PDA

View Full Version : GRE's

Lone
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:47 PM
Anyone else taken them recently? Or signed up to take them soon?

I'm signed up to take it (again) tomorrow morning!

I took it in early Oct after studying a ton. Rocked the math section, scored 150 higher than I needed to. And completely failed the vocab. As in, I have the vocabulary of a 4th grader. And not even a *smart* 4th grader. We're talking one who's been held back a few dozen times.

sigh. So, I've been studying my flashcards like crazy! Hopefully it'll pay off. Any last minute suggestions? Study tips?

Send smart thoughts my way tomorrow please!

SaturdayNightLive
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:50 PM
No advice, but I did just take it in October. Rocked the vocab and written and then tragically failed the math. It was ugly. :lol: I'm too scared to take it again.

Twigster
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:54 PM
Flashcards are your best friend :-)

Make sure to focus on root words, since you could see the same root more than once.

I was really nervous about the vocab, and practicing was key for me. Maybe try and work in another practice vocab section tonight?

annikak
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hey- yeah, took that beast- the day my daughter was giving birth. Needed it to get into my program, so had to take it.

Flash Cards are great! Did great on the Verbal and the math?? Ugh. I had not taken chem, nor any math at all (except balancing my checkbook which I failed at miserably!) when I took it in July. Flash forward to being at the end of a chem class, and I wonder what my problem was??

Anyway, did well enough to get an interview at the schools I wanted to get in to, so...
You'll be GREAT! (GRE-at!)

notforyouorme
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:02 PM
I just moved mine from Dec 5 to Jan 9--aaah! I need to work on my math and haven't been studying enough!

TBlitz
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:11 PM
I'm going to be taking it at the beginning of January :dead:

Any suggestions for the best study materials? I'm looking at getting the Princeton Review's Cracking the GRE, Barron's Essential Words for the GRE, and Barron's GRE flashcards. Anything recommended for a weakness in math? I haven't done math in years and am not doing as well with the comparisons.

Tha Ridge
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:16 PM
Took it at the end of October. I was totally panicking about the math, but ended up doing just fine. Decent on verbal (85th percentile), but still would've liked a bit higher. AW was okay.

All in all, I'm satisfied but if I had the time, I would probably retake it now that I know what to expect.

Lone
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:31 PM
TBlitz- I have 3 of the big study books (had a couple friends take it last year, so I got their hand-me-downs!) I have the Princeton Review, the Kaplan and the one from Barrons. Of all of them I like Barrons the most by far. It has a huge section dedicated to both the math and the verbal. This (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764142003/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0764174711&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=18NV2D360CSVQAJ1CYBE) is the one I have- highly recommend. It has several full practice test and an individual section for each math topic you might see (fractions, decimals, percentages, triangles, etc, etc). Of all the books I have it has the most problems to work.

I also got the Barrons verbal flashcards, that's what I've been studying off of- or was. On Monday the dog I'm house sitting chewed them all up- NOT great timing on his part! But, prior to that the cards had been helpful.