PDA

View Full Version : Kindle? Nook? Ereader? Who has one?

RiddleMeThis
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:06 AM
So I got my Kindle in August and I absolutely LOVE it. I love how easy it is ( to spend $100 a month on books :eek: ) and basically everything about it! So who else has an e reader? What do you like about it? What do you hate about it?

horse-loverz
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:30 AM
Got my daughter a Kindle when she went to Thailand last year so she could meet the weight requirements on her luggage and still have reading material. She loves it.. I am considering getting the nook myself as I am a Barnes and Noble junkie and I like the share option the nook offers. But will look at it in the stores and see how I like it first (nice to be able to try before you buy on that one).

I like that is is easy to read one handed, you can read while eating etc without a book closing on you, easily portable and you are never left finishing a book without having another one to start.

However there is something to be said for reading an actual book, the heft of it, the smell, the cover, the conversation starters when people say.."Oh I've read that..or Oh I read them too" .. But if I continue my buying rate without switching to electronic.. I will be run out of my home with books. :lol::lol:.

Simkie
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:32 AM
I have a kindle! I love it!

I've yet to spend much on reading material because there is so much FREE STUFF offered by Amazon.

Pirateer
Nov. 27, 2009, 04:51 AM
As a real-life Nookseller, I recommend it over the stinky winky Kindle. And the Sony E Reader.

Which one isn't proprietary?
Which one has over 500,000 free ebooks?
Which one has over a MILLION books, newspapers and magazines available for download?

Nook is teh awesome. Although if you don't have an order in now you are looking at mid-January delivery- unless you manage to pick up one of the very limited number available in store.

RiddleMeThis
Nov. 27, 2009, 04:57 AM
As a real-life Nookseller, I recommend it over the stinky winky Kindle. And the Sony E Reader.

Which one isn't proprietary?
Which one has over 500,000 free ebooks?
Which one has over a MILLION books, newspapers and magazines available for download?

Nook is teh awesome. Although if you don't have an order in now you are looking at mid-January delivery- unless you manage to pick up one of the very limited number available in store.
Ya know, when the Nook came out, I was VERY excited. I was ready to sell my Kindle and grab a Nook. :yes:

Until I found out that 9/10 of the books I wanted would cost me EXACTLY the same, if not MORE than buying it in paperback, and more than the Kindle version, AND my member discount does NOT apply. And then I found out that you can apparently only lend the book ONCE, and that the 500k free books are all google books, and project gutenburg books, which you can also easily get on Kindle. I was QUITE disappointed.:no:

Do you know if they are any plans in the works to change that?

ETA:Now going back and rechecking prices on some of the things, it appears that it has been adjusted a bit.

Lady Counselor
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:46 AM
Just got our first Kindle and I love it! It was a gift to my husband. For Christmas, I ordered him a cover from this place, who has awesome leather and pewter works.
www.oberondesign.com

annikak
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:43 AM
I feel pretty strongly about a few things, and the Kindle is one of them. My DH got it for a "you finished and are applying to grad school gift" as a surprise. I was not sure I'd like it, but...omg- I love the darn thing! It is light, easy, and if I ever get around to cleaning off my book shelves, will make my cluttered house so much less cluttered.

I really adore the thing. that cover above is nice....

I am not sure, but may get the light for it, as that is the only problem I have with it.

I also have smartpen- and between the two, my life at school is so much better!

I love it. Really!:winkgrin:

RiddleMeThis
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:10 AM
Just got our first Kindle and I love it! It was a gift to my husband. For Christmas, I ordered him a cover from this place, who has awesome leather and pewter works.
www.oberondesign.com

He will NOT be disappointed. I have an Avenue of Trees cover and its INCREDIBLE.

redkat
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:51 PM
I was thinking about a Kindle or some other e-reader as I spend over an hour on the train each day getting to/from work. I also end up walking almost two miles. Lugging hardcovers is seriously not fun.

I ended up getting an iPod touch instead, and just downloaded the Kindle app. So now I have something that plays music, can use wi-fi to surf the internet, I can watch videos on, and I can read the news and books on. I've really been happy with how much stuff it does! The entry-level Touch is also only $199, and it's comparable in price to both Nook and Kindle.

Love, love, love being able to download books, especially when they're still out in hardcover. :)

Tha Ridge
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:10 PM
I love my Kindle. :yes: I bought it without even seeing one in person and it's AWESOME.

I debated between it and the Nook. I hated the color screen at the bottom of the Nook (even the person in the store doing the demo had trouble with it) and it took forever to change pages and load books.

Also, Pirateer - Amazon does not include Project Gutenberg and Google Books in its count of 300,000. Nook does. With those factored in, the number of available books is about equal. Not to mention, if I can't find something good to read out of 300,000 books, I think the problem is not with the Kindle.

judybigredpony
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:32 PM
It was my single only request for X-mass.I used to read several books a month especially in the winter. But even @ Bargain Bookstore or Amazone I can drop alot of hay n feed money on books. Plus my eyes don't like the small print and I need alot of light.

So seriously pro to con which one..

Cost to download books...
WiFi compatable..
Ease to use and brightness (I have terrible vision)

Philosopher
Dec. 24, 2009, 11:25 PM
I just got one! Well actually my little brother got me one for Christmas, but he didn't order it until late so it will arrive sometime in January. I am so excited!! I love getting late Christmas packages in the mail; it makes Christmas last even longer. :winkgrin:

Pirateer
Dec. 24, 2009, 11:47 PM
Also, Pirateer - Amazon does not include Project Gutenberg and Google Books in its count of 300,000. Nook does. With those factored in, the number of available books is about equal. Not to mention, if I can't find something good to read out of 300,000 books, I think the problem is not with the Kindle.

Since when does Amazon let you use any of the G-Books?
We're at about 1.5 million books/mags/newspapers.

Halt Near X
Dec. 24, 2009, 11:57 PM
I bought a Kindle last year and have switched entirely to electronic texts. I won't buy print books any more, and I won't subscribe to any magazine/journals that won't deliver electronically.

The Kindle's ok. I have some issues with it, particularly with its poor PDF support (it can't handle the Google Books PDFs I want to load on it). But Plastic Logic is coming out with Que next month, and that is aimed at the business market. PDF support is much more advanced from the demos I've seen, and all sorts of other features I am looking forward to. I am absolutely drooling over it -- lined up a buyer for the Kindle and everything.

tikidoc
Dec. 25, 2009, 05:55 PM
I was thinking about a Kindle or some other e-reader as I spend over an hour on the train each day getting to/from work. I also end up walking almost two miles. Lugging hardcovers is seriously not fun.

I ended up getting an iPod touch instead, and just downloaded the Kindle app. So now I have something that plays music, can use wi-fi to surf the internet, I can watch videos on, and I can read the news and books on. I've really been happy with how much stuff it does! The entry-level Touch is also only $199, and it's comparable in price to both Nook and Kindle.

Love, love, love being able to download books, especially when they're still out in hardcover. :)

Yup, this. I was thinking about getting a Kindle until I found out about the Kindle app that I could download to my iPod for free. Love it, and I already had the iPod.

Abbeyroad1791
Dec. 25, 2009, 06:00 PM
I just got a Kindle for X-mas! Already I love the thing- it has my text books for college on it (HUGE PLUS) and every book I could ever want. Still figuring it out (ie. Where's the light?!?) but so far, so good!

Trakehner
Dec. 25, 2009, 07:43 PM
Kindle DX...I've had it for 4 months and love it. I've also saved a bunch of documents and loaded it on my kindle...pretty handy.

Don't bother with newspapers on Kindle...they're just not made for the format.

Astraled
Dec. 25, 2009, 07:45 PM
I use my Ipod Touch to read with (Stanza). It's actually pretty cool but I just read free books right now. Hard to pay retail when one is a used book fiend.

Tha Ridge
Dec. 25, 2009, 08:50 PM
I just got a Kindle for X-mas! Already I love the thing- it has my text books for college on it (HUGE PLUS) and every book I could ever want. Still figuring it out (ie. Where's the light?!?) but so far, so good!

There is no light, although you can buy external ones. The screen isn't an LCD like a cell phone or a lap top - it's "ink" on "paper." If it were illuminated you would get eye strain just like you do reading on a computer.

Simkie
Dec. 25, 2009, 08:52 PM
There is no light, although you can buy external ones. The screen isn't an LCD like a cell phone or a lap top - it's "ink" on "paper." If it were illuminated you would get eye strain just like you do reading on a computer.

Ayup. The technology is called eInk. Actually really interesting to read about, if you're into that sort of thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eink

Abbeyroad1791
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:23 PM

Oh. Well that solves my problem! :lol: Love it nonetheless- might look into the light for when I'm flying on airplanes or in the dark hiding from my roommate. ;)

kateh
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have a question-I'm a very avid reader so Kindle (or something like it) sounds like a very good idea for me. But I feel like I would really miss the feel of books! Plus I hate reading straight vertically, I need to do some columns or something or my eyes get "bored" if that makes sense. Is there a way to set up your screen to flip through pages or is it a continuous scroll (like a big PDF)? Do you miss the feeling of a book?

Simkie
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have a question-I'm a very avid reader so Kindle (or something like it) sounds like a very good idea for me. But I feel like I would really miss the feel of books! Plus I hate reading straight vertically, I need to do some columns or something or my eyes get "bored" if that makes sense. Is there a way to set up your screen to flip through pages or is it a continuous scroll (like a big PDF)? Do you miss the feeling of a book?

You click a button to turn the page, and yes--it is a little weird to not have the feeling of a book. It's weird to not have the cover art (although sometimes you do, just in black and white), and it's weird to not know how many PAGES the books has and it's weird to not have that smell of paper.

But it's also REALLY nice to not have the heft of the book and to be able to continue reading series when I finish a book at 2 am! :D No more waiting for the book store to open, or to have it shipped!

Tha Ridge
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:59 PM
I don't think it's weird at all. In fact, at this point for me, it's become entirely normal. To me, the Kindle "disappears" to the point where I don't even notice that it's there. I've read a lot more since having it, in addition to reading a lot faster.

SpecialEffects
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:09 PM
I was looking at a Sony e-reader a day or two ago. The lowest price one was $249 and the other one was over $300. Is that pretty much the price for all of them? I was expecting them in the $150 range and I was a bit surprised.

Interesting to hear the comments on them though. I wasn't convinced it was a good idea, but that's changing.

RiddleMeThis
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:06 AM
Since when does Amazon let you use any of the G-Books?
We're at about 1.5 million books/mags/newspapers.
The thing with Google Books is that they are public domain books. ANYONE can use the google books. Most are even at Project Gutenberg in MUCH better copies.

You can download the ebooks from Google Book in PDF form, which the Kindle 2 now reads. And like I said, most are better quality and Project Gutenberg.

Since the Nook has come out, I keep hearing scarier and scarier things.

RiddleMeThis
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:08 AM
I was looking at a Sony e-reader a day or two ago. The lowest price one was $249 and the other one was over $300. Is that pretty much the price for all of them? I was expecting them in the $150 range and I was a bit surprised.

Yep. About 250 is the standard price. I believe Sony has a smallish one at about $200.

Both the Kindle and the Nook are at $259.

RiddleMeThis
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:09 AM
I don't think it's weird at all. In fact, at this point for me, it's become entirely normal. To me, the Kindle "disappears" to the point where I don't even notice that it's there. I've read a lot more since having it, in addition to reading a lot faster.
Ditto

horse-loverz
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:31 AM
I was all excited for the nook to come out and then I found out my BN discount will not work on their e-books and after playing with one in the store next to my Kindle found my Kindle to be easier to navigate though.. So I saved myself more money and am sticking with my Kindle. :D

RiddleMeThis
Apr. 10, 2010, 09:36 PM
*Bump*

How is everyone doing with their E-Readers? Any awesome covers/gadgets for them?

I'm currently using a gorgeous Oberon Avenue of Trees cover in green, and about to buy a new decalgirl skin for my Kindle.
https://www.oberondesign.com/shop/images/products/3335.jpg

And one of these two skins
http://images.decalgirl.com/assets/items/akin2/800/akin2-ctemple.jpg
http://images.decalgirl.com/assets/items/akin2/800/akin2-grnleaf.jpg

Whats everyone else?

linquest
Apr. 10, 2010, 11:33 PM
Mac just released the uber-sexy IPad, which is basically a magazine-thin, ultra-light wireless laptop with touchscreen. It has an e-book feature that's really cool. My neighbor is in the publishing biz, so I got to test drive it for a few minutes. I loved "flipping" pages using the touchscreen. I might actually buy it if my PC laptop craps out on me. Pricey at just under $500, but the price should drop eventually, and it has so many other functionalities beyond being an e-book reader- http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

They are also going to publish e-magazines with it. If they start publishing "Practical Horseman" and stuff like that, I can see using it to look up articles really quickly on whatever you're schooling when you don't have trainer access.

Kestrel
Apr. 10, 2010, 11:53 PM
Some of the things I like about the Kindle, which may or may not be the same with other platforms:

I am old, and like to set my Kindle for a larger font size.
I also have a bit of arthritis in my hands, and the Kindle is easier to hold than holding a print book open with one hand.
The Kindle is small enough to easily fit in an average sized purse, and even fits in some coat pockets (including lab coats).

Philosopher
Apr. 11, 2010, 12:24 AM
I am really loving the nook I was given for Christmas. I am not old, but I also like being able to create a larger font size. I like to read in bed while lying on my side, so it is very nice that there are forward and back buttons on each side of the nook that enable me to flip the page with whichever hand I'm not lying on.
It is great in the middle of night to find a book, read reviews, download a twenty page free sample, and then buy the book if I like what I've read.
I covet an Oberon cover, but I was most concerned about protecting my nook from bumps, scratches, dust, hair, etc. so I went with the m-edge (http://www.medgestore.com/products/nook-latitude.psp) cover, with which I am totally thrilled.

Across Sicily
Apr. 11, 2010, 01:04 AM
I LOVE my Kindle. I've had a Kindle for about two years and stepped up from the first version to the 2nd version last year when it came out.

I don't know what I'd do without it anymore. It's so easy! I don't love buying a million books for it - wish you could "rent" a book for a week or something - but it sure beats the GIANT stack of books I have taking up space. Best of all, I travel a whole lot and now I don't have to pack ten pounds' worth of books to keep myself occupied. It's just the Kindle.

What's not to love?!

RiddleMeThis
Apr. 11, 2010, 01:13 AM
Best of all, I travel a whole lot and now I don't have to pack ten pounds' worth of books to keep myself occupied. It's just the Kindle.

I know! This time last year I was planning last years trip to Rolex and trying to figure out how to get all my books packed that I would need for my 3 week long vacation. This time I only have to bring my Kindle. Its an AWESOME feeling.

Since getting it I will no longer read/buy paperback or hardcover books. Too much hassel. Too heavy, too cumbersome, and quite frankly no where near as enjoyable. :yes:

WindyIsles
Apr. 11, 2010, 10:31 AM
I got a Kindle for my birthday...

...And I haven't used it.

As a poor broke college student I just can't justify buying books right now (and all of my favorites aren't available - last time I checked). Also as for textbooks the Kindle has been a disappointment (I've found ONE yes ONE of my textbooks available Kindle-version) :sigh:

...Hopefully I'll get more use of out if it when I'm out in the real world/have cash.

RubyLink
Apr. 11, 2010, 12:48 PM
I have the Sony Ereader and I love it. I read a crazy amount of books and I love to reread all those books. It's nice having them stored in one place for me to read whenever I want.

I can buy from a bunch of different places and am not forced to buy just from the Sony store.

It has slots for memory cards so I am not limited on the amount of books.

I love the metal frame for it since it makes it feel a bit sturdier and I take the reader everywhere.

McVillesMom
Apr. 11, 2010, 02:17 PM
I love my Sony eReader too! It is especially great for traveling. I figured out a while ago how to "borrow" ebooks from my local library, which has been great. They don't have a super great selection, but I've been able to find some good stuff.

InstigatorKate
Apr. 11, 2010, 02:23 PM

As a poor broke college student I just can't justify buying books right now (and all of my favorites aren't available - last time I checked).

All the classics are available for free, and lots of other little romance novels, etc. are free too. Just look under their free books section.

Too bad your gift-giver didn't include a gift card for books! Mine did :-)

RiddleMeThis
Apr. 11, 2010, 03:21 PM

As a poor broke college student I just can't justify buying books right now (and all of my favorites aren't available - last time I checked). Also as for textbooks the Kindle has been a disappointment (I've found ONE yes ONE of my textbooks available Kindle-version) :sigh:

...Hopefully I'll get more use of out if it when I'm out in the real world/have cash.Here is a thread on another board, that lists free books every month.
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,22223.0.html

They start a new thread every month, but its definitely worth checking up on. They do some really good ones some times.

WindyIsles
Apr. 11, 2010, 03:21 PM
All the classics are available for free, and lots of other little romance novels, etc. are free too. Just look under their free books section.

Too bad your gift-giver didn't include a gift card for books! Mine did :-)

*makes note* I think I will need to stock up on romance novels this summer to give my brain a rest (in between Thesis Topic Researching). :)

Halt Near X
Apr. 11, 2010, 04:16 PM
Another option for free books for the Kindle is to grab the .txt version of books from Project Gutenberg and run them through Kindle's document conversion process. The conversion process is free if you have them email the document to you, and then you can transfer the file from your computer to the Kindle.

The formatting won't be the prettiest, but you can't beat free. If you are Word-savvy, you can set up macros and clean up the worst of the formatting that way, then run the file through Kindle's service.

Many of the Project Gutenberg texts are also for sale on Amazon for $1 or so by people who have already cleaned them up. If you want better formatting but don't want to spend the time, that's still pretty affordable.