PDA

View Full Version : Best Used Saddle Options for Poor Eventer

PnkPanthr
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:38 AM
Anyone have any favorite places to either A. Look for saddles(websites etc) B. Any particular brands that even used still last for a good while?

I am currently looking for a new dressage saddle, and would love to know if you guys have any suggestions!:yes:

Thanks guys!

kcrubin
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:14 AM
I had a very good experience with usedsaddles.com

Rick's Heritage has a big inventory but many times saddles are overpriced imo

scubed
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:18 AM
Middleburg Tack Exchange often has great prices and a reasonable selection:
http://www.middleburgtack.com/index.cfm?action=inventory&pCategoryID=D2DF6F93-C291-660C-4A72FCF258CF0594&name=Close%20Contact

Trubmull Mountain great to deal with average prices

Cory McGraw, high end used saddles, some great deals: http://www.highendusedsaddles.com/contact.htm

Fine used saddles: http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/

And, I have had great luck on ebay as well as just typing in the saddle I want to google and seeing what ads pop up

As far as brands, most of the high end brands will do well used, so you probably just want to see what you like. Obviously some brands are more commonly available used than are others

sunhawk
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:10 PM
I luv older stubbens, they tend to fit a wide variety of horses, and they last forever, and although the old saddles are hard as rock, I find the seats are shaped so well, they are comfy to ride in. The thing to watch for in the older saddles, you might find they fit well everywhere, but there is no padding at the back, which makes the saddle rock from front to back when you are posting, and puts more pressure under the stirrup bars and behind the shoulder.

Beam Me Up
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:53 PM
I have bought 2 (pretty well) used Niedersuss Symphonies in the past few years and have loved them--both the position they put me in and the durability.

I've had friends who've gotten really good deals on Counties as well.

Depending on the terms, ebay can be a good place to shop (if you can return). Make sure to check for poorly listed (misspelled) listings (like, search dressage saddles in general rather than Niedersuss specifically) as fewer people will find/bid on those.

dirtgirl
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:05 AM
Is there a good saddle-fitter in the area? I would seek out someone you can trust to help you find a saddle in your price range that also fits your horse well.

It's so easy to find a cheap saddle but a saddle that doesn't fit your horse well is no bargain. I have a terrific saddle-fitter and she understands that although I'd love to buy the top of the line Albions she reps, they are out of my price range and helped me find an older used one that worked for my horse and my pocketbook.

retreadeventer
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hey Pink, look for medium tree if you want for your TB. There are lots of good saddles out there. I second KCRubins take on Ricks - overpriced, many of the saddles are very old and have lots of wear. Be cautious about Ebay. THe saddles are just so individual and many people just don't give you enough photos to know if the saddle is going to fit or feel right - and if you buy from an individual it's really tough to get the free return all the time if it doesn't fit.
Why not get permission from the owners of any dressage saddles at your barn - and have a little "try on party" and check fit on your horse...then the ones that fit, girth up and sit in and see if you like -- then make note of the one or two that work and go shopping online at some of the sites listed for a used one. It might take a month or two to find the same model but keep looking every week or so and one will come up. Good luck!
H.

RunForIt
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:38 PM
Hey Pink, look for medium tree if you want for your TB. There are lots of good saddles out there. I second KCRubins take on Ricks - overpriced, many of the saddles are very old and have lots of wear. Be cautious about Ebay. THe saddles are just so individual and many people just don't give you enough photos to know if the saddle is going to fit or feel right - and if you buy from an individual it's really tough to get the free return all the time if it doesn't fit.
Why not get permission from the owners of any dressage saddles at your barn - and have a little "try on party" and check fit on your horse...then the ones that fit, girth up and sit in and see if you like -- then make note of the one or two that work and go shopping online at some of the sites listed for a used one. It might take a month or two to find the same model but keep looking every week or so and one will come up. Good luck!
H.

ditto ditto - but will add: giv eyour friends your list of what you want and specific needs...
never know who may hear of something and send you to it! Good luck!

Viva
Nov. 27, 2009, 08:39 PM
poor eventer--isn't that redundant? :lol:

Pelham Saddlery (NH) has a big selection of used saddles and they'll send them to you to try. I've bought several from them with good results.

The Klimke saddle, which used to be made by Miller and now I'm not sure who makes it, is an affordable saddle that a lot of people like, especially at the lower levels. Very comfy, unlike the Stubbens. It tends to have a wide twist--good when you're first learning to sit the trot especially.

Ditto what retread said--ride in a bunch of friends' saddles first to get an idea of what you like and what you don't before you spend a lot on shipping for trial saddles. Just don't sit in one you know you can't afford :D

PnkPanthr
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:54 PM
H.

thanks retread! very good idea. why must my favorite one be a Passier? :lol::cool:

scubed
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:35 PM
And since you're not too far away, consider the Bit of Britain used tack sale on December 12th. I know I'll have at least 2 dressage saddles there and am sure there will be lots of others.

clivers
Nov. 28, 2009, 08:34 AM
Find a good used Passier AP with jumping tendency. They can be adjusted, they last forever, and the balance is wonderful. Plus, you can find them for around $500 if you look!
If you're worried about an AP being to straight for jumping check out the photos on the Goodbye Radnor Hunt 3-Day facebook page. They're all of a friend of mine who went up through 3* level very competitively in her Passier AP with very long legs and riding quite short!