PDA

View Full Version : BEST Molasses Cookie Recipe? Got one??

alittlegray
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:19 AM
Hubby really, really loved "Grandmas" brand molasses cookies. They of course no longer make them. So I am looking for the best tried-and-true cookie recipe I can find!

TIA!

kashmere
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:45 AM
Yes!

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter (melted)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses (I tend to err on the side of a little more molasses = delicious)
2 cups flour
2 tsps baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 cup sugar

(re: the spices-- I like to play around with them a bit; I've really enjoyed the ones I've made with some nutmeg in them, and fresh ginger is always delicious. My cinnamon also tends to creep up to 2 tsps.)

Mix the butter, egg, and sugar until smooth, stir in the molasses.

In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.

Slowly stir the wet mixture into the dry.

Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar into a bowl. Roll dough into ~teaspoon-sized balls. Dip the top half of the ball into the sugar, place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 farenheit for about ten minutes or until the tops get all crackly.

SO DELISH!

Emryss
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:13 AM
Yes!

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter (melted)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses (I tend to err on the side of a little more molasses = delicious)
2 cups flour
2 tsps baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 cup sugar

(re: the spices-- I like to play around with them a bit; I've really enjoyed the ones I've made with some nutmeg in them, and fresh ginger is always delicious. My cinnamon also tends to creep up to 2 tsps.)

Mix the butter, egg, and sugar until smooth, stir in the molasses.

In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.

Slowly stir the wet mixture into the dry.

Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar into a bowl. Roll dough into ~teaspoon-sized balls. Dip the top half of the ball into the sugar, place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 farenheit for about ten minutes or until the tops get all crackly.

SO DELISH!

Looks a lot like my recipe, but I double the clove/ginger spices. I really like my spice cookies to have a bite.

alittlegray
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:25 AM
Y'all ROCK!! Thanks a ton!!

rideagoldenpony
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:35 AM
Here's my recipe! Call me when they're ready! LOL

SOFT MOLASSES COOKIES
****NOTE: these are MUCH better after 24 hours -- they get moister with a little age

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. soda
1 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves
3/4 c. oil
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. molasses
1/4 c. honey
1 egg
3/4 c. milk

Mix dry ingredients, then mix oil with sugar, add egg, molasses and honey. Add to flour mixture alternately with milk.

Drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.

Bake at 350* to 400* for 12 minutes, or until done. (When done they will be very light brown on the bottom, with an edge of darker brown at the outside bottom.)

This is my all time favorite cookie recipe, and one that my mom made frequently when I was a kid. They are divine. Be sure to make them plenty big, and store in something air tight (tupperware or plastic bag). They are OK the day they are made, but a day later (and after), they are much better.

Bluesy
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:46 AM
4 Tablespoons coarse sugar (turbinado or demerrera or "sanding" sugar)(I use demerrara)
2 cups flour (I use whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 Tablespoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (I like mine spicy, so I also add in 1/2 tsp of all spice)
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup soy milk (I'm not a big fan of soy milk, so I use almond or rice milk)
1 cup sugar (I try not to use white sugar in anything, so here I use demerrara again - only 1/2 a cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla

best. cookies. ever.