PDA

View Full Version : Child was told the horses were dead!

shakeytails
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:55 PM
Last week my friends 6yo kid, who I always refer to as my niece, stopped over with her dad. I've brainwashed this child from the beginning to love horses, and it worked. DH asked her why not go pet one of her favorite 2 horses? She said "She's dead". DH said no she's not, she's in the same stall as she always is. After the child played with that mare a while, DH told her to go say "Hi" to her other favorite out in the pasture. She was told that mare was dead, too. Apparently either her mother or her mother's new boyfriend told her that.

I'm extremely displeased, to say the least. Since Mom got divorced she's quit riding (and taking the child riding) and started hanging out with a wannabe rockstar who's family doesn't exactly have a good reputation around here. Mom (who's like my little sister), rarely calls or stops in anymore- she's too busy pretending to be manager of a rock band and acting like an irresponsible 20 year old. I've heard the band's music- they suck.

I can understand not taking the child to riding lessons because of finances, and I can't afford to help out in that respect at present, but to tell a child that the horses are dead???? I'm waiting to see her in person to tell her that's a cruel and evil thing to do.

Comments?

gieriscm
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:15 PM
I'm aghasted. What a nasty thing to tell a child.

Woodland
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:42 PM
I am guardian to a child with a similar story - she is a delight who thrives here away from the morons that make up her DNA.

Just be there for her dear, there is a rocky road ahead for her!

Pelican Bay
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:43 PM
How sad for that child.

tazz001
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:23 PM
Poor kid....what a terrible thing for parent(s) to tell a child.

I do understand that some parents get involved in their own things but telling a child their fav animal is dead is down right rotten....

some gene pools....nuf said

shakeytails
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:40 PM
Neither parent is truly a bad person. The Dad drinks too much (the reason for the divorce), and Mom, well, I just don't know what's going on but she needs to grow up and act like a responsible parent. Dad was appalled that someone told the child the horses were dead, but DH convinced him to let me handle it when I see her. I'm pretty sure I can make her feel very small with just a few words, and I can be very calm about it. I just can't believe that anyone would be that cruel to a young child.

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:43 PM
it sounds to me like mommy needs therapy. No healthy minded person would say that to a child

MunchkinsMom
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:13 AM
I can't even find the words to express my feelings on this. :mad:

I hope you do make her see how wrong that was, and that now her daughter will not trust things that she tells her from this day forward, as she just found out the hard way that mommy is a liar, and that is probably the least of her issues.

JanM
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:02 AM
Good point MM. I feel so sorry for this little girl. Shakey-I'm so glad she has you to take an interest in her and treat her the way she should be treated.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:05 AM
That's so sad. At least if you remain in her life and are always there for her and the same, she's got a rock to hold on to. It takes a village to raise a child.

M.K.Smith
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:50 AM
That is terrible. Poor kid. I hope her mother comes to her senses.

It brings back a memory from work a few years ago. I was making an outbound call from the fraud department to verify account activity. I call and a lady answers the phone. I explain that I'm from the fraud department and wanted to speak to ____.

She replies that she's dead.

I express my condolences and explain that it appears somebody was trying to use the customer's account. I ask for estate information.

The lady then says something to the effect of, "No, it's me. I didn't want a sales call."

WHAT... ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Good thing I hadn't closed her account, yet!

I couldn't believe somebody would tell people that they were dead... it just seemed really messed up to me!!!

nightsong
Nov. 27, 2009, 06:32 AM
Dad was appalled that someone told the child the horses were dead, but DH convinced him to let me handle it when I see her. I'm pretty sure I can make her feel very small with just a few words, and be very calm about it. I just can't believe anyone would be that cruel to a young child.

Being cruel to the parent is the way to teach them compassion??? I don't think so.

Lady Counselor
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:54 AM
That's awful. And who only knows what other nasty things they are telling to her.
Her kid's going to grow up not trusting her from a young age.

shakeytails
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:24 AM
Being cruel to the parent is the way to teach them compassion??? I don't think so.

The idea isn't to be cruel, it's to get the mom to think about the consequences of her actions. I'm very concerned about trust issues. This is a very sweet child who has been brought up to love animals, and I don't want to have anyone take that away from her. I'm sure when she's a bit older she'll spend more time with me and the horses, and I have a horse that,with a little more seasoning, she'll be able to win on. As much as the little ones like me, I'm really not a big fan of kids until they're older. Call me bad, but kids under about 8-9 get on my nerves after about half an hour- that's why I have none of my own!