PDA

View Full Version : Dog is overly attached to me

pony4me
Nov. 27, 2009, 08:53 AM
"Stalker" is a four year old German Shorthair Pointer mix. That's my best guess. He wandered onto our farm a couple of years ago. We could not find his owner so he stayed. He is neutered, and is a wonderful dog. However, over the last six months or so, he has become increasingly attached to me. He stays by my side most of the time, though right now he has a chew toy, so he's in bed. Most worriesome is that he has started growling at any other dog that goes near me. That's a problem because we have three other dogs, and I love them all. Stalker has to sleep right next to me; he will sometimes get between me and another person. Lately the bad bahavior seems to be getting worse. If he were a guy, I'd get a restraining order. Any suggestions to help him? I don't want him getting in a fight with any of the other dogs. Sadly, PTS has crossed my mind. Thanks!

Claddagh
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:04 AM
Best advice would be a visit to your vet for a complete physical, including blood work. If his behavior is changing and there have been no changes in your household (new dogs, people, etc.) than there very well could be a physical/medical reason for his *new* behavior.

Please discuss it with your vet and get it investigated. I'd hate for you to lose him (send him to the bridge) :cry: for something that may not be his fault and may be easily corrected medically.

In_
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:07 AM
It is best not to let one's stalkers sleep on one's bed.

My guess is that Stalker does not let the other dogs (or there is not room etc) sleep on the bed. That puts up a hierarchy -with him being level or very close to you, the 'big dog.' Get him off the bed, renew obedience, and stop babying him. When he growls as the other dogs coming close to you, correct him. Treat him like your other dogs - not differently because he 'lost' or was 'abandoned' by his original owner. If he is four now and it was a few years ago, it is unlikely that he has strong nostalgic feelings for that first owner.

Bluey
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:40 AM
Your dog is now a mature individual and asserting his rights, guarding his possessions, that are his house and you.

Not a good situation for a dog to be, because what he thinks is his is not the way the world of humans runs.

Go have him checked physically, just in case, but I would guess that you have a training problem there.

For those upstart dogs, NILIF is a great program, that doesn't hurt anyone and puts them back in their place.

I would rather you go thru a professional, some local trainer your vet may suggest, as you have other dogs and maybe people to consider, so it is not as easy as retraining an only dog, now a newly minted Napoleon wannabee.

NILIF, nothing in life is free, is a true and tried behavior modification program that works great for practically all dogs in the situation you are in
This is one of the best sites for articles in dog training:

http://flyingdogpress.com/

You can google for NILIF, this came up:

http://www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm

One excellent site for advice with all those kinds of problems is:

http://familydog.yuku.com/

JanM
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:21 AM
You've had some great advice here, but I only have to add that you need to stop making it up to him that his previous owner dumped him and correct his behavior, plus I second the no sleeping or lying on the bed or the furniture thing. You certainly named him the right thing, because he certainly is a stalker.

EponaRoan
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:20 PM
Resource guarding. You're the resource. :D

I like the NILF (Nothing In Life is Free) program as a fairly benign method of establishing dominance. He doesn't get to say who 'uses' you - that's up to you to determine.