PDA

View Full Version : Military COTH's-your experince

SLW
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:07 PM
Dear daughter is to become engaged to an enlisted Army MP, currently in Germany but to be stateside in Feb. She will finish her undergrad studies this summer (2010) and they are thinking Aug/Sept nuptials.

Deployment is in his future for which he looks forward to. My question is this- how far out are deployment orders given?? IOW, if they set a fall '10 date could he be shipped out sooner??

What advice do you offer to a young couple with the military as the employer? He will probably not be career military- just 6 or 8 years and he has been serving 4 years already. Dear daughters goal is law school- she takes the LSAT in Feb. We have discussed the logistics of this issue.

Any advice/headsup would be appreciated! :D

Eventer55
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:26 PM
There was another thread a while back that can help you out. I have trouble pulling up past threads, maybe soemone else can.

In the meantime, I would recommend to the potential son in law that he go to college and become an officer. Read the previous thread and you'll know why. :):)

As far as deployments go, The Army owns him and will send him on a whim anywhere they want, whenever they want. I'll let some of the others chime in now.

Gotta go eat . . .

JanM
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:59 PM
With the Green to Gold program the Army will send him to college, and since he will have financing he will have his pick of schools-some of which may include a top flight law school. There is a program where active duty military can transfer some of their GI Bill college benefits to their spouse. Any Army education center will have information about the benefits transfer, and you can google "green to gold"-or call a recruiter for the program (information is at goarmy.com). And after she is a qualified attorney that passed the bar in any state she can use spouse preference to get a job with the Judge Advocate office at any post they go to. Lawyers are hired from spouse preference or directly through excepted service (they hire who they want off the list)-and she only has to be licensed in one state since she would be working on federal property.

CarolinaGirl
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:23 PM
My BF is in the AF and is currently deployed. He's about to hit his 3 year mark of a 6 year enlistment. He knows the time frames of deployments. I think they are moving to six months deployments (he got in on the last 4 month for what he does). But essentially they deploy and then once he gets home he won't deploy again for another 18 months, unless something comes up obviously. He knew he'd go in August based on when he came home from his last deployment, but I don't think he got official papers until June sometime to say where he was going and when. The AF is fairly regular with their deployment rotation and how long they are gone for though. So he'll come home in Jan and his deployment rotation won't come up again until like June 2011. I have no experience with how other branches work though.

SLW
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to share what you know! I really appreciate this info.

Once his time is up, he wants to continue in law enforcement but does not have college as a goal. He does not see the Army as a long term career because of the need to be moved regularly however he is 100% committed to what he is doing now and loving his time in Germany.

tle
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:23 PM
As someone said, the Army owns him. Information he gets today on a deployment a year out WILL change... it's the nature of the beast. Probably not much... but yeah, it's the Army.

As for his future, he may want to reconsider college. Even staying in law enforcement fields, more and more preference is given to degrees. He could try for an Army ROTC scholarship to help foot the bills and get into a reserve unit. A good friend of mine was infantry on active duty for 4 years out of high school, went through ROTC with me and when he graduated he went into an MP reserve unit and got picked up by a local police department. He's now a SGT with the department, although currently deployment with the Army as a Major. If he dosen't MIND the Army, getting off active duty and into a reserve or Guard unit is not bad $$ especially as an officer AND he can still collect a retirement after 20 years (and age 60 or 65 I think). The Army and I had a very definite difference of opinion so I got out of the Reserves after my committment was up.

tullio
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:49 AM
[quote=SLW;4521869]Deployment is in his future for which he looks forward to. My question is this- how far out are deployment orders given?? IOW, if they set a fall '10 date could he be shipped out sooner??

What advice do you offer to a young couple with the military as the employer? quote]

My husband is a logistics captain with 4 years in. I can tell you that deployment orders WILL change - sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. My husband's last deployment was scheduled for December 2007 - but he ended up leaving in March 2008. We got that information about 2 weeks before his originally scheduled deployment. They were also originally schedule for a 15 month trip but ended up back closer to 13 months. Due to school (career course) he will actually be getting more than 12 months dwell time but it is sadly common to receive new deployment orders shortly after returning, and to get more like 11 months dwell... I think the Army is working on this, but I have seen it happen to a lot of friends.

The thing to understand and accept - for him, her, and both families - is that "needs of the Army" will rule their lives as long as he's in. I have explained this to both of our families many times over. We frequently cannot make plans or travel the way we would like to, because we have orders (which may end up changing, or may not.) My mother is in despair that I haven't gone to grad school yet, but I'm about to move across the country for the 3rd time in 3 years, so it's just not happening right now. I'm okay with that and work around it, but if she is absolutely set on law school, she needs to be aware that this can happen. If they get a large post (like Hood) he may be able to stay in one place for several years and just be moved between units. That would make it possible to go to school, if there's a school near the post... it does add degree of difficulty to making life plans.;) Definitely check into transferring the GI Bill to her if he truly does not intend to go to college.

The Army isn't all bad. We all know the economy is struggling and lots of people are out of work - well, my husband has serious job security, is guaranteed a raise, and we have health care. Can't complain about that. He only commissioned because he received an ROTC scholarship for college - so we were in it short term, but now we are thinking of it more as a career. The other options are just not that great right now, no telling what the future holds. I would definitely recommend that they both keep an open mind - keep looking into education and opportunities both in and out of the Army, right up until he has to make a decision about staying in or getting out.

On the topic of Guard and Reserve... keep in mind that those units are also deployable. We have a lot of friends who've gone that route but don't recommend it, because those units do not always have the training and resources that active units have, which can make deployment even more of a challenge. (This is a major generalization, but we've heard it from a lot of service members we know... so something to consider.)

Oh, and one last thing, since someone mentioned spouse preference. The laws about it just changed recently, so definitely look into exactly what the situation is now, but please don't think that 'spouse preference' is any kind of guarantee. Jobs on post are usually very, very difficult to get. I have applied for many for which I was fully qualified, only to receive a note that I could not be considered because a vet/disabled vet had applied and had preference. It can be very frustrating.

Ok, that's enough out of me for now. :) I wish them both a lot of luck - the military lifestyle is not easy, but it is an adventure and can be very rewarding.