PDA

View Full Version : P90X anyone done it?

twcolabear
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:39 PM
After stuffing myself on turkey this weekend I am planning on starting on p90x workout regiment. It looks hard but I think my horse will thank me for it Afterwards. Has anyone tried it? Wants to join me?

Long Spot
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:41 PM
What is it? Link? Description? I need to get my ass in shape.

Simkie
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:03 PM
Yes, I've tried it. Was great for a couple weeks. Totally kicked my ass. Found it hard to stick with, though. Went and joined a gym instead.

glfprncs
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:42 PM
I'm in my 3rd round, so I've been pushing play with P90X for 8 months. LOVE IT! Seriously, it's the first time in my life where I finally feel in control of my fitness and health. Love, love, love the program. I despised working out prior, and I cannot stand going to the gym. This was a win-win for me.

In fact, I've blogged about it here:

http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com

You can see my first 90 day pictures here (click on my story/transformation):
http://beachbodycoach.com/nancyschwert

glfprncs
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:59 PM
Longspot...here's a youtube video that shows you a bit about P90X:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIyjnyHj1mk&feature=channel

The program is based on the premise of 'muscle confusion.' You get your muscles used to a certain type of workout, then throw some new workouts into the mix every 3 weeks, so that you don't hit that horrible plateaus. There are three different programs that you can follow: Lean, Classic, and Doubles.

Lean consists of 2 days of strength/ab training, 1 day of core training, 2 days of cardio, and one day of yoga. I would recommend Lean if you're not already fairly fit.

Classic consists of 3 days of strength/ab training, 2 days of cardio, and one day of Yoga. Classic will get most people the best results. Even if you're not horribly fit, you can do classic, but will need to modify some moves at first.

Doubles is Classic rotation with 3-4 extra cardio sessions thrown in. I did Doubles over the summer. I'm glad I did it, because I really leaned out, but it was definitely a commitment.

The program also comes with a nutrition plan that will help you make changes to your eating habit so that you can get the best results. It's not about dieting (in fact, I eat about 2000 calories per day) or deprivation...it's about figuring out a way to fuel your body for life.

Send me a PM if you'd like more information...I love the program and will talk about it to everyone I can. It truly was life changing for me.

coymackerel
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:49 PM
It's fabulous. Excellent workouts and very well thought out nutrition plan. The vidoes are high quality and Tony is a funny guy.

That said you've got to be ready to really commit to it. The workouts are tough and unless you're already eating "clean" there's quite a learning curve to understanding and being able to manage the meal plan. For me the first month was brutal and then it started to become second nature. Unfortunately I separated my shoulder in an accident about 6 weeks ago and have had to quit while I'm healing.

Something that helped me when I started was going to beachbody.com and joining a workout group - the coaches really help you out by answering questions and having a group to be accountable to is helpful when you think you can't handle it.

If you're the type who likes to work out at home then I say give it a shot.

twcolabear
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:55 PM
Never really worked put at home. I used to go running but the last month I haven't done anything. I hope to stick to it because I don't have time to go to gym and that why I liked running

glfprncs
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:12 PM
TW..the key, I think, is to have a specific time every day that is your 'push play' time. I am able to leave work by 3:30 (I'm a teacher), and I'm home by 3:50. I have a little snack, and my shoes are laced up, and I'm ready to workout by 4:30. Sometimes I walk the dogs first (for 40 min.), then do my P90X workout. I used to do it in reverse order, but now that the days are short, I want the dog walk done before it's dark. Regardless of what happened that day, I start working out AT 4:30...no ifs, ands or buts.

I am also one of the 'coaches' to which a previous poster referred. It's my job to answer questions, help you modify things if need be, to help you with accountability, to be your cheerleader when you meet goals, and to give much needed kicks in the pants whenever requested. A lot of the individuals that I coach have 'friended' me on FB, which makes staying in contact really easy. Let me know if you have questions!!

knightrider
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:31 PM
stupid question...but is it 90x because the workout is 90 min? I thought someone told me once it was an hour and a half...curious...I have a friend who was going to lend me their dvd's...I'd like to do an early morning workout, but not sure I have 90 min. in the morning.

glfprncs
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:39 PM
P90X was created as a more intense version of a program that Beachbody and Tony Horton created called Power 90. P90X is a more advanced or 'X'treme version, and will get you fit in 90 days...hence the 90 in the title.

The workouts range from 45 to, yes, 90 minutes. Yoga day is a 90 minute workout, however, many people do the first 45 minutes (strength poses), and the 2nd 45 (balance and stretching) in 2 separate part of the day.

Most workouts are 55 minutes with an 11 minute Ab workout tacked on to strength training days.

HCF
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:49 PM
glfprncs - sent you a PM :)

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:40 PM
I tried it for about 45 days, but I ride for an hour and a half a day, and I work full time. That left me with 2 hours to myself a day... sorry that just wasnt worth it.
I also found that after 45 days of the same 8-9 videos i was bored, and had all of tony's jokes memorized.
I now run with the dogs 2 miles a day, walk with them 2 miles a day, do sit ups when i remember and am only an inch bigger in the waist since stopping p90x.

ellemayo
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:17 PM
I'm doing it right now, on week 2!
I love it... I can already feel that my clothes fit better, and I can *almost* do one chin up without the chair :) My roommate was doing it with me for awhile but she recently gave up so I'm now doing it alone.

I haven't done a very good job sticking with the nutrition plan though... it's hard to do in college with four roommates! Luckily I don't eat terribly badly anyway, but I could still do a much better job on that end.

It can be really hard to stick with. I've had a few days where I wasn't home all day and couldn't do it, and I just continued on as scheduled, pushing the whole regimen back a day. I definitely think I could be getting better results than I am, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with it, and I don't think I would enjoy it as much if I went crazy trying to follow everything perfectly.

The workouts are pretty good in that they push everyone who does them, and you can tailor them to fit your fitness level.

Jolie_
Nov. 27, 2009, 07:50 AM
Me and a group of people at our barn do it after riding. The only downfall is we don't go out everynight, so we started 2 weeks ago and are on day 6 of the program. But I do like it alot, motivating to do in a group as when you think you possibility can't do a move and look over to see your friend/coach doing it then your mentality changes and is easier to push yourself.

I have found a huge difference in my body but can't say it is fully from the P90X as on the days that we don't work out at the barn I do a Jillian Michaels workout (I love her), but the mixture of the two have really kept me from getting bored while still working out each day.

McVillesMom
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:37 AM
For those who have/are doing it...do you need a lot of equipment? I'm really thinking about it, but $120 is a LOT of money for me right now, and it might be difficult to buy a bunch of other stuff too...(unless one of you would like to make me a copy of the DVDs...:D)

Thanks!

Jolie_
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:48 AM
Not sure what you consider a lot?
Would say a pull up bar is a must ( you can use bands but I don't find it equivalent however we do use a univeral weight bench attachment as we only have 1 pull up bar so we rotate between pull up bar/band/universal bench).
A yoga mat
Some different sized hand weights ( I use my 15lb/10lb the most)
A chair (I use my kitchen chair)

I will PM you some links for some of the work-outs which can be found online, some are just of other people doing the work-out but does work okay as if you find good ones to follow not so bad but of course the dvd sets are much better.

glfprncs
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:25 PM
McVilles Mom--While I have the pull-up part and a selection of dumbbells, I did my first round of 90 days with just resistance bands, and got really good results. I chose to invest in dumbbells and the pull up bar simply because I like the 'feel' of dumbbells over the bands, and I got the pull up bar because, dammit, I want to feel kick a** and be able to do pull ups! If you invest in bands, make sure you get good quality ones. I know people who bought Wal-Mart bands, and they're so thin that they snapped while in use. Nothing like a giant rubber band flying towards your face.

A yoga mat and some sort of block for yoga (you can buy yoga blocks, but a good thick book that you don't mind getting sweaty will work just fine as well), as well as a chair (I, too, stole mine from the kitchen) will get you on your way.

I realize that $120 seems like a LOT of money. My husband was ticked off that I purchased it when I did because he thought I was throwing money down the drain. That said, it's 10 workouts, and it's a lifetime of fitness if you want it. I think of it this way...it's $1.25 per day. That's FAR less that the Starbucks that many people drink every morning, and a lot better for me you as well.

coymackerel
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:50 PM
You need dumbells or a set of exercise bands in various "weights", either a pull up bar or an exercise band. A yoga mat is nice but you can use a beach towel. Yoga blocks are helpful if you are not very flexible or are new to yoga.

I started with a 30lb band for the pullups. One band weight works fine at the beginning unless you already have a good amount of upper body strength. You can get a set of Reebok Speed Pac Weights at Target which aren't as nice as the more expensive sets but will work for starting out. Or try Goodwill or Play it Again Sports for inexpensive dumbells.

If you're new to working out with weights I would get a light set of dumbells to start until you get the moves down and build up some stength. Maybe a set of 3, 5 and 8 pounds. Or the Reebok Power Pak that goes up to 12.5 pounds.

Hope that helps.

McVillesMom
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys! I just got some Christmas money (we did Christmas with my in-laws yesterday, since they'll be out of town in December) and I was trying to decide if it would be worth spending it on this. Sounds like it is, especially since I won't need much else.