PDA

View Full Version : Who all is far away from family this Turkey day?

missliz
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:19 AM
My family is all in KS and I am in Rwanda (missionary for 2 years), but I get to be home for Christmas

2 yummy meals today: breakfast for lunch with BACON (hard to get here) and then Thanksgiving with a missionary Swiss family-0-the lady is an AMAZING cook. THere will be Americans, Swiss and a Rwandan so it will be a truly international Thanksgiving.

pintopiaffe
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:22 AM
How VERY cool for you!

I'm sure it feels so very different, but *I* am very thakful for YOU and the work you are doing!!

I am not far at all, in contrast... 4.5 hours from 'home', which sadly is a bit too far to travel in winter due to water and hay issues. (summer I can get away overnight to two nights fairly easily.) I also work most holidays so people with local families can have time off.

I have to say, I just had a lovely visit with Da last weekend... and it is actually nice to have some time off today compared to the last 20 years or so of working 10 & 12 hr shifts. I love my family, but I'm looking forward to a quiet "unseasonably warm" afternoon with muddy shaggy ponies.

Equilibrium
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:41 AM
I'm in Ireland and family is back home in Maryland. I am hoping this is my last Thanksgiving and Christmas away from home.

I miss and love them very much!

Terri

pintopiaffe
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:45 AM
OOOhhh... but Terri, several of us would trade places... ;)

blueskye
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:08 AM
I'm in Tokyo. My mom is in Florida which makes this the perfect time to call: 9pm here, 7am there ; ) Thanks for the reminder MissLiz!

Equilibrium
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:24 AM
OOOhhh... but Terri, several of us would trade places... ;)

Very true, but after 8 years the magic does wear off!

Terri

gettingbettereveryday
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:58 AM
I just moved across the country, about 800 miles from home; so we can't afford to travel home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We'll be making lots of phone calls! Happy Thanksgiving, all.

BayHorseUK
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:16 AM
It's my fifteenth year spending the holidays outside of the US.... I usually spend the summers back in the states but I have promised myself that NEXT year I'll be there for either Thanksgiving or Christmas!!

see u at x
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:45 AM
I haven't seen anyone in my family since August of 2005 when I went home to Iowa for my grandmother's funeral. All of my siblings except one brother live there and it's just really hard to get back home. Plane tickets to Iowa from DC usually aren't super cheap and I always like to use my extra days off during the holidays to work my horses. (I know, I know...probably really selfish of me.) My best friend said that her mom would probably be willing to pay for a plane ticket for me to go home this year for Christmas if I wanted to, but honestly, I don't want to fly that time of year because people are always sick. Plus, who wants to visit Iowa in the winter?!? I'm hoping to go home and visit in the spring or summer next year instead.

eventgroupie2
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:46 AM
Our relatives are mostly in NJ, some in CA and OR, and we are in VA. We will be going to NJ for a short visit after Christmas, but are spending Thanksgiving with our family - one Corgi (Gumby), four horses (including Willie!!!! YEAH!!!! ) and two kitties :D:lol:
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and your families!

BlueEyedSorrel
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:53 AM
I live in MO, and my family is in OH. I normally make the 6 hour drive back for Thanksgiving, but for the first time this year, I decided to stay here. It started as a work-related decision, but I'm seeing some surprising benefits. For example, yesterday I had a lesson and then hung out with my pony:D instead of being stuck in traffic. Today I'm having dinner with friends and will be spared the annual loud political arguements that seem to have become a Thanksgiving Day tradition in the BES family. I was back in October for a wedding and will go to OH for Christmas, so I think I'm seeing plenty of family.

BES

JoZ
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:28 AM
I'm outside Seattle -- my family is outside Boston and on the Cape. I couldn't go home for the holidays last year due to weather, and I can't this year due to no job/extra money. Hope things will be straightened out soon!

Given my choice though, I wish that one of the big family holidays was in any season but winter. I get sick every time I fly in the winter!

laskiblue
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:07 PM
I'm in California and my family is in Michigan. Money issues preclude any travel either way for the foreseeable future. I am especially missing my adorable 1 1/2 year old great niece. :sadsmile:

On the up side, I have wonderful friends in California who are 100% family to me to spend the holidays with, including my 11 year old goddaughter and my 2 1/2 year old godson.

It would be bliss for me to someday have the two families together.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

ellebeaux
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:16 PM
I'm in New Zealand and my family is in Virginia.

We had a turkey dinner for 20 on Weds night, mainly Americans and Canadians, but also English, Irish, Kiwi and Germans. It was okay...The turkey was 9 pounds and cost $55. I must say it was awesome, though. There is no canned pumpkin so it took me hours to roast and puree enough pumpkin to make two pumpkin pies. They were awesome, too.

The funny thing about pumpkin pie is a lot of the Kiwis don't like it! How can you not like pumpkin pie? They eat a lot of pumpkin but consider it a savory, not a sweet. They told me it was 'weird', they 'couldn't get their head around it' and 'it's not for me'. Which is fine, just means more pie for me!!!