PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about bog (not bone) spavin....

GrayCatFarm
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:26 AM
I *may* be looking at a 3' or 3'6" packer to take me up the next level. I'll have to fly to try the horse, so this will be an expense and time off work. I've been told that the horse has bog spavin on both hindlegs. His show record is extensive. This is a five figure horse, but a packer is a packer! Also, I don't sell my horses, they retire with me so this is not a investment that I could "recover" from if it turns bad. I'd love to hear from anyone who has a horse with this issue and their experience with soundness and care. Thanks!

shawneeAcres
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:37 AM
Generally speaking, bog spavin does not cause lamenes. It is an extension of the joint capsule from excessive synovial fluid, usually caused by strain or poor hock conformation. If the horse has been doing his job with this and no problems it, bu iteself, wouldn;t worry me. However, I would xray hocks and see if there are any bony changes, as BONE spavin can cause lameness. I have never had a horse with bog spavin surprisingly, since I have had many horses through the years in my barn.

Leena
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
I agree with Shawnee acres on this.

I had one small case and fix the problem with more turn out. Also I recall I changed farrier...maybe the trim did not help. It never went back.

Good luck !

dropitlikeitshot
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:36 AM
One of mine began developing bog spavin, but with rest and good turnout it cleared up. Never was lame from it :) So, it's not a deal killer necessarily, but give it a look and xray of course.

findeight
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:56 AM
It's kind of like wind puffs down by the pasterns and a similar cause.

Unlike the last posters, I have had quite a few with cool, soft swellings around the hocks. No problems.

In an older horse? Fairly normal treadwear, long as it is a bog spavin, soft and cool? It is not a deal breaker in a horse currently in the same work you want it to do with no problems.

Obviously, with a 5 figure horse, a good PPE is in order...and joint injections may well become part of your routine.

findlymine
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:43 PM
Like everyone says its not that big of a deal if its not in the bone just in the tissue!!!

Soldier06
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:04 PM
My horse has a huge one in his left hock. Everyone told me "no big deal", vets, trainers, everyone. He'd had it forever but it was slowly growing and becoming firmer though he was sound and showing 3' and schooling 3'6. But once every 3 rides or so he'd over reach w/his right hind and clip his left front, so I insisted it be looked into further. He flexed horribly on the leg, he walked off lame when attempting to trot. It was ultrasounded, drained twice and religiously Surpassed for 6 months following.

Long story short $2,000 later and a month and a half later the horse has a soft, smaller bog spavin in his left hock and a tiny one in the right. If it is soft and not bead like feeling (only way to really describe it) I leave it be, when it's harder or he takes a wonky step on it I Surpass it (normally once every other day for 4 days) and it may be fine for 6 months. I think of it exactly like a windpuff, if it's soft and goes down after work we're good. It tends to be worse when he's not turned out, this past week has been a no turn out week b/c of rain and I've Surpassed it twice.

He flexed sound on the leg 2 weeks ago and in August so it appears to be a non issue (KNOCK ON WOOD) but I do keep and eye on it.

Ultimately, not a deal breaker.

War Admiral
Nov. 28, 2009, 08:37 AM
What everyone else has said. My Big Eq. horse developed them when we were both 16 but he made it thru my last 2 jr. years without problems. Just DO get it x-rayed.

GrayCatFarm
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:50 AM
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with this. I really appreciate it. Horse will be xrayed within an inch of its life in the PPE, and I will require that they release vet records of the horse before purchase.

Oakstable
Apr. 12, 2010, 09:18 PM
To the OP, how did the PPE turn out?

I have a youngster with a suspected bog spavin. I haven't had it radiographed yet but will be doing it soon. He hasn't been started yet. We live in a canyon so horses are turned out in a rocky hard 2 acre dry pasture. I have seen him cast on two different occasions. I think he has good hock conformation and I own the mom and she has clean hocks.

There are two squishy areas. Thinking about trying Back on Track bandages for him.

GrayCatFarm
Apr. 12, 2010, 11:11 PM
In the end, did not go down and try the horse.