PDA

View Full Version : Only in...

bumknees
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:15 AM
I am sitting here watching 'turkey bowl' yes ya got that right Turkey bowl. And I was thinking this can only happen in Ohio. More specifically the cleveland area of Ohio. I mean think about it where else would they even come up with the idea of hureling a frozen turkey down the floor of a grocery store to a tack of cranberry sauce cans to music of a polka band, with chear leaders from a local school with baloon artsts ec. To win a trophy with of couse a turkey on it... The turkeys and cranberry's are later donated to a local soup kitchen to be cooked today.

Then again this is he same area who holds the woolybear festival.( the first one in the country) the pumpkin slide( a group of people who slide on broken pumpkins down a main street of a small town), etc.

I got to thinking that this area of ohio can not be the only place in the world that does 'wierd'/unusual things tha make people go only in......

jengersnap
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:47 AM
Now now! My buddy near Tampa had us Turkey Bowling (without permission, ducking store security ;) ) down the Sams Club aisles back in '03! It's not just a northern thing; OH was probably just the first place they sanctioned it! ;)

We do a polar dip for cancer up here. People go in their skivvies into the fridgid water in January. Brrrr.

Frank B
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:52 AM
As far as throwing things, the folks in Delaware are a bit off the wall! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG2c9e7UAXY)

greysandbays
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:12 AM
:p I win.

WE have woodtick races.

And fishhouse parades.

dghunter
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:53 AM
My town is the official frog jump capital of Ohio :yes: Oh yes, each June we have a frog jumping competition in our local park.

BlueEyedSorrel
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:57 AM
I grew up in SW OH (not far from the celebrated "Touchdown Jesus" statue--google it) and lived for 4 years in Cleveland.

My high school had a fund raiser called a "cow dump." They painted a grid on the football field and sold off the squares. Then a cow was released on the field and the first square to get, um, dumped on, recieved a portion of the money.

Now, if I want to know what the good people of Ohio are up to, I just point my browser to news.yahoo.com and scroll down to the weird news section :lol:

BES

JoZ
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:22 AM
(not far from the celebrated "Touchdown Jesus" statue--google it)

Is that the same as the Big Butter Jesus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq01UYiMyHg)? :winkgrin:

BlueEyedSorrel
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:27 AM
Is that the same as the Big Butter Jesus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq01UYiMyHg)? :winkgrin:

Yep. Touchdown Jesus is AKA Drowning Jesus. I had not heard of Big Butter Jesus as a nickname, but I can see how it fits. Afterall, the state fair does have butter sculptures....

BES

Polydor
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:28 AM
We have the polar bear dip which we generally do in january or feb. Cut a big hole in the ice and people jump in. (they do have paramedics on hand). Never done that per say but have done glacier water dip... jumping off cliff into a fast moving creek that comes right off of a glacier in the middle of summer. Water is still only 4C or so!

There is a town in Alberta that has a gopher museum. Basically, your typical museum but instead of people they have gophers dressed up being pioneers and what not.

P.