PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Smart Phones?

BlueEyedSorrel
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:06 PM
I'm toying with the idea of replacing my aging flip-phone with a smart phone but am totally clueless about the options. I want internet access and some calender/scheduling type functions. I currently have Verizon as my carrier.

So COTHers, what do you recommend? Switch to ATT and get an IPhone? Go for the Blackberry Storm? Is there some other brand that is the best? Brands to stay away from?

Thanks,
BES

mroades
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:42 PM
Get the htc Droid if you want to stay with verizon. the new Motorola droid does NOT hold up to the barn, it only took me 3 days to find that out...sigh

HARROLDhasmyheart
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:16 PM
I had a Blackberry for approximately a month before switching back to an IPhone. I think that the internet on the IPhone is significantly easier to use and user-friendly than on the BlackBerry. Also, silly as it sounds, it's really irritating to me to only be able to set one alarm on the BlackBerry. It's far easier to see, edit, and share pictures and media on an IPhone. However, I liked typing on the BlackBerry a lot better--it is a little bit easier IMHO. So, if you are going to use your phone primarily for business and e-mailing I'd say BlackBerry. Everything else...IPhone :).

Simkie
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:06 PM
The Droid is AWESOME. Stick with VWZ and go with the Droid.

Unless you have a Blackberry server at work that will sync all of your Outlook info, there is no reason to use one. IMO.

The iPhone is neat but is being eclipsed. It is in need of an update. And the ATT network sucks.

hunt_jumpfl
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:57 PM
I love my iPhone, but I hate AT&T. If I were looking for a new phone now (instead of a year ago) I would probably take a very serious look at the Droid. I haven't had my hands on one yet, but they look great. I'm not a fan of the Blackberry which is how I ended up with the iPhone. I wanted to switch from AT&T to Verizon, but I didn't like my option for phones with Verizon last year so I stayed with AT&T.

dani0303
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:56 PM
Just switched from the Blackberry Storm to the Motorola Droid. So far I love it but in the past few days it's gotten a bit "glitchy". I may try the HTC Droid

Simkie
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:17 PM
Just switched from the Blackberry Storm to the Motorola Droid. So far I love it but in the past few days it's gotten a bit "glitchy". I may try the HTC Droid

Stick with it until the Dec 11 update and try deleting any apps you've recently installed.

It IS the first release of Android 2.0. Some of the apps in the market will not work well with it and a few bugs are to be expected...

www.droidforums.net has been helpful for me.

(My biggest issues with the OS are no email signatures for anything other than gmail [REALLY, google? WTF?] and the fact you can't accept meeting invites. I expect these issues to be addressed shortly, and if you absolutely have to have this functionality Right Now, Touchdown is only 9.99$ right now.)

I don't even have this phone--I am the wireless admin for about 150 wireless lines, and have set up one Droid for a user that has little tolerance for such things--but if it comes to TMO (and it might (http://www.tmonews.com/2009/10/please-let-this-be-real/)!) I am jumping ALL over this bad boy.

The HTC Droid Eris runs on a slower processor and Android 1.5. I have a phone with the same processor and the same version of Android--the Moto Cliq--and it Does. Not. Compare. to the Droid.

JanM
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:55 AM
Everyone I know with a blackberry has switched to the Iphone. You have to evaluate phone plans and suppliers by how the reception is in the areas you will use it in most often-no point changing suppliers and getting worse service. The one thing with the IPhone is that with heavy use you will have to charge it at least once or more a day. Ask around and see what phone services people have that live, work or are at the barn with you have and how their reception is. I have heard that the IPhone/AT&T has more dropped calls than other phones but that might depend on the geographic area also. Plus the internet/text etc service you'll need to run an IPhone/Droid/Palm Pre might run more than your current service also. I know Consumer Reports had an issue evaluating plans and services but it does vary widely according to geographic areas. My boss loves her IPhone but when it needed service the only Apple service location in our state is many hours away-she almost went into withdrawal while it was in the shop and in transit, and it didn't even take that long to fix and return.

Arathita
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:19 AM
I am happy with my blackberry. Any computer can synch to it with the disk provided upon purchase. Many business platforms support the blackberry but if you plan to surf alot the iphone may be a better choice. I have no plans to switch from my blackberry.

JoZ
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:47 AM
Related question -- are mobile phone numbers portable from one carrier to another? My current number has become part of my identity and I'd hate to lose it. That alone would keep (has kept) me with AT&T.

Simkie
Nov. 27, 2009, 03:03 AM
Related question -- are mobile phone numbers portable from one carrier to another? My current number has become part of my identity and I'd hate to lose it. That alone would keep (has kept) me with AT&T.

YES. Your number is portable.

If you are currently in contract with ATT, you will face an early termination fee (ETF) if you move to another carrier. ETF with ATT is usually $200. Once you are no longer in contract, you can take your number without penalty.

In order to port, you will only need to tell your new carrier that you have a number that you would like to port to their service. They will also for account details like account number, billing address, password on the account and SSN of primary account holder.

The port process is generally seamless. Your old phone will stop working and your new phone will start working. Every now and then something wonky will happen like dual service (where you are receiving calls on one phone and placing on another) but that is not common and would only occur for 24 hours ish. You will lose any saved voicemail and any info saved on your SIM card (as you will not be able to use your ATT SIM card with another carrier.)

2DogsFarm
Nov. 27, 2009, 07:16 AM
As a technological dinosaur I have a question (or three...):

Right now I have AT&T GoPhone service - no contract.
A friend has offered me her old Iphone.
I'm pretty certain AT&T won't activate it w/o a contract so how much am I looking at monthly for just simple calling (minimal long distance), email & some web surfing/Apps?

nadasy
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:02 AM
I just got a Rugby from ATT in August, and love it. I was with Verizon for almost 12 years, and just got tired of the hidden charges and bad coverage. I switched to ATT because I can use this phone to tether to my laptop when I am away for the Winter and only PAY for the months, time I use it, unlike the USB card which has a 2 year contract on it.

The other thing about the Rugby that I particularly LOVE is the fact that you can drop it in a water bucket or run over it with machinery and it still keeps working.

It's used by police departments, fire departments and the Military because they are so rugged. They have a great feel, all the apps you can imagine, texting, camera which is great and I don't have to worry when I drop it.

Rugby is made by Samsung. It also has a replaceable battery which the iPhone does not. I looked into iPhone because I have all Mac products, but the fact that if something happens to it you have to send it in to get a battery didn't thrill me.

This has a really good speaker as well so I can talk and clean stalls at the same time. LOL

I've had the same number for my business for 12 years, and was able to transfer it over without any penalty to ATT. I had a contract with Verizon for a basic plan that ended in August, so I didn't have a penalty. I copied all the numbers down and went home with my new phone.

I did shop around for about a month, calling, reading, talking to reps in a store. Almost bought a Verizon Blackberry, but the tethering contract was a deal breaker.

lauriep
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:10 AM
Another Motorola Droid user here! Almost 3 weeks into it, and I ADORE this phone! No issues whatsoever. I use mine in the barn and it is fiine. I am careful, I use a belt holster and I take it off when giving baths, but other than that, it is on me all the time. It can do SO MUCH! And the open sourcing only makes it more capable. Updates will come OTA, painlessly. New apps appearing every day. I wanted an iPhone very badly, but ATT has NO coverage at all where I live/work. Now, I don't feel like I had to settle. This phone is wonderful!

pday09
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:13 AM
I have the iPhone and my boyfriend has the storm. He is TOTALLY jealous. ;) Unless you're pretty tech savvy, its hard to tap into everything the storm can do. The iPhone is ridiculously easy to use and has everything you need and nothing you don't. Plus its more aesthetically pleasing. :-) And the two keyboards are both thumb-tappers on the screen, and I find the iPhone's much easier to use than the storm.
Two BIG thumbs up for the iPhone.

mroades
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:37 AM
My Droid shattered 3 days in.....still works, but my HTC never even got scratched after many drops, run-ins with horses etc.

I find the Motorola Droid too slick and heavy compared to the HTC. Also a little too sensitive on the touch screen.

AT&T coverage is so miserable and the no repair/replace thing on the Iphone is too scary for me.

tullio
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:54 AM
We got Iphones in May and loooove them. I have fiddled with a relative's Storm and found it much more difficult to navigate.

I was worried about Iphone durability - have not even scratched the darn thing, despite carrying it in a pocket while foxhunting (so we could get a map of our path via GPS... so cool), dropping it countless times, etc.

We travel a lot (and move a lot, too... sadly) and for finding our way in unfamiliar areas, finding stores of places to eat, getting traffic reports, etc, etc... Iphone has been awesome.

We have only had problems with wireless service in extremely remote areas (like, literally, parts of the Ozark mountains...) so for the average person I don't know that coverage would be an issue.

JanM
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:52 AM
2 Dogs-a friend at work doesn't have a contract and never has. He buys his own phones (for much less than the companies charge), pays the activation fee, ports the phone number (you can keep your current number), and goes month to month with the company he wants. He gets great service when he calls the help line too-they think if they are very helpful that he will get a contract with them. AT&T will activate with just the fee and no contract, and when I asked around the basic service with text/internet started at about $60 and went up from there. For apps you get an apple account, like on Itunes and pay for each app as you get it, and there are tons of free apps out there too. The last estimate I heard for apps is that there are over 70,000 apps. And the apps are yours after initial purchase except for subscription type apps.

Tha Ridge
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:06 PM
I love my iPhone and would recommend it in a heartbeat. Although, one thing to consider is that the connectivity and speed of 3G networks on AT&T has been compromised simply due to the large number of iPhones on the network now. So, that sometimes kind of sucks when it's slow or you can't find service in a totally metropolitan area - i.e., the phone frequently drops calls/won't find service in my downtown Dallas apartment building.

I do know a few people who have the PalmPre (Sprint, I think?) and love it.

sickofcollege
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:24 PM
I still love my Blackberry. Most of my friends have switched over to Iphone's. I, personally, think the Iphone's are super cool but they aren't for me. I need real buttons! Plus, I can drop my phone (or drive off with it on top of my car) and it's fine.

BTW, I was looking through our family storage unit because we have amazing antiques, art, knick knacks, etc. and I found the FIRST portable cell phone ever! The ID number 026! Lol. I should take a picture of it or something. I was shocked to see how massive they were!

Simkie
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:11 PM
As a technological dinosaur I have a question (or three...):

Right now I have AT&T GoPhone service - no contract.
A friend has offered me her old Iphone.
I'm pretty certain AT&T won't activate it w/o a contract so how much am I looking at monthly for just simple calling (minimal long distance), email & some web surfing/Apps?

Last time I looked at consumer ATT service for the iphone, it was $150 per month for the smallest voice plan, the iphone data plan and the middle of the road text plan.