov. 28, 2009, 07:28 AM
Personally I don't like it because it looks sloppy. I think that regardless of what level you ride at you should strive to make a good presentation even in jumpers.

I do too. When I went to Ecuador, the U.S. girls were the only ones to have "hunter hair," and we were the only ones with a reputation for being neat and tidy.

jewll27
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:56 AM
I will school with a pony tail only b/c the helmet I have doesnt fit my hair in it right now but I still put my hairnet on out of habit, I much prefer hunter hair and will buy the right size to fit my head WITH my hair up.

Void
Nov. 28, 2009, 04:23 PM
My helmet never shifts when I ride with my hair up, but then again I have very very fine hair and when i bought it I bought it to fit with the head up. My schooling helmet is another story, and I wear a ponytail to school. The dang wind almost blew it off today.

poltroon
Nov. 28, 2009, 05:08 PM
but riding with dreads or anything? well, I'm not quite sure how that would work in the helmet department. :lol: I'd think most riders would never consider dreads!

Here's my rhetorical suggestion: think about that for a while and wonder to yourself, whyever not?

tBHj
Nov. 28, 2009, 05:46 PM
My helmet does not move at all with my hair up. The same brand in one that fits me without my hair up.. it shifts around a lot.

poltroon
Nov. 28, 2009, 06:38 PM
As far as hair potentially affecting fit, the amount of hair and its texture will be a factor. Shoulder length hair in a ponytail flipped up is not going to be a big deal. Waist-length hair coiled up under a helmet certainly would be.

I will agree that I don't like to see a loose ponytail in a big important international class where everything else is polished to the nines. Braid it or put it up.

KateKat
Nov. 29, 2009, 12:18 PM
I solved my problem and just cut all my hair off :)

Madeline
Nov. 29, 2009, 01:41 PM
Helmets are helmets. Heads are heads.

You want an equestrian source? Here you go: The Equestrian Federation of Australia states, "Bulky hairstyles and wearing hair ‘up’ may reduce helmet stability." (http://www.efanational.com/?Page=368&MenuID=EFA_Services%2F11755%2F0%2F)

The "tradition" that you refer to was essentially for items of apparel. Earlier generations of equestrian helmets offered no real protection -- so it didn't matter that you put your hair up in them :D. Plus, most "tradition" today is based on foxhunting. There is no hunter hair in the hunt field -- hair needs to be contained by a hair net but it does not need to be up under a helmet. That seems to have originated in the show ring.

Before approved helmets, hair stuffed up in helmets didn't work. The chinstrap made it all possible.

Fit the helmet to the skull, not the hair. In addition to having a helmet that actually functions to protect your skull, you'll probably fit into a smaller helmet that makes you look less like a mushroom -head.

saje
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:21 PM
I have waist length and very thick hair. At a competition (I'm an eventer) my hair is either tidily done up in a hair net (not stuffed under my helmet) or braided down my back and tucked under my vest for XC.

I'm not a fan of the flapping pony tail, no matter how short.

For mine, I start with two braids, then weave those together (pulling them one through the other) so they hug the base of my skull. A little twist to tuck in the braid ends and tighten everything up, then 2 hair nets over everything. Voila, nice and tidy and my helmet fits properly.

lcw579
Nov. 29, 2009, 04:13 PM
In my pony club days we were not allowed to have hair up under the helmet for fit/safety reasons. But, we had to have our hair secured in a braid or hair net. I would put my hair in the hairnet and then put that in a ponytail. Then, I took a second band and flipped the end of the ponytail up under itself and secured it. It always looked like a nice neat bun and stayed in place for just about anything. It is a much nicer alternative to a flopping ponytail, and not nearly as tacky as a show bow.

Daughter events and we do a version of this. I braid her hair in one long braid and then double it under pushing some up through the original band. Then I add a second band and secure a second hairnet over the whole thing. Makes for a small bun at the back that doesn't come undone and stays neat.

For schooling she just has the ponytail or braid. Helmet just doesn't fit as well when we shove all the hair under it in our feeble attempts at hunter hair.

Trixie
Nov. 29, 2009, 06:15 PM
I was brought up on hunter hair and am so well-accustomed to it, that pony tails just look sloppy to me. Sorry. It's well-ingrained, probably from the trainer who Would Not Be Pleased if you didn't do your hair to her specifications. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Madeline
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately, I don't see that changing any time soon.

All it would take is for George Morris, Linda Allen, and the big eq trainers to understand the improved safety of wearing helmets that fit, with the chinstraps correctly fastened, and with the hair neatly on the outside. Then they could come out en masse in favor of correct helmet use.

The changeover to increased safety would really only take about 10 minutes.

Trixie
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:12 PM
I meant to me, since it's so very well ingrained. I still have nightmares about that particular trainer and it's probably been ten years... :lol:

But MY GOODNESS, we did look nice.

myvanya
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:15 AM
I said no ponytails. I put my hair in a knot (literally) at the base of my neck with a net over it or shows. For schooling at home I wear my hair in a braid or two.

I have two reasons:
1. helmet fit
2. I have long hair and take a medication that makes my hair prone to falling out. If I ride with my hair in a ponytail it gets tangled and matted and more hair falls out( if you pull on it at all or even brush it it can come out) and I don't like that. So really it's becaue I'm vain. :winkgrin:

I know reason number 2 doesn't apply to everyone but, reason number 1 probably does unless you have short hair.

JumpWithPanache
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
I answered no ponytail, the flopping look just seems very sloppy to me. However, I do like the suggestions others have had about tucking a tidy, and hairnetted, braid under their coat or vest. Personally, I bought my helmet to fit with Hunter Hair. My hair is about mid-back length but very thin and baby fine, so there's very little difference between hair up and hair down. The helmet is secure with my hair up, does not slip at all.

wildlifer
Nov. 30, 2009, 02:51 PM
I voted yes because I don't care. I am looking at the horses. I don't give a flying flip what you do with your silly hair.

Dooner
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:01 PM
Up, but with a concerted effort to make sure that my thick hair is cut & styled so that I don't have to go up a size. Thinning shears, layers, flat-irons and smoothing creams are my friend, and make day-to-day styling easier too.

Janet
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:36 PM
Well, that's BIKES. The difference, though I am not part of the bike world, is that it is traditional for riders to wear their helmets WITH HAIR INSIDE! .

Wearing the hair inside the helmet is NOT traditional. It is "currrently fashionable" but NOT traditional.

Look at any show pictures from the 60s, or even the first edition of GM's book

Janet
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:42 PM
There are lots of "neat and tidy" ways of wearing your hair without putting it up under the helmet.

Mukluk
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:04 PM
If it's an issue of style or the best possible brain protection, I'd take the later.

awaywego
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:24 PM
This post is very timely - I spent the weekend looking at new helmets....and I definitely take a much bigger size when I flip my ponytail up inside the helmet. I have thick hair - and when I don't blow it out straight it requires an even BIGGER size to fit under the helmet.

So my thing is - if I buy the helmet to fit the hair up inside...what do I do if I cut my hair short like I've been kinda-sorta thinking about? Helmets aren't cheap! It's not like having your flat length pants and your heel length pants! :lol:

In this case, it would make sense to fit the helmet without hair up....and have a headache until I cut my hair? Ouch.

Ajierene
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:57 PM
I have two helmets, a schooling one and a show one.

when I am replacing the schooling helmet, I go to the tack shop with my hair in a braid and make sure my helmet fits to this, since that is how I wear it schooling.

When I am replacing my show helmet, I put my hair in a french braid, tuck the excess under and fit my helmet to that. Usually I fit is a little tight because for dressage I like my helmet tight and hair up, but for jumping phases, I wear my hair down. Down being, I take my tucked under part of the braid out and let the braid hang down. Sometimes I unbraid the excess and tuck it loose under my helmet - this works as well.

If you are going to fit your hair under your helmet, you need to be aware that a ponytail tucked up puts excess material in one part of the helmet - the back. so essentially you need a helmet longer than your head, but the same width. Helmets don't really come like that.

My hair is thin and by doing a french braid, it makes the dispersal of hair more even, though it is probably still not perfect. Judging by the red mark on my head, I can pretty much guarantee that my helmet will not move if I fall off.

My schooling helmet DOES NOT FIT with a french braid in - which is a good indication of how much the size of a helmet needs to change to accommodate hair. Also, if I let my hair grow to long, it will compromise fit as well.

twobays
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:04 PM
Shoulder length hair in a ponytail flipped up is not going to be a big deal. Waist-length hair coiled up under a helmet certainly would be.

I don't mean to be snarky, but you're really just talking out of your backside. I understand the intuition, but there certainly haven't been any studies or research that have discussed the safety issues with different lengths/thickness of hair. Obviously the more hair there is, the more helmet fit is impacted, but to say that x-length hair is "not a big deal" is a totally unsupported and unsubstantiated remark.

TheOrangeOne
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:34 PM
If someone doesn't want their hair under their hat, that's absolutely a decision they can make. I won't judge them. I will, however, judge if they grow it to an unreasonable length and then let it flap around and get static cling onto their jacket so that it looks like they touched one of those metal balls from middle school science class. It's just sloppy looking. You can braid it, put it up into a bun, tuck it in the jacket, leave the hairnet loose and just shove it all up in there a la 1960, there are tons of options that do not involve hair flying all over.

poltroon
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:53 PM
I don't mean to be snarky, but you're really just talking out of your backside. I understand the intuition, but there certainly haven't been any studies or research that have discussed the safety issues with different lengths/thickness of hair. Obviously the more hair there is, the more helmet fit is impacted, but to say that x-length hair is "not a big deal" is a totally unsupported and unsubstantiated remark.

You're right. I'm just going by my intuition and my experience with hair at different lengths, and judging how my helmet slid, or didn't, with various hairstyles, over the last 30 years. I have very fine hair, btw. When I'm talking about "shoulder length", that means my ponytail is only about three inches long, and thus only impacting maybe at most a fifth of the area where my head and helmet meet.

Here's a tip I learned. When I started out, I did my hair by putting it in a ponytail and flipping it up. Later I learned the trick of using a really large barrette, and putting it in kinda upside down, so that the barrette is curved against my head after it is flipped over. This means that instead of having a painful knob of hair at the back, the barrette spreads the hair across 5 inches, and further, it can fit right below where the padding of my helmet ends, so that it doesn't make a nasty pressure point in my helmet or impact the fit very much.

Madeline
Dec. 1, 2009, 08:09 AM
This post is very timely - I spent the weekend looking at new helmets....and I definitely take a much bigger size when I flip my ponytail up inside the helmet. I have thick hair - and when I don't blow it out straight it requires an even BIGGER size to fit under the helmet.

So my thing is - if I buy the helmet to fit the hair up inside...what do I do if I cut my hair short like I've been kinda-sorta thinking about? Helmets aren't cheap! It's not like having your flat length pants and your heel length pants! :lol:

In this case, it would make sense to fit the helmet without hair up....and have a headache until I cut my hair? Ouch.

There is a third alternative: Buy the helmet that fits your skull and learn how to contain your hair outside. Gains? Need only one helmet. Increased safety. Don't look like so much of a mushroom head. You'll be ahead of the game when the
"fashion" trend of hunter hair disappears...

Equestryn
Dec. 1, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hate it Hate it Hate it

I second this!

CosMonster
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:09 AM
I don't like the ponytail look but I have very thick, curly hair and when it was long it never cooperated with getting under a helmet. So, I voted maybe--I would rather someone have a loose ponytail and a fitting helmet, but there are enough neat ways to contain it that it isn't really necessary.

kookicat
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:27 AM
Mine goes in a pony tail. I actually put my hat on first, then tie my hair up. At an event, I'll do the same, but put it up in a bun out of the way. As for getting it cut, my company frown on very short hairstyles on women, so that's not really an option.

I value my skull more than I do what I look like.

curlybrilliance
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:23 PM
If I didn't put my thick curly hair under my helmet, I'd have to wear a kid's sized helmet! It would also look terrible. So I put up my hair for every ride. I also like the neat and professional look.

RoyalTRider
Dec. 1, 2009, 02:53 PM
I liked to school with my hair (two inches past the shoulders) braided in one braid, then doubled back. It creates a bun at the base of my neck. I have always been a hair net fan for shows.

Now, for polo, I ride with it in a hanging ponytail. Otherwise, with a size L men's team polo and 150 yards away, there would be no telling who was female. :lol:

kellidahorsegirl
Dec. 1, 2009, 03:16 PM
This is someone riding in a Hunter Derby.....
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/kellidahorsegirl/gwc409-263-2530.jpg

See, I'm not a fan of having all MY hair up in my helmet because I have a lot of it, BUT it keeps my ears warm, and the way I do it, the hair is really evenly dispersed over my whole head. Really good fit.

I get it why people would leave their hair out of the helmet, but again.....CONTAIN it. Leaving it loose just looks bad, like the photo above. I'm sure the overall look of the ride would have been MUCH nicer had she contained her hair in some way....because the pair looks like a very capable pair. This was a show....and not a dinky one....make yourself look nice! Would you go to a job interview with sloppy hair when everyone else has french twists and suits on??

BrookdaleBay
Dec. 1, 2009, 06:17 PM
My hair is on the thinner side, so it doesn't effect my helmet fit when I tuck it up, but I only do this is the summer when I don't want my hair sticking to the back of my neck. In the winter I prefer to leave it hanging in a pony tail to keep the cold air from getting under my shirt.

Bogie
Dec. 1, 2009, 06:48 PM
YouTube comes through with a solution!

The hair goes on top of the helmet :lol:.

Safe and Sexy Hair Riding Helmet. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1YCU8KgjO0)

kellidahorsegirl
Dec. 1, 2009, 06:54 PM
Oh dear.....the safe and sexy hair helmet....wowwwwwwwww :lol: