PDA

View Full Version : people with Corgis, how do you control the HAIR!!!???

murphyluv
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:32 PM
as someone else said, my dog should be bald with all the hair she loses on a daily basis. It is a never ending blizzard of corgi hair.
She gets raw food (sojo's mix) in the morning, and kibble (healthwise) at night. Her coat looks GREAT, no dandruff, shiny, nice color.
I use the furminator about every other day- can I use it more often?
I vaccum about every or every other day, and swiffer the hardwood floors.
yikes!

Go Fish
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:53 PM
Mine shed from about July through September, depending on how often I brush and bathe. The don't shed any other time of the year. Try a good bath...loosens the hair. They should be putting hair ON right now (the soft, downy undercoat), not shedding.

I also take the horse vacuum to mine - they LOVE that.

MKW
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:10 PM
I have three of the wonderful little hair generators! Weekly brushing, monthly baths and then vacuum, vacuum, vacuum! .......did I mention vacuum! Love them though, they are the best.

CarolinaGirl
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:21 PM
You learn acceptance lol. I live in SC and my corgi has been blowing her summer coat this month, finally! I furminate or brush her every other day or so and I swear I get a whole other dog off her each time. She could definitely use a bath though. She's on one cup of the California Naturals (split into two meals) and has nice shiny soft coat. I don't think she ever stops shedding.. she just kind of slows down mid winter and summer lol.
I LOVE her though. I'm not sure she'd tolerate the vacuum cleaner.. but ya never know.

propspony
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:32 PM
Get a Great Pyrenees and a Bernese mountain dog to go with them. Then you won't even notice the corgi hair.

Notice the little pile of red hair at the top of the pile. That's TWO corgis. The rest is from the Bernese Mountain Dog and the bottom pile is from the Pyr.

Corgi included for scale.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32725472&l=8f70174fb0&id=23706520

LaurieB
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:14 PM
Get a Great Pyrenees and a Bernese mountain dog to go with them. Then you won't even notice the corgi hair.

Notice the little pile of red hair at the top of the pile. That's TWO corgis. The rest is from the Bernese Mountain Dog and the bottom pile is from the Pyr.

Corgi included for scale.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32725472&l=8f70174fb0&id=23706520

What a great picture. :lol:

Calvincrowe
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:17 PM
Ugh. Corgis and their perpetual shedding. Ours mostly lives in our converted garage with the other two big boys (Aussie and a Wolfhound). I took out most of our carpet inside, which helps.

I don't think what you feed them matters--sounds like our crappy commercial diet fed boy sheds just as much as your much-better fed one does. Vacuum. Vacuum a lot.

We won't get another one, due to the hair and the barking.

threedogpack
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:21 PM
frequent bathing. Frequent.

I bathe about once a week now with 7 of them. If I only had one, it would be 2x a week. Then a blow out with the high velocity dryer.

A thick luxurious coat is a sign of good health. Shedding that coat is ALSO a sign of good heath.

it's also one of the most annoying habits of my favorite breed.

did I mention bathing?

Outfxed
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:25 PM
Mine is a perpetual hair factory on short legs 24/7 365. She just never stops leaving hair piles no matter how often I brush her. I've had her for almost 15 yrs. and while I CERTAINLY don't wish anything bad on the ole gal, I don't think I would ever get another Corgi again because of all the work her hair entails. She definitely is the most loyal and attentive dog I've ever owned but man oh man.......way too much hair!!!

propspony
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:54 PM
lol! They shed that much, and I STILL want a fluffy. :-)

Maybe I'm just crazy. :-p

Claudius
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:10 PM
I have two...one is a fluffy . I clip her about four times a year .....I began doing it because she had a skin condition and when I saw how happy it made her ,I kept doing it. Oddly enough, SHE does not shed like my other corgi. But they are such adorable, smart,funny, wonderful dogs they are worth the work!!!

Guin
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:22 PM
I use a "rake" every other day during shedding season (April > October).

murphyluv
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:40 PM
has anyone ever used the furminator on their corgi?

Dazednconfused
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:55 PM
Does anyone have a cardigan corgi, and if so is the shedding any better?

2ndyrgal
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:17 PM
I told my husband that Corgis only shed twice a year. What I didn't mention, was that it was for six months at a time! Miles has a luxurious coat (he is not a fluffy, but is a male with a gorgeous coat) he gets a modified "trace clip" as soon as it starts to warm up in the late Spring (which he LOVES). If it get really hot, he gets a full clip, ruff and all (he looks a bit silly but is much, much more comfortable) sometime in July. His coat is fully grown back by this time of year, and he seems to blow a bit of undercoat then really fill out. Miles gets a good bath in the wash rack in the barn about once a month, more during the spring and summer (he like to roll in the arena sand). He does shed a great deal, but he has absolutely zero "doggy" odor, in my mind, a good trade off. He has a full brother, a year younger that my twin sister owns, who is a mild "fluffie", who sheds like a fiend no matter what, she grooms him almost daily and he refuses to allow himself to be clipped in the summer. First Corgi for both of us and if I don't get another, it won't be because of the hair, it will be because Miles has so much personality, he's irreplaceable, I'd hate to be comparing the next one to him, no way could it measure up. He's absolutely perfect, great manners, wonderful to train, super smart, like the whiz kid-jock in a fur suit. He's sleeping off lunch right now after going out with me for night check and bragging to the cats that his lunch was SO much better than what they got. Really.

gieriscm
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:17 PM
We have two GSD's. I vacuum 2-3 times a week.

The bigger one also lets me vacuum him with a grooming attachment. I can get a load of hair out of just him every week!

Gayla
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:48 PM
I had a cardigan for 16 years (she died 2 years ago) and she shed like crazy. It was nuts. I would shave her at the beginning of the summer and it helped. I would like another Corgi but they are really hard to find in my area. I also don't want to pay 2K for a dog...I mean really!

goodhors
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:15 PM
Shedding is one of those breed secrets you never hear about until you own one of the breed members!

We wash, blow out the water, then dry her with towels. The next day we brush and vacuum her. You vac and brush hard for a couple more days and she is good for a week. If groomed, brushed and vacuumed weekly, we have very little shedding hair in the house.

For the coat blowout change from winter to spring, or fall to winter, she needs the bath, and daily grooming, vacuuming for a week. Then another bath, brush up the hair when dry, vacuum clean and she is totally done with the big shedding time. Back to weekly grooming.

She is not wild about the vac or blower to remove water after baths, but tolerates it well. Just part of the grooming process, not painful. We started her at a pretty young age with the vac.

This system works pretty well for us, with the weekly grooming time taking about 15 minutes total with the vac and brushing time on her. She has a lovely coat, slick, waterproof outside, seldom gets cold until temps really drop. She is on a very low fat diet of dry dog food for her health. Nothing special except low fat content. Hard kibble to keep her teeth shiny and clean. No soft foods or treats to keep her weight down to around a trim 18-19 pounds. She is a small but very active, athletic Corgi, no belly-dragging!!

All our floors are vinyl, so easy to clean with the vac. Visiting Corgi folks are surprised to see we don't have any Corgi hair or hairballs rolling about the house. And I am not a fanatic house cleaner.

We had GSD's before, so Corgi's are amateur shedders next to them!

The other dog is a Bouvier, which only shed if hair gets extremely long and is never groomed. Hair is like Poodle hair, grows forever. They lose small, hair ball type mats then. She is kept groomed weekly also, brushed and vacuumed with regular trims to control hair length and shape the coat. Kept trimmed very short in summer, about 2-3 inches long in winter.

I am amazed at how much hair comes loose off such a small dog. I think they must compress the downy undercoat under the guard coat! She truly looks like she lost a LOT of weight when the undercoat is gone.

Renn/aissance
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:41 PM
Rake comb, lots of vacuuming, and two Golden Retrievers for perspective.

Propspony, most excellent photo!

arnika
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:26 PM
Mine must be the exception, he rarely sheds and only very small amounts. As in a few hairs here and there occasionally. His coat is soft, shiny and gorgeous and he spends most of his time in the house or out on the farm. My rough coated collie is a major shedder twice a year for about 3-4 weeks until his spring/winter coats come in then, no more shedding. He spends the majority of his time in the house during summer/fall due to our very hot temps.

shakeytails
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:40 PM
I control the hair with a broom. It's pretty easy with smooth surface floors (tile and laminate), but it's really amazing how much hair a couple of 25# dogs can shed in a day or two.

mypaintwattie
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:46 AM
My mom bought a more powerful vacuum, which she uses just about daily. Other than that, I guess we have learned to live with it:yes:

Brushing with a furminator or similar type brush seems to work well too.