PDA

View Full Version : Apple v Mac: The Epic Battle

BohemianRN
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:04 PM
Who was a PC and is now a Mac?
Any regrets?

Polydor
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:08 PM
I think you need to change your title since an Apple is a Mac.....

Can't really comment since i've only ever owned Apple but do use PC's at school.

P.

Dazednconfused
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm a switcher and will never go back as long as Apple continues on their trend of great products that do what they're supposed to do elegantly and well.

MEP
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah, the epic battle is Windows vs Mac (Apple computer makes the Mac!)

I've got both. Love my Macs, but needed a Windows machine for work stuff. I think the Windows laptop is ok, but I find it very annoying and time consuming when all the anti-virus programs grab and control the computer when *I* want to do something on it. :lol:

LexInVA
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:55 PM
Just what exactly do you mean by that statement MEP? I find it very very hard to believe that your anti-virus program is wresting control of your computer from you.

Scaramouch
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:07 PM
Are you talking about that annoying bar that pops up telling you to restart? You can tell it to restart later, but it just pops up 10 minutes later with the same thing? That is a pain. There is a way to turn it off, though.

KitKat987
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:23 PM
Mac, no regrets ever. Have been using this laptop for 3 years without issue. Have a PC as well, and hate it with every fiber of my being..... No comparison IMO.

Simkie
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:26 PM
Don't find macs intuitive AT ALL. Have to use PCs at work--currently Win XP but will probably upgrade to 7 sometime next year. Use Win Vista on my home computer (that I built myself) and have never had problems.

harveyhorses
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:37 PM
Learned on Macs, oh so many years ago, DH had a PC, I had a Mac. He would use his for work stuff only then wait till I was not looking and use mine. Now I use a PC at work and in MHO Windows is the work of the devil. :yes:
love love love my Macs at home.

BohemianRN
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:14 PM
LOL I can't believe I titled it that..Mac on the brain

Noctis
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:36 PM
Have a Mac...will never go back! Had one of the first ones on the market (dad did) and will NEVER happily use a Windows based machine EVER. I can be persuaded to use Linux occasionally though. There is truly no comparison!

Christa P
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:38 PM
I started with PCs back in the DOS days, now using VISTA. I NEVER understood MACs, they make no sense to me so I will stick with Windows.

Christa

dani0303
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:00 PM
I had been a window's person my whole life until a year ago. I got a Mac because I was sick of viruses and crashing. After a small learning curve to get used to the new OS, I'm a total convert! I now hate using Windows machines. I have NO regrets about getting the Mac. They may be a bit more pricey but IMO totally worth it :yes:

Pony Fixer
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:19 PM
You know what they say--once you've had Mac, you never go back!

Chief2
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:30 PM
I work on both. For internet usage, Mac rocks. For writing and editing, I prefer Microsoft to Mac's text edit. I tried Mac's Pages and discontinued the download once I went onto the forum for it and found so many problems and fixes. Not as user friendly as I needed. Now that I have found Google Docs, I am happier with my Mac.

Somantu
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:45 PM
I work on both. For internet usage, Mac rocks. For writing and editing, I prefer Microsoft to Mac's text edit. I tried Mac's Pages and discontinued the download once I went onto the forum for it and found so many problems and fixes. Not as user friendly as I needed. Now that I have found Google Docs, I am happier with my Mac.

What program are you using for writing and editing?
Can you not use MSword for Mac? I may be completely out to lunch, but thought I'd ask.

00Jumper
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:17 PM
I grew up on PCs - we used Macs in my school district but I didn't like them very much because I didn't get them. Senior year of high school I took a computer graphics class and a web design class and used only Macs for those classes. Halfway through the year, it was like a lightbulb went off over my head: oh my God, I love Mac. Bought a MacBook Pro to take with me to college and never looked back. :D LOVE my computer - it's great except for the battery issues.

I don't uses the Mac Pages for word processing, though. I bought Microsoft Office Suite so I could have MSWord, PowerPoint, etc. Between the Microsoft Suite and the Mac OS (and my beloved Firefox) I am a very happy girl! :)

annikak
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:25 PM
No regrets- none- none-none.

I use Office for Mac's. Hate the Apple program, so got Office and am happy as a pig in mud. LOVE it.

2foals
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:36 PM
Love my Mac. Will never go back.
:)

Kinsella
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:09 AM
I started out on a PC. Windows never really made sense to me. I got a Mac and it was like coming home. I have a PC desktop that I use as backup storage for photos and documents - it's never been connected to the internet and never will be - but it was a gift and not something I would have bought for myself. I love my Mac and will never go back!

redears
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:16 AM
I have all PCs at home, but work for Apple now and get to work on an iMac... LOVE IT. I wish I could afford to have my own Mac.

vacation1
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:07 AM
I prefer the PC, can use the Mac but what I really hate is the cult of Mac. My brother, a former programmer, will not let it go. PCs suck, PCs are bad, Macs are swell, Macs are good... Yeah, whatever.

MEP
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:16 AM
Just what exactly do you mean by that statement MEP? I find it very very hard to believe that your anti-virus program is wresting control of your computer from you.

Sure it does. It slows everything down and its a waste of time trying to get anything done when the virus check is going on. Very frustrating. It runs Vista which is a memory hog, and I'm glad at least I got 2 gigs RAM when I got it - I was looking at a Sony with only 1 gig and the salesman said no - go for the bigger RAM. He was right - but its still very constipated when the virus check is happening. Sorry. I just work on the Mac when that's happening. Other than that, its fine.

MEP
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:30 AM
Oh, and for those of you who would prefer to work on a Word-like program, there is Open Office which is 1) FREE and 2) allows you to open and work on Word docs and Excel spreadsheets. Of course, it's not exactly the same but very similar. (I got along fine on AppleWorks, but then they came out with their new iWork and quit supporting AppleWorks so I was very happy to find Open Office.)

Being able to use Word was one of the reasons I ended up buying the Windows laptop when I was job hunting - most employers work on the Windows platform - then I found out about Open Office! So I've still got the Windows laptop with Word and Excel and that's ok, it comes in handy sometimes!

redears
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:30 AM
Well, I don't know about cult... but my first day working at Apple we watched a video of Bill Gates talking about how the Macintosh was the best product ever made.