PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff- Felt/Fiber Additives for Indoor?

buschkn
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:46 PM
Spinoff from rubber footing thread...

Has anyone added this to existing sand? I have decided that i don't want to use rubber, as I don't think it will stabilize my sand the way I want it to. Have received some samples of different options. If anyone has added this let me know. This is for an indoor. Estimates I have received ranged from $1500-4K or so. Mine is 120 x 80.

Curious which brand you used, ease/difficulty mixing it in properly with your sand, maintenace, pros/cons, etc.
Thanks!

slantedhorse
Sep. 27, 2013, 10:54 PM
Spinoff from rubber footing thread...

Has anyone added this to existing sand? I have decided that i don't want to use rubber, as I don't think it will stabilize my sand the way I want it to. Have received some samples of different options. If anyone has added this let me know. This is for an indoor. Estimates I have received ranged from $1500-4K or so. Mine is 120 x 80.

Curious which brand you used, ease/difficulty mixing it in properly with your sand, maintenace, pros/cons, etc.
Thanks!

bump

Chief2
Sep. 28, 2013, 07:19 AM
The barn we board at added this in two years ago. They got carpet fiber footing from another barn owner who had stripped it out of her own arena in favor of more expensive footing. The cost to our BO was free, so see if someone near you needs someone who can take it off of their hands. The usual cost of this, used, would have been about $1,500. Besides the cost, they chose this over adding rubber because there isn't as much bounce to deal with in the footing, and it lasts longer. Depending on what you are doing with your horses, the amount of rebound in footing could either work with you or against you ((injuries). Asking an area vet you trust what he/she has seen that works well for your use might help winnow down the choice, which is what our BO did.

Because he wanted to repair and level the base footing in our arena before adding it in, the BO closed the indoor for the day, then he and a friend dug out the footing with a backhoe and used two bobcats and a bulldozer to rework it, adding 4 inches of sand to the base and leveling it out. Then he put a couple of large dump loads (think large construction dump trucks) of fiber into two different areas of the arena, and began mixing it into the sand with the bobcats and a bulldozer bit by bit until both loads were fully mixed in. This much took from 7 am to 6 pm to do. The next morning he watered and dragged it, and kept everyone off of it for another day. Additionally, he has saved enough fiber for another two large dump loads and it is stored outdoors under a tarp. The arena is the same exact size as yours. If you are getting it used, watch out for stones or small rocks, which ended up in our load because of digging it out of the previous barn. A rock picking party will clean it up quickly.

The footing remains dust-free much longer than sand or sand/salt mixtures do. However, they still water and drag once a week during the good weather to keep the footing nice. In the winter they wait until a warm stretch to water and drag. If you are going to take the opportunity to level out your footing and add in the fiber, and it has been a long time since this was done, know that there will be a lot of dust and bacteria kicked up into the air (it will stink) and you may want to keep the arena off limits for a few extra days until everything settles down.