PDA

View Full Version : Are baby seal skin half pads really "out"?

gumshoe
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:59 PM
A baby seal has wandered into my yard. I've closed the gate and will hold off on clubbing it til I've had some feedback on this one!

It's small. Very small. I think I could only get a half pad out of its hide.

So what do you all think? My pro says that baby seal skin half pads are out. Should I let this one go and wait for a bigger one that I can get a full pad out of?

I think it would look lovely with my new Elk leather Inukshuk saddle (it's the Poutine version if that makes any difference?). My Mony (moosexpony) looks better in the baby seal half pad! Help!

TIA

hellerkm
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:11 PM
A baby seal has wandered into my yard. I've closed the gate and will hold off on clubbing it til I've had some feedback on this one!

It's small. Very small. I think I could only get a half pad out of its hide.

So what do you all think? My pro says that baby seal skin half pads are out. Should I let this one go and wait for a bigger one that I can get a full pad out of?

I think it would look lovely with my new Elk leather Inukshuk saddle (it's the Poutine version if that makes any difference?). My Mony (moosexpony) looks better in the baby seal half pad! Help!

TIA
They are , your better off waiting for a bigger one, if one does not "wander" onto your property I hear the are a big fan of carrots on a stick you can just lead one home!

ManyDogs
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:24 PM
Try to wait until a pregnant female wander in, or better yet, a whole bunch of them. Then you can have a pad AND a sealskin parka. Be sure to cure the hide with pee or smoke, then chew it to make it nice and soft.

RedHorses
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:15 PM
Beaver pelt pads are the newest thing for next year! The lovely brown shades won't show the slightest dirt either and clean up with just a hosing down.

:lol:

Vitriolic
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:27 PM
The mini people will pay big bucks for a wee baby seal half pad. Even if it is smaller than required for an 8" saddle, they will use it under their harness. It just says so much more about the owner than sheep skin.

Bravestrom
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:50 PM
I lucked out - a polar bear came up through the ice in our pond, came on shore and just dropped dead - yeah for me- I now have full polar pad, quarter sheet and helmet cover.

gumshoe
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:55 PM
I really can't afford a new polar bear full pad... I'd love one but it's just too much $$$. Maybe I'll check ebay. Anyone have a used one for sale?

I always chew my leather. Some say it causes the stitching to break down but I've never had a problem. :)

fourmares
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:46 PM
God I love Canadians...

Foxtrot's
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:39 AM
You want Paul McCartney and Bridget Bardo to come after you with tv and everything??? Another reality hopeful?

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:58 AM
God I love Canadians...

It is only because of COTH's Canadian Invasion on Turkey Day that I forgive them for Celine Dion.

Bluesy
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:01 AM
God I love Canadians...

Yes, but do Canadians love -you-?

Carrera
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:18 AM
I would have to say that your coach is right. Baby seal skin is out. But baby beaver is so hot right now. Just make sure that the beaver pelt doesn't clash with your mony!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:29 AM
Beaver pelts can always be dyed. I believe RIT has a special section on their website with nifty tips for just this purpose!

ManyDogs
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:32 AM
What are you going to use the polar bear claws for? Spurs?
Best to use all of the beast so Canada's version of Fish and Game doesn't go after you for wanton waste of a game animal.