PDA

View Full Version : Convince me that I do NOT need a 3rd dog

glfprncs
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:15 PM
My husband and I live in suburbia. We have two lovely pound puppies, Louie and TC (both male), who get along wonderfully together. They get a walk (by yours truly) every day, rain or shine, for at least an hour. They do spend some time outdoors during the day as well, but in all honesty they are house dogs. They are also our 'babies.'

Anyhow, my husband saw on the local dog shelter website an adorable 4 month old pup who is the SPITTING IMAGE of our Louie. A hound/terrier mix, brindle, white chest, white spatz on his paws, white tip on the tail, and my husband believes that we MUST give this little dude his forever home.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=15004666

I'm not totally against another pet, however, I just think a 3rd dog would be too much, especially since we don't live on land, etc. So, please convince me that a 3rd dog truly would be a LOT of extra work, and that we do not need to go to the shelter tomorrow to bring him home.

annikak
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
Sorry- no can do!:D

sickofcollege
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:20 PM
You DO need a 3rd dog :D

He's sure gonna like getting out of the shelter and cuddling next to you. That makes all the 'work' worth it!

Note: I know what you mean about 'work'. I have 2 large dogs in a tiny apartment. Because of that I take them to the dog park (rain or shine) every single day for at least 2 hours. They deserve it and it makes us all happy!

Bluey
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
Did you read the headline above the picture, did you, did you?

---"This is just one of 321,952 adoptable pets living with shelters or rescue groups and posted on Petfinder! "---

There are millions of dogs out there without homes.
I have been working with our local animal control for some 30+ years and it is a terrible situation, still after all these years without solution.
I have wanted to take home every dog I see, since I was a toddler, for what they tell me.

Now, you and your husband are adults, know what your family is, what works for you, what you have and only you can make the decision if another dog would fit.
If so, why not?
On the other hand, we as adults have to know our limits, unlike a toddler and be sensible about them.

I am sure that, if your husband keeps looking, he can find right now and at any time in the future many dogs that look just like that one, sad to say.

If he really wants another dog and you both think you can do it, go ahead, if nothing else, remember the starfish story, where many are dying on the beach, but to that one you may throw back in the water, you did make a difference.

If this is just a whim, but not a good idea, I would cry over that puppy, hope it finds a home and go on with my life as it is fine right now.

Only you both know what you have on your hand.
We have to know when to hold them and when to fold 'em.

RedMare01
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:39 PM
Sorry...not gonna tell you no. :lol:

Especially when I just got a 3rd cat (and everything is going wonderfully).

Enjoy him!

Caitlin

OverandOnward
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:48 PM
No idea if you should bring in this pup or not ... this is what I personally would consider ...

Just imo - looks are not a decision criteria for a particular new pet. Reasonable expectations of behavior, based on understanding that creatures own personality and genetic heritage, is the criteria I would use. Along with size, lifestyle and the things you've mentioned.

Bringing in a new personality that doesn't work out blocks that creature from having found the home that would have suited better.

Any new living creature will change your household dynamics. For good or for bad - no promises. The image we have of how a new critter will fit in is not always one the new boy or girl can live up to.

If it were me ... I would carefully assess whether this pound pup is likely to fit well behavior-ly and lifestyle-wise, then decide. Perhaps your husband is basing his wants more on these considerations than the dog's color, markings and body shape?

New pet or no, all the best for your household! :)

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:50 PM
H*** no you don't need one more dog, you need 2 or 3 more dogs.

6 big dogs is my limit.

Iron Horse Farm
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:53 PM
H*** no you don't need one more dog, you need 2 or 3 more dogs.

6 big dogs is my limit.

exactly! we are at 6 dogs and 5 cats currenty!

Ransom's Rider
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:54 PM
ok - I'll tell you no! (of course I didn't look at the pictures so it's probably much easier for me!)

I had 2 happy, attached pound puppies for about 6 years and last November decided to add an adorable JR mix puppy. It has been very, very hard! Three is an astronomical leap forward in difficulty! Well, at my house it was. It's hard to get all three in the car, hard to walk three, and one always seems to be left out when it's time to dole out attention.

It doesn't help that one of the older dogs never really took to her. He's just too attached to my other older dog and didn't want a "little sister" so it seems. It's better now, a year later, but they didn't seem to want to play with her like puppies want to play. I ended up taking her to daycare and the dog park to find other puppies to play with, and she's much happier.

Sooo....I guess it depends on how your dogs typically react to puppies. I wouldn't change anything now, obviously, but I wish I would have known this first. It's very difficult. And I live in the city with a backyard, no farm.

EponaRoan
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:55 PM
Puppies are a pita for the first year or two. You'd have to take the puppy out more often, constantly monitor behavior to housebreak and watch items to prevent chewing.

You've got a stable 'pack' of two - adding another dog is going to shake that up.

So there - non enablement. :D

Kaleigh007
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:59 PM
Awww he is adorable..go get him! I have 6.

indygirl2560
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:12 PM
My family started with one. Then a rescue dog fell into our laps. A year after that, my mom got an email from a rescue(which she'd contacted years ago about getting a dog before we got our first one) about a dog in desperate need of a home. It just happened to be my birthday so I insisted we go look and we ended up taking her home that day. Our first dog died of cancer a few years ago and another rescue happened into our lives!

Luckily, we live in suburbia but on almost an acre, so the dogs have plenty of room to run. Three dogs can be a lot, especially if one or more hasn't been completely trained. It's definitely harder dealing with non-potty trained pups vs. relatively trained adult dogs. The cost of care also goes up drastically. Our dogs go through a lot of food, and lately one of the dogs has cost us close to $400 in vet bills for just last month(he had a mysterious puncture wound that had to be xrayed, ultrasounded, and sewn up plus meds.) To tell you the truth, usually with our dogs, trips to the vet are rare besides vaccinations. But we when do have to make the trip it's usually very costly. So definitely think about the fact that emergencies do happen and there's a chance that two dogs can be sick/injured at one time!

Also, you have to make sure the dogs will get along. The dog we most recently rescued(2 yrs ago), attacked our older dog a week after we got him. The older dog can be a major grump and the new dog wanted to play, so when the older dog snapped/threatened him, the new dog decided it was a game and latched on to his neck. We gave him one last chance(although we usually have no tolerance for aggressive dogs) and now the are best buddies and inseparable. So another point of me telling you that is that you have to be prepared to do a lot of training. I've done so much training with the newer rescue dog and he's completely transformed into a new dog. He went from being aggressive on a leash, jumping, no manners to very well behaved, socialized, and a great family dog. It sounds like you'll be dealing with all puppies though and it's easier to get them used to each other when they're all young.

So, do you still want to adopt a 3rd dog?! :lol:

Bluey
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:18 PM
I think two people, two dogs is perfect.:cool:

Now, you may not care for a perfect life.;)

How hard do you want to make your life?:eek:
That will determine if one more dog would fit and if so, hey, you have one picked out already.:D

Perchancetodream
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:39 PM
Can't help. I know all the words against it, but I grew up in 'there's always room for one more' and 'everyone needs a home.' sorry. good luck!

KristiKGC
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:47 PM
It's harder than you might think. There was a huge increase in the work load going from 2 to 3. Now, keep in mind, I live in an apartment with a lab/catahoula mix, a bullmastiff, and the 3rd was a great dane. So it could be his size (or the fact that he's allergic to food, etc) that made the jump seem huge.

However, I will say that while I dream of having a backyard, I don't regret getting the 3rd at all (also a 'rescue' my friend was fostering)

Alagirl
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:49 PM
You don't need a 3rd dog

but you never said nothing about wanting! ;)

You got him yet?