PDA

View Full Version : Any counselors or psychologists out there?

Gayla
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:26 PM
I am starting a MS in Counseling and Psychology in January. How do you all like it? Any thoughts?

Bank of Dad
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:21 PM
So if you go into private practice be sure to have an office in the right ZIP code cause you get next to nothing from insurance companies if you participate with them.

Gayla
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:53 PM
So if you go into private practice be sure to have an office in the right ZIP code cause you get next to nothing from insurance companies if you participate with them.
What is next to nothing. I am looking forward to doing low cost counseling. I have had many many friends and employees that needed counseling for childhood abuse etc and they were locked out due to cost. No one with a regular job and family can afford one hundred or one hundred and fifty dollars an hour a week for months on end. I would like to have 2 practices. One that is at an agency that will let me use an office for free and do low cost counseling and one in an another area of town where I will charge full cost. Could be pipe dreams...just have to see how it plays out. I'm a social worker at heart.

Bank of Dad
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:22 PM
Well, I'm a social worker at heart and have been for almost 40 years. My income has hardly gone up since I started. I could never do the work I do if I were'nt married to this great guy with a steady salery.

If you become a social worker, you need to be licensed. A masters in couseling will get you licensed in some states. A master's in psychology won't get you licensed cause you need a Ph.D. for that.

Insurance Co.'s will pay about $60 per session for therapy for counselors and social workers. That includes a person's co-pay.

I am lucky enough to have worked in a physcian's office for next to no rent or overhead for 25 years. In exchange for steady referrals from him and other's, I particpate in all insurances. I can see 10 people a week in a slow time, or 25 in a busy time. There's no predicting how things go. I have a lot of repeat customers over the years. I'm really good at what I do. I don't see adult men, I don't do marriage counseling, I don't do drug and alcohol. I prefer to see women, kids, and teenagers. I do a lot of reduced fee work.

Think about health insurance also. Not sure how I would get it if I weren't married.

Would I do it again? Not sure. I work lots of nights and Saturadays cause that's when folks are available. I get flexibility for my kids, and can sometimes ride during the mornings. Sometimes it feels better than 8-5 like lots of folks.

I do all my own paperwork, scheduling, and billing. Takes up a lot of time. If you work for a group practice, they keep about 50% of what you collect.

I still wish I had become a vet, but I was terrible in math and chemistry. At one point I thought about law school and special education law, but after a Ph.D. in social work, I was done.

Now I dream about eventual retirement and just riding all day.