PDA

View Full Version : Hoarders!

EponaRoan
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:49 AM
So how many of you watch/ed this show with horrified fascination? And how many cleaned up their own houses after watching even if you're a clean freak?

:lol::lol::lol:

It's back on Monday.

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/

If it's not puffy, can I still eat it? :D

strawberry roan
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:12 AM
I have watched one and taped another. Definite horrified fascination!!

sickofcollege
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:15 AM
My grandma suffers from hoarding. It is really sad and hard to deal with. It's a real problem.

caffeinated
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:18 AM
We were watching that the other night... it mostly makes me sad - it's almost like OCD, just in an unusual direction.

My grandmother has this problem - not to the extent on the show, but she has a whole room upstairs that is filled with broken furniture, and a couple other rooms that are just filled with... everything. I'm not sure she ever really throws things away.

But yes, watching does give me the urge to leap up and go into cleaning-rage mode on the house I live in...

JanM
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:29 AM
Every time I watch Messiest Home in the Country I, II, or III on Style I have to clean my clothes closet. The Christian Mission thrift store near me has certainly profitted from my tv habit. If you go to 'Televisionwithoutpity.com", click on 'Forums, then 'Candid Reality', and scroll down to Hoarders you can really see information. There is a woman on the board that has been filmed, and there are Google Earth links and street views of the guy in Semmes, AL (west of Mobile) who had the junkyard on his property. The junkyard street view is horrifying, and my information is that the county had to pass ordnances about his property to settle the problem, and they might let him build a huge privacy fence on all four sides to block the view of his property-don't think that will solve the problem though. And I couldn't believe Patty who had that nice house in Kansas that was filled with trash and rats, lost custody of her kids, and kept 1400 boxes of trash that is stored in two semi trailers. There is losts of updated information about the after math of the show. I can't believe people live like this, and I feel sorry for the neighbors. Remember the second season starts Monday night.

HiddenAcres
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:51 AM
I think it's a brain chemistry disorder related to the same area of the brain that has OCD/Depression problems. I'm pretty bad about saving papers, but not yet fire hazard problems.

One of my friends thinks it's a reaction to Past Lives and/or Mother/Nurturing Issues that has something to do with an enormous sense of loss or deprivation. Like starving to death.

Either way it's an irrational/self destructive problem. I do think it's fascinating and I wish it made me want to clean!

nickers@dawn
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:09 PM
I watched two episodes the other night and it just left me depressed. I feel bad for the hoarders and especially their children.

The one man that annoyed me was the guy who keep saying, "I'm done! I'm shutting down!" while his daughter was trying to reason with him. Getting mad was not helping the situation.

caffeinated
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:12 PM
One of my friends thinks it's a reaction to Past Lives and/or Mother/Nurturing Issues that has something to do with an enormous sense of loss or deprivation. Like starving to death.

Either way it's an irrational/self destructive problem. I do think it's fascinating and I wish it made me want to clean!

Watching that the other day I was almost thinking it's an outgrowth of basic survival mechanisms. We're sort of hard-wired to nest and collect - we're hunter-gatherers at our root, right? I just think these people lack the off-button the rest of us have for the same behavior.