PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading? Fav. books?

superpony123
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:15 AM
Because we have one of these every off-topic day, and no one has started one yet...

What're you reading right now?

What's on your list of fav's ?

Recommendations?

Well, as for me, I just finished reading Hamlet in school, as well as A Handmaid's Tale (by margaret atwood) which is very 1984 esque but in a different light and it's VERY interesting. for all of you who like dystopian novels, read it ! I was reading Gilead on and off, but haven't picked it up in a while. I'm about to start reading Superfreakonomics.

My favorite books are: (get ready for a long list)
Watchmen
The Great Gatsby
Water for Elephants
Secret Life of Bees
Everything is Illuminated
Looking for Alaska
Freakonomics
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Middlesex
An Abundance of Katherines
The Virgin Suicides
- also basically anything written by Milan Kundera (i think Unbearable Lightness of Being is my fav of his books)
- anything by anthony horowitz

snbess
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:25 AM
I am currently reading The Book Thief, which is along the lines of Diary of Anne Frank. Though it is technically "young adult literature", it is very well written and really, really good.

dghunter
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
There is one started if you want to take a look at what some others have posted :) http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234058

LearnToFly
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:31 AM
Favorites:
Harry Potter
Atlas Shrugged
Anthem
Wuthering Heights
The Time Machine

Kairoshorses
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:32 AM
My kids are reading the Warrior Cat series out loud to me.

And...here's a confession: As a literate-type person, I had NEVER read Jame Joyce's Ulysses, my SO's favorite book/author of all time. We read out loud to each other at night (we've read Lord of the Rings, Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn, Live from Golgotha, Catcher in the Rye, and others I can't remember out loud)....so I FINALLY agreed to Ulysses (or "useless" as I've heard it referred to before...).

Wow.

It's pretty tough to follow sometimes, but luckily, SO is Joyce encyclopedia, so I frequently get interjected explanations.

We're both Rhetoricians, so the fact that Ulysses follows the Odyssey helps. We're almost to the last chapter, Penelope.....and then I might have to read it on my own, probably skipping large chunks. :lol:

sisu27
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:33 AM
Anything by: Hunter S Thompson, Tom McGuane, Charles Bukowski, Jilly Cooper, Penny Vincenzi, Douglas Coupland.

I am re-reading some Bukowski right now...so good. My fave?

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-genius-of-the-crowd/

LaurieB
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:20 PM
For anyone who's into historical fiction, I just finished WOLF HALL by Hilary Mantel and it's really terrific. It's the story of Thomas Cromwell and takes place during the reign of Henry VIII.

jeca
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:38 PM
I just finished a really good book by a Vermont horsewoman. It is called Loving Ghosts by Robin May. Although it does have something to do with ghosts and otherworldly things, it is basically a memoir about everyday life and dealing with unexpected things. It was a really good read and horsey as well as a bonus. You can find it on Amazon.

Happy Thanksgiving

glfprncs
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:38 PM
I'm currently reading Phillippa Gregory's, "Earthly Joys." It's one of her older titles, but I'm enjoying it. This is the 2nd book of hers that I've read, and based on my experiences, I'll continue picking up her titles. I was never a historical fiction fan, however, these have enough scandal and smut in them to be enjoyable for me!! :)

lizajane09
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:38 PM
Harry Potter, Jane Eyre, anything by Jane Austen, Sirens of Titan... I think Jane Eyre tops the list though.

EqTrainer
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:41 PM
I just finished "Fortunes Rock", by Anita Shreve. Made me so grateful I wasn't born in the Victorian period. It's so easy to forget that it was not so long ago that women were treated very badly.

Before that was "Water for Elephants" which I found amusing and light reading, very nice for an all-nighter.

I have a new stack by my bed so will be starting something new tonight :)

Long Spot
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:49 PM
Right now, I'm sort of ashamed to say I am reading the book "written" by Richard Castle that goes with the the TV show Castle. "Heat Wave". It's cute. Obviously written by the show writers.

As for my favorites...

I love Larry McMurtry. Lonesome Dove is a fav but most of his other stuff I enjoy as well.

More timely stuff is Jennifer Lancaster's stuff..."Bitter Is The New Black" and "Such A Pretty Fat" etc.

As much as I hate the new vamp movement, I've always likes Laural K Hamilton and the Anita Blake series, though they aren't for the faint of heart. More than a bit dirty.

TXnGA
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:15 PM
Love love love Harry Potter, and have read it cover to cover many times over.

Will never ever get on the band wagon for Twilight- written for tweens and too lovey story/ vampire saga for me. yuck.

Just started reading through David Baldacci (?) titles and am really getting into all the gov't conspiracy type books at the moment.

Favorite book of all time: Pride and Prejudice, Witch of Blackbird Pond and Gone with the Wind. And of course Harry Potter

Do like James Patterson, and a very easy read by John Grisham: Playing for Pizza. Another good book by Sarah Gruen, is Flying Changes- yes it has horses in it. Also have read a few by Elizabeth Lowell, which I like, but they are an older print so hard to find at the bookstore, at least around here.

Non- Fiction: William Fox Pitt Biography; Pippa Funnel biography; Zara Phillips biography. (can you tell I'm an eventer)Going to start Glenn Beck's Common Sense.

Event4Life
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:17 PM
^Ugh, I am trying very hard to stay off the Twilight bandwagon as well. Difficult when my flatmates are obsessed. Can we start a support group?

Harry Potter probably tops the list.
Ian Rankin closely follows, especially the later Rebus novels (Siobhan is my favorite character! - I really hope he starts a series focused on her). Rebus actually lived one street over from me, haha.
Anne Perry's Pitt series
Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries
Robin Paige - the ones about Charles & Kate.
Emma & Pride and Prejudice
To Kill a Mockingbird was my all time favorite book in school.
I also liked The Great Gatsby.

I absolutely LOVE mysteries if you hadn't noticed, haha. There are definitely more but those are all I've got for now.

I read Ulysses for English Lit in 1st year. NOT an easy read. Spark notes saved me.

Rhyadawn
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:48 PM
My faves are Diane Gaboldon, Karen Marie Moning, Sherrilyn Kenyon, and unfortunatly the Twi Saga... (support group anyone?)