PDA

View Full Version : Dog keeps vomiting

eclipse
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:48 PM
...but only at 1am'ish. It's been going on for the last week, with the occassional night poops & stomach gurgling (I have a vet app't at 4pm today!). Her diet hasn't changed, and other than that she is the same as ever (a happy go lucky, eat as normal, no fever lab!).

At first I thought maybe she'd eaten something at the barn, but it's been a week now & it's still going on.

Has anybody ever experianced a dog that just seems to throw up in the middle of the night (it's just a yellow liquid)....sigh.....and then she'll have to go outside to poop! I'm hoping the vet won't have too bad news!

jetsmom
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:57 PM
Usually yellow liquidy/froth, means their stomach is empty. I don't know when her last meal is usually, but try feeding her before bedtime. (Two meals a day works best...am/pm). It takes roughly 12-16 hrs to digest a meal/poop, so you won't be making her need to poop at night).

JanM
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:01 AM
If the dog ate something that is blocking it's stomach it can stay in there for a long time before it comes up-years ago my lab ate a corn cob and it was weeks before she puked it up. I didn't know about it until my mother mentioned it after the cob came up on the rug-poor dog could have died but my mother couldn't be bothered to mention it to anyone because she hated to spend money on pets. The bitch in our house wasn't the dog, trust me. They can eat rocks or other undigestible items and it'll float around in there for a hideously long time causing vomiting and diarrhea too sometimes.

vacation1
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:23 AM
I have two suggestions. One is that the dog is getting overheated at night and it upsets his stomach. I don't know if it's just my house's gas heating system, but at night (when it's coldest and the heater kicks on highest), the warm air tends to rise and make the bedrooms uncomfortably warm. My dog's gotten mildly sick that way sometimes.

The other suggestion would be that the dog has gastroenteritis. In early stages, the only symptoms are vomiting and sometimes diarrhea - the dog will continue to eat and drink and act normally. But they just keep throwing up until all they can produce is yellow, white or clear liquid. At that stage, they're starting to get dehydrated and the worst thing you can do is feed/water them - it just continues the cycle. By then, they're pretty dehydrated and need to go to the vet for fluids and medication to settle their stomach and sometimes for pain, since it can be painful.

eclipse
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:11 PM
Vet pulled some blood for testing and now we have to wait! Also did a check for Giardia as they have had a few dogs in with it (even though they are vaccinated), also we have dewormed, just in case. She advised that seeing as Gracie is fine during the day to try splitting her dinner and feeding her right before bedtime, as the nights she's at the barn and gorging on oats she's not puking (full stomach). So, all was well, no puking at all, but about 3am the stomach gurgling started and an hour later out we trotted to go poop. And, wouldn't you know it, out came the most foul smelling poop you ever smelt!

The vet has also put her on a soft, canned gastro food to try & calm her stomach until the results come in, so hopefully whatever's going on is now going to be pooped out & settle down! If all this fails & the tests come back normal, then back to the vets it is for x-rays, ultrasounds & more tests!