PDA

View Full Version : Covering up foot cast?

SarahandSam
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:57 AM
I broke my foot yesterday and have a big ol' cast on it. I am going to the orthopedist, and I'm hoping he'll give me a walking cast or something, but right now it's just a fabric cover and the toe is open.

I'm worried about a) my toes being cold, b) the grossness of someone having to look at my toes (for some reason a cast is wayyyy different than sandals), and c) the gauze and cast getting dirty and icky. Plus, it's been raining a lot in the past few days, and I can't get the cast wet. My Wellies won't fit over it. My socks won't fit over it. I feel like my options are either to wear a Christmas hanging stocking or wrap a plastic bag around it. Anyone have any ideas for cast-coverage?

harveyhorses
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:02 AM
Hi, a couple of friends and a sister have broken various limbs and wanted to cover them. I made them sort of tubes, with a closed end for the feet, open for the arms, I put some quilted material on the inside bottom up to the toe, found stretchy fabric, and went to work from there.
Do you sew at all?

SarahandSam
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:14 AM
No... but now that I'm stuck on the couch, maybe I'll learn! (:

Lone
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:29 PM
When I was in the same situation this summer I went to Walmat and bought some socks for 'Big and Tall' men, they're ginormous and fit over my cast/foot perfectly!

Grataan
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:33 PM
cut the toe off a large man's sock.

You can cover the body up with vetrap in various colors (or coflex makes one that says 'ouch' in like 5 languages lol)

Puglet
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:38 PM
I used a super stretchy trouser sock :D

pintopiaffe
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:34 PM
For outside, google "Haz Mat Disposable Boots"

My brother works in construction and brought me up a couple pair when I had on the cast 10 Thanksgivings ago. A men's size should slip nicely over the cast and a sock, and has decent tread on the bottom.

I was using the old plastic bags, but a) ran out since you wear through them in one set of barn chores; and b) the current plastic shopping bags wouldn't last 10 seconds not to mention 10 minutes. They don't even keep the GROCERIES dry. :dead:

There are different types of slip on boots if you go to EMS/Public Safety supply sites. Both were handy. The elastic edged plastic ones made to go over shoes/boots were good for shower/bath etc. The stretchy rubber ones with treaded bottom lasted about a month each, and were what I would use for chores.

Hang in there. Be GOOD to yourself and don't push it or it'll take longer to heal, and you'll always be able to predict the weather.

Ask me how I know this... :uhoh:

SpecialEffects
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:41 PM
I've had three broken feet in the last 9 months (one healed wrong and had to be rebroken) although I wasn't supposed to, I had to clean stalls and take care of horses, dogs, donkeys, etc. I had an Aircast which was easier but the best thing for covering my foot up before heading out into the muck and manure, was the plastic bags my bedding comes in. They're very strong. Cut to fit over the cast and duct tape it around my leg.

The nice thing about the Aircast was being able to put a sock or bag or a sock and bag over my foot before it went into the cast in addition the covering the outside of it.

Good luck!

tullio
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:55 AM
I had this problem a few years back - 1 week before Christmas and I had an enormous plaster cast from toes to knee.

My dad 'donated' some of his hunting socks (he'd be one of those big and tall guys) and they fit over it. My mom also picked up some polarfleece and made me a sock-type thing for it. Fleece is easy to work with even if you don't sew, since it won't fray or unravel. You could wrap either of those in plastic/duct tape for when you need to go out, and still stay warm.

Might as well enjoy yourself and get some holiday fleece, red and green vetwrap, etc. Get better soon!