PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any meesekeeping tips for me?

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:19 AM
I just acquired my first Boreal Warmblood, Twinkletoes NWT, who is by the famous stallion Bogfire NWT and out of the mare Tamarack Foot. Other than bedding on peatmoss (a no brainer!) and soaking his hay, which must be very green, do you have any meesekeeping tips for me?

To My Surprize
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:22 AM
You will want to ensure that he has a large box stall, I would also recommend that you not place him in a stall with bars as he may get caught. I have that issue a few years ago and there is nothing pleasant let me tell you about a meese who is stuck and angry.....( shudder ) crazy memories...

Chall
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:32 AM
1. You must sing "Oh Canada, Oh Canada" each time you enter the barn. It keeps them calm.
2. Do not let your mares, your goats or any statues vaguely resembling a deer near him in rutting season.
3. Groom WITH the fur.
4. If he is a kicker you must put a red ribbon on his tail and if he is a gorer, you must put a "Al for President" button on his antlers.
5. Do not mention the word Mounties, that sets him off (see rule number #2).

That should tide you over your first week. Who is your farrier? I suggest a natural trimmer or a farrier who creates his own stock from bars.
P.S. Learn how to say the alphabet "A, B,... Zed" and make sure you buy him binkies for warmth in the winter. He will suspect something if your english is not up to par.

Polydor
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:33 AM
Having a swamp close by would help or at least a pool to hang out in. Most likely free choice hay.

any pictures of your new beastie?

P.

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:42 AM
Sorry, it's not the greatest conformation shot, but here he is last year as a yearling, in one of those awkward stages:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Moose-Gustav.jpg

All great suggestions, but Chall, what is a binky?

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:44 AM
I forgot to mention this above, but one of my greatest worries is how is he going to get along with my two thoroughbreds....

fancyfeet
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:52 AM
I find feeding Timbits (particularly sour cream ones) is very helpful. There is nothing worse than a grumpy herd of Meese (especially a mixed herd with TB's).

Chall
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:52 AM
Well he is gorgeous and you won't have any problems getting his head down and stretched out. Binkie= blanket. He has great conformation, but not quite the "soft eye" I look for in my meeses :eek:. If your TBs are Canadian you should be OK. If they are Australian they will get along fabulously as they both are more recently colonies of the British empire. You will have a dilemma if you have maple trees in your pasture though, as they are toxic to your TB's but your meese will take offense if you cut it down. Sorry, I don't know what to about that.

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Chall;4521634] Binkie= blanket. QUOTE]

Right, I should have known that! Do you suggest a high-necked style or one that stops at the withers.

Vitriolic
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:57 AM
Sorry, it's not the greatest conformation shot, but here he is last year as a yearling, in one of those awkward stages:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Moose-Gustav.jpg

He is lovely: a very promising youngster. You like to see a yearling with nice long legs. He will be very athletic and not too heavy.
My tip is to start now to teach him to back into the trailer. You want him to accept traveling backwards with his head out of the trailer so as to not hog the whole space. This is important when you are attending distant events with all three mounts. It gives the added benefit of keeping tailgaters at bay.

The TBs will be a little jealous at first of your new guy's superior speed and power. They will come to love and respect him in time.

Chall
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:10 PM
I suggest the high neck blankets. It's good for your back to stretch up, up, up. Start training him to accept a ladder now.
Perhaps you can get him dual citizenship so he will feel he has more in common with your TBs.
What registry are you planning to enter?

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:52 PM
Not sure about the registry--either Devonian or Precambrian. What do you think?
My younger TB will love him. He's a bit of a meese himself. Very slow moving and very curious.
The older one will freak. :eek: She's scared of ponies and donkeys.

Arathita
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:46 PM
I do believe that you have a hunter-type meese with that lower set neck and fine haunches.

But please do not speak the word "hunter" in front of your meese! This is very important. He will cower in his stall and pull on the bullet-proof blanket rather than consider pulling his knees up over fences. Do not use orange or kakhi colored anything. Confidence is everything. Consider calling the class "conformation leaper" or "fence springer at 3'6"". If confidence wanes, consider posting a picture of Rox Dene or Strapless with photoshopped antlers in his stall. And maybe a snow machine rather than a fan in his stall.

Good luck with your fine prospect.

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:53 AM
A hunter! Who would have thunk it? I was shooting (unfortunate choice of words) for a dressage meese but perhaps he is the next Rhumba... He would be particularly well suited to a hunter derby, I think, with all those natural obstacles. And he does have the requisite chrome...