PDA

View Full Version : Turkey for Two?!?!

Vandy
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:22 AM
Despite a few very nice invitations, SO and I are having Thanksgiving dinner alone at the farm, as we've given the people who work here time off, and can't really get away for a few hours tomorrow. So...I had the brilliant idea that I'd cook a whole traditional Thanksgiving dinner (small portions) myself. Sure I'd have time, the only other thing I have to do is singlehandedly take care of 25 horses. WHAT THE $#$)#* was I thinking?!?!

Now I realize why this is the first time I've attempted my mom's famous Turkey soup: it takes 3 hours to make...with a food processor, which I don't have. Without the food processor, it's taking about 4. It better be good.

And I am nervous about the "split turkey breast" I'm cooking tomorrow - I've found this recipe that looks pretty foolproof, but really, it's just something I googled and it could just plain suck.

Also on the menu is a green bean casserole, garlic mashed potatoes, and homemade stuffing. Thank god I had the foresight to get premade cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie, or I'd be having a panic attack.

My mom's comment on my menu plan: "I can't believe you're not making my jello mold. Dean (SO) would have really liked that." :rolleyes:

Oh, and SO is on his family's ranch right now, 2 hours away. Last Thanksgiving, he had a cow emergency, and didn't make it down to our place until really late. He has no cell phone reception where he is, so I haven't the slightest idea when he'll show up tomorrow. No biggie, right? :eek:

Any advice /commiseration would be appreciated, especially if you have a great, foolproof recipe for a 2lb split turkey breast!

Plumcreek
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:42 AM
No turkey breast recipe (maybe slow cooked in foil with the stuffing?), but when there were just two of us, I baked cornish game hens with stuffing - one each, just the right size. Happy Thanksgiving to you. I am having a pot luck Thanksgiving dinner with my horse friends. The National Dog show is on mid morning on regular TV.

This beats last Thanksgiving when I drove 4 hours for a flatbed of hay, then stacked it.

Woodland
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:43 AM
Here is my recipe for turkey breast:

Place turkey cut breast down in crock pot. Pour a jar of gravy over it. Place the lid on. Turn it on high for 4 hours. Check temp with meat thermometer should be 170 F internal temp. If it is at 170, turn off the heat let it rest 30 mins and enjoy!

Vandy
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:52 AM
when there were just two of us, I baked cornish game hens with stuffing - one each, just the right size.I actually considered doing cornish game hens, but when I mentioned this to Dean, he was NOT enthusiastic. He did, however, express his desire to have pheasant. Since I hadn't the slightest idea where to find pheasant on the night before Thanksgiving, I opted for a turkey breast from Trader Joe's. Since TJ's had run out of some things on my list, I forged on to Whole Foods (2nd grocery store of 3 tonight, but I digress...) I'm looking in the Whole Foods meat case, and lo and behold, PHEASANT! I actually said, "DAMMIT, you have pheasant!" and the guy behind the meat counter looked at me out of the corner of his eye and walked quickly away. I guess my holiday stress is showing...

Note to self: Add "CROCK POT" to the list of things I want before next Thanksgiving, right after "FOOD PROCESSOR" ;)

nightsong
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:37 AM
I tried a turkey breast -- :dead::no::sigh:. The next year, went with the traditional turkey dinner (for ONE), and put the
leftovers' in individual freezer containers for 'tv dinners' whenever i wanted. Made soup with the carcass. Worked!!! My neighbor gave me a just-cooked turkey breast yesterday -- she had it in the oven even though she was leaving for her daughter's in a few hours, for four days :confused::confused::confused:. Too bad i don't have a dog to give it to...

ETA: it sounds like the Original Poster has REAL turkey breast, not the manufactured uber-processed dog food *I* was 'gifted' with. So, go to the Rachel Ray magazine site and find a recipe for from-the-butcher turkey breast that she had on her last-year's nov. magazine, whicj included a nice sauce with pan juices and wine. She has a whole Thanksgiving-dinner-in-an-hour that sounds SO yummy...

mothermucker12
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:02 AM
i guess no "pop-up" timer?

Chief2
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:26 AM
Get the idea here, and then adapt if necessary. It is a good site. We use it all of the time.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=turkey+breast

Plumcreek
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:36 PM
I actually considered doing cornish game hens, but when I mentioned this to Dean, he was NOT enthusiastic. He did, however, express his desire to have pheasant. )

I suppose being a rancher, he would know the difference by taste. They are about the same size....